Spitfire Audio sample playing delayed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Randlefish, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Randlefish

Randlefish Newbie

Hello, everyone

I recently encountered a weird issue using Spitfire Audio Symphonic Strings.
    The "Flautando" patch or the Violas does not playback smoothly as the other instrument's Flautando patches. It's way delayed when pressing a key, whereas the other ones are totally fast and responsive as they should be.

Does anyone have any clue about what this could be?

3. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

There is no delay really. It’s just that they preserved the bloom of the note. Most libraries w/long string articulations keep them in to make it as real as possible… A bowed string doesn’t sound instant like a hammered piano. Certain sounds take a small amount of time to build up. It’s common practice for mock up producers to assign negative MIDI playback to certain articulations. Some libraries might need -20-40ms of MIDI playback on longs. While they may need little no negative MIDI playback on their short articulations like pizzicato, staccato ect ect.

4. Randlefish

Randlefish Newbie

Hey, Mooger
    Yep, I am aware of that being done in order to preserve the authenticity of the articulation, but the thing is the same Flautando patch played by violins 1,2,celli and basses does not playback like that at all. They start as they are intended to to be as similar as in real life, whereas the Flautando patch of the violas is just of time.

5. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Gotcha... Any chance you could have changed some parameters & accidentally overwritten the original preset?

6. Randlefish

Randlefish Newbie

I doubt it, but I'll give it a shot and check it out. You cannot overwrite anything inside Spitfire library's window, so I suppose it should be inside Kontakt's own edit panel. Do you know how to check the MIDI playback offset?

7. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

@Randlefish I just tried cell violins & viola flautando & they all behave the same so IDK what to tell you brother. I'm sorry its not working well for ya...

CHECK YOUR PM

8. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

That is why about 6 or 7 years ago I stopped using their strings (and some percussion) for anything fast (don''t remember which product but I had issues with most of those that were available over the sister bridge, it happened on two computers and only with spitfire). Using them would quickly turn a piece of music with rhythmic staccatos into a mess and round robins had inconsistent attack times so each mixdown attempt could produce different result. Maybe they fixed it in later updates but I never looked back.