speeding up a song - question

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by empire, Jun 13, 2017.

1. empire

empire Newbie

hey friends. thank you in advance for your time and help

i have a newb question. started a dubstep track at 140 bpm in fl studio a few years ago. i've re-opened it, and want to speed it up to 150 bpm + add new elements. every time i change the project bpm, things go way off time and the project becomes a headache since there are so many vsts / samples / elements involved. now i'm considering just finishing it off at 140, then speeding it up later.

are there any repercussions to speeding up a dance track from 140 to 150 bpm after its final mixdown? djs speed songs up all the time to beatmatch.. but i've never questioned quality till now.

would it lose quality, or sounds when sped up? or sound worse than the original in any way?
    (i will be maintaining the same key)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

The repercussion is can you mix effectively at a tempo you feel is too slow? 'Quality' difficulty is also compensating for the loss of lowend 10bpm faster.

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

Steve, how many accounts do you have?:rofl:

5. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

The difficulty in upping FLStudio's bpm as you now wish to do is, as you say, loss of synch with some of the VSTi plugins. If they weren't locked to the project bpm, they'll quite happily continue as they were with the project set at 140 bpm.

Try upping the tempo of your original final mix with something like iZotope RX5/6 pitch and time correction. Leave the pithc "as is" and crank up the bpm. Things tend to sound wrong when you drop the bpm with the above method but upping the speed doesn't sound so bad that you can't live with it.

6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I've tried this before, but was only going 6 BMP faster so it wasn't as much of an increase. I think I used Elastique whit the material I was working with. Yeah, you may have to re-eq some especially the low end. I tried compensating for it while mixing at the lower BPM, but still had to tweak the end result.

7. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Start fresh. The Song will sound better anyway. Don't cling on to old stuff. It just slows down potential development.

8. saltwater

saltwater Guest

Ableton is pretty good in this discipline, there are many algorithms to choose from and you can set different values like formants and stuff.
    should be easy doable even if not familiar with that daw.
    major difference is if you stay on same pitch or go the "turntable way".
    but 10 bpm isn't that much so it will sound good either way.

then theres always the "hard work" way, which will offer the best result for sure.

9. G String

G String Rock Star

Better to change the tempo in FL, surely. Doing it post-render is going to be fairly hokey?

Why does it go out of sync at higher bpm? If it is samples - just make sure they are all locked to the current tempo and then you can change tempo properly. If the samples don't loop properly after changing BPM then you are missing a step.

10. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

Not auto BPM adjusting?
    You must have some fruity loops . . .

render/freeze then timestretch comes to mind in my OTHER software titles. HOPEFULLY FL STUDIO has something similar for you if the beats dont sync

11. Elisea

Elisea Guest

empire, you should run a certain (looped) part of your song with the new tempo and enable track by track in the mixer until you find something out of timing.

Now you have two possible sources of errors. First one could be an arpeggiator or lfo from a vst(i) that isn't synced with the project tempo. Just open the instrument or effect lfo and turn on sync.

Second case could be a drumloop or audio snipped that doesn't get stretched or tuned correctly from the FL-sampler. To get it right in time you have to open it (click in channel rack) and head to the time stretching section (first tab/top right corner). There you right click on "time" and chose the length of your loop. This is very important! Then turn "resample" to "stretch" and it should play correctly. Good luck!

12. mono

mono Audiosexual

Have you tryed this ?

13. empire

empire Newbie

havent upgraded to 12.3 yet - pretty much exactly what i needed. thank you for all the input homies <3