Spitfire Audio announces Albion V: Tundra

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Sonny Crockett, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Kapellmeister

[​IMG]

In what can only be described as a sonic odyssey, the Spitfire crew has travelled northern climes to research, discover and unearth the most naked, honest and glacial set of samples we have recorded to date. Returning back to London we set about recording an enormous orchestra - but not in a style steeped in the choral tradition, echoing angelic angels from above. We sought instead to create a sonic tapestry that was of this Earth. As if it was seeping through the moss on the ground, smelling of Estonian forests, Scottish lochs, Norwegian fjords, and evoking the sense of isolation when stood on the permafrost and tundra of Iceland.

For many years now Spitfire Audio has been recording orchestras of all sizes, but a theme that has run throughout our last decade is how to unearth and discover more naked and honest performance styles. We also understand that where sampling is concerned it's the quietest of levels where the real magic happens. By taking this into account, by studying the most popular recordings of Arvo Pärt, Sibelius and Gorecki, and by observing new emerging talent from Scandinavia and Iceland we were inspired to create a whole new set of tools.

Partnering with long term collaborator, orchestrator and contemporary composer Ben Foskett we set about recording a full dynamic set of samples where the top level was set at mp (mezzo piano, or kind of medium quiet) right down and through to the quietest recordings we have ever dared record. Our chief engineer opened up the hall at Air Studios to maximise its amazing early reflections and to liquify the fibrous and finely textured instructions we gave the 100 strong band of extraordinary London players. Samples we believe that have never been made before.

The Content

Tundra Orchestra
    • 100 piece orchestra recorded to tape at Air Studios, London
    • 133 multi dynamic orchestral articulations split across Strings, Brass and Woodwind ensembles
    • 38 violins with 32 articulations including 19 longs, 11 shorts and 2 legatos
    • 12 Celli and 6 Basses with 30 articulations including 17 longs, 11 shorts and 2 legatos
    • Brass ensembles with 17 unique articulations for both Mid and Low ensembles
    • Woodwind ensembles with 18 unique articulations for both High and Mid Ensembles
    • Legatos designed by Andrew Blaney
    • All have multimic control with Close, Tree, Outrigger and Ambients
    • Recorded by priceless valve and ribbon mics at the edge of silence
    • Neve Monserrat preamps into a Neve 88R desk
    • Recorded digitally at 96k via 2" Studer tape
    The “Vral” Grid
    • 32 hand crafted drones in our “Vral” Grid
    • Slowly evolving drones with varying loop points
    • All housed within our ‘Evo Grid’ engine for almost limitless randomisation
    Stephenson’s Steam Band
    • 138 Stephensons Pads housed in our eDNA interface
    • Organic sounds created from the orchestral material
    • 198 original sounds to create more content from
    Brunel Loops
    • 22 unique instruments with 52 presets
    • All played in triplets, 12ths, 8th and 16ths
    • Tempo-sync’d to your DAW
    • Played by the infamous Paul Clarvis
    Darwin Percussion
    • 20 percussive elements
    • Single patch for easy playability

[​IMG]

For more information and details:
    https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/albion-v-tundra/

:crazy:

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

... ... ...so... is this the counterpart of Metropolis Ark I...? I think.

4. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

No. Quiet passages only. High level of recording mp(mezzo piano).

5. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

It's the antithesis. They are worlds apart. And, I see the value in both. I'm going to check for the overview/walkthrough. I wouldn't have (well haven't) expected this in the Albion line. I thought they may be bringing out another EVO product.

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Spitfire got there way before Orchestral Tools with the first Albion, adding more delicate bits with Albion II and then low end with Albion III and weirdness with Albion IV. Albion V looks like it's mastering the low and quiet playing of instruments, but not sacrificing on volume/velocity like most libraries do. This should be pretty epic for scoring and this trailer immediately made me think of Hans Zimmer's Interstellar soundtrack and I think it will be great for that kind of vibe scores.