Spectrasonics Announce Keyscape - Maybe the only keyboard instrument you'll ever need

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Amirious, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

KEYSCAPE™ is an extraordinary new virtual instrument featuring the largest selection of collector keyboards in the world. Ten years in the making, each of these rare, sought-after keyboards were carefully restored and then deeply multisampled by the renowned Spectrasonics Sound Development Team. These compelling and highly expressive sounds will inspire you to PLAY!

[​IMG]
    The process began with going to the ends of the earth to find and restore each one of these rare and incredibly special instruments with the top technicians and expert craftsmen from each discipline. We even went as far as spending years redoing these instruments from scratch again and again until they were totally “right.”

[​IMG]
    This incredible attention to detail and meticulous care given to each instrument allowed us to develop these sounds to a whole new level of authentic tone and inspiring playability…and of course that’s just the start of how these instruments can be transformed into amazing new sounds with the STEAM Engine™!

Custom Controls
    The Custom Controls presented for each Patch allow you to go far beyond the original sound. The intuitive interface includes useful performance controls and high quality creative effects processing specially crafted for each Patch. Hundreds of included Patches showcase the remarkable versatility and ability to dramatically customize these iconic sounds to your music.

[​IMG]

Authentic Expression
    With many of these collector instruments, it’s really the imperfections that make them so interesting. Instead of cleaning up all the quirks and noises they make, we made sure to closely capture them since they are big part of their vibe. In addition to that, our software team closely modeled the authentic behavior and mojo of vintage amplifiers, classic effects units and unique subtleties like mechanical noises, pedal noises and release overtones to bring these sounds to a whole new level of authenticity and dynamic expression.

[​IMG]

Hybrid "Duo" Sounds
    Along with the hundreds of patches based on the 36 instrument models, Keyscape includes special hybrid "Duo" sounds, which combine two of the instruments to create something entirely new. The unique timbre of these Duo patches make them some of the most creative and inspiring sounds in Keyscape!

[​IMG]
    Omnisphere Integration
    As a bonus for Omnisphere 2 users, Keyscape also integrates fully as a satellite instrument within the Omnisphere® interface. Keyscape will simply appear as a library inside Omnisphere’s browser for users of both plug-ins. This allows Omnisphere 2 users to harness the full synthesis power of the STEAM Engine® to explore endless new sonic possibilities and combinations!

[​IMG]

Technical Specifications:

• Huge 77 GB library with over 500 sounds, 36 Instrument Models and Hybrid “Duo” Patches
    • Deeply Multisampled sounds with up to 32-way velocity switching, Round Robins, etc
    • Mechanical Noise, Pedal Noise and Release Noise behavior modeling
    • Patches feature authentic circuit modeled amps and effects
    • Optional “Lite” installation (30 GB) for stage use
    • Omnisphere® 2 integration

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL USERS

• 2.2 GHz Intel dual core processor or higher
    • 8GB RAM minimum
    • Solid State Drive recommended
    • 80 GB of free hard drive space (30 GB for lite install)

Mac Users:

• OS X 10.9 Mavericks or higher
    • AU, VST 2.4 or AAX capable host software
    • Native 64-bit host*

Windows Users:

• Microsoft Windows 7 or higher
    • VST 2.4 or AAX capable host software
    • Native 64-bit host*

*32-bit hosts are not supported for Keyscape. However, Keyscape sounds can be played within Omnisphere 2 which can operate in 32-bit hosts

Keyscape Boxed: $399 / €349
    Keyscape Download: $399

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

5. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

WoW, it even sounds great on the youtube vid. This will be the new standard to be heard on many albums and soundtracks from now on.

6. Impressive

Impressive Guest

$400?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Holy shit it's expensive. :woot:

7. Dazeon

Dazeon Ultrasonic

expensive = expressive

8. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

not for Impressive

9. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Kapellmeister

I'm pretty dissapointed with this whole thing. I mean you can expect much more from these people.
    It sounds good, no doubt, but, 10 years just for kinda more of the same? I watched a video about this yesterday and you can get these sounds either with other libraries or vsts or get close enough by moving some knobs. Plus, 80 GB for it? No way man, won't mention other company but Spectrasonics only, Omnisphere have thousands of patches and have less size.
    Again, it sounds nice, but I was hoping something else.

10. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

Eh yeah guy. 10 years of development it's not nothing :hillbilly:

11. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I do want it, though. I may actually buy this thing. Idk it sounds pretty nice. Right now I just use Arturia Piano-V & Wurlie-V & stuff. But this should be actually cool. There is something interesting about it. Because I'm looking further into it & it seems rather intriguing & cool. I think I'm gonna give it a go & bite the bullet. I'm hoping it will be a tasty bullet like when I made the decision to buy UVI Falcon. :wink:

12. mouse

mouse Member

At $11 per instrument it's not that expensive plus Omnisphere 2 users can use the synth features to create something more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Good point, my friend, good point. :invision:

14. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

I like old keyboards, so I'm fine with this library, but for a real game-changer thing I would actually prefer an extensive vocal library. We have guitars, basses, drums, keys and other instruments pretty much covered. It got boring. Oh, another piano, another violin, cello, another brass, piano again... But for vocals... We don't have much.

This could be something in the lines of Realivox Ladies and Blue and Soundiron stuff, but taken to the absolute extremes. If we had a vocal engine, which would sing almost everything we wanted it to. And not just in one voice or two or four. Singers of different nationalities, vocal timbres, vocal styles, music genres, all in one tremendous library. Fuck 77 gigs, if this alone would require 4 terabyte drive, I'm all ready for it.

You need any operatic solo voice or choir the other day? It's there. The next day you're working on African tribal music? You got it, African women choir sings their tribal voodoo. Suddenly from Africa you go to Alaska and you need Eskimo guys to sing a song like they do in their hot smelly wigwams or whatever? Eskimo hot shit is waiting for you.

You want an intimate jazz singer to sing a sad song for an alcoholic loner to cry and die or you want her to scat like Ella on steroids? Yes. You want pop singers of all kinds? You wanna rock singers of all kinds? Metal growlers/screamers? Backing vocals? You name it. It's all there.

Now this would be the king of all game-changers. But they won't do it. I'm not even gonna bother explaining why. The answer is obvious. And it would probably cause violent riots involving any people with slightly advanced vocal capabilities. Major city police concern.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. mouse

mouse Member

I remember when synths came out and musicians argued that it would make them redundant. That never happened! Synths still require a person to make them make music. Making a virtual singer that really works may just do that! What happens when there are no more singers and the samples stop being made because we ran out of fuel? If you can't sing, (I can't), then concentrate on the music.

16. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

17. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

mouse I can tell you the same, don't ever use any virtual instrument in your work and always hire professional human performers for recording sessions. can you pull that off? no. you can hire pop singer or rock singer, maybe opera singer too, some backings, but what's for the native stuff or some rare vocals you cannot get but you need? what's for the choirs? how do you get all these guys in your studio to sing? you don't. and that's where you need vocal libraries. I think, it's too obvious to even explain, really.

also, why do you think you are in the right to use virtual instruments and replace the musicians who play them, but when it comes to a vocal instrument, you can't replace a singer? I don't see any difference. double-standard much?

if you don't want this kind of vocal library, I don't care at all. I want it and there's a hell lot of people interested in such thing. does virtual cello replace a real cellist? no. does a virtual guitar replace a guitarist? no. does a drum machine replace a good drummer? no. so I don't mean it has to strip singers of their jobs, but it would make work of producers who cannot always afford a vocal session a hell lot easier. this is what all these virtual instruments are made for in the first place. because if all of us had resources to hire pro musicians all the time, software developers would go bankrupt the very next day. or they simply wouldn't exist, because there wouldn't be any need in their existence.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  18. mouse

mouse Member

Wurlie Rocker I agree with you and understand what you say. The thing is that physical instruments are what they are and can be imitated. The human voice is somewhat different in that there are billions of them and all have their own nuances. Saying that, the sort of library you suggest would be of great use to many people, myself included. For me I love the beauty of a real person performing and embracing the unique talent that they express. A Steinway D is a Steinway D it can sound different depending on the player but a human voice is unique.

19. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

"The only keyboard instrument I will ever need" would also include organs i.e. Hammonds and Farfisas and Vox, etc. Surely they could have added those in 10 years, but I guess 100G wasn't feasable 10 years ago.

20. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

mouse Well, many musicians in their own right would say their performance is unique or their instrument's voice is unique. It's the same again. For today the conflict of interests is not critical. Music performers make their money, hardware/software developers make their money. For now music performers know they are irreplaceable regardless of what quality product developers have to offer, though, I imagine many of these musicians would want all these virtual instruments and midi stuff gone anyway. They don't like the very idea of it, they don't like even a slight theoretical probability of their replacement or the replacement of their physical instrument. Not to blame them, no one likes to be replaced, it's true. It's the question of one's bread and butter. But if developers raise their game and come up with something game-changing in the future, something that could rival real human performances, this shaky balance will be broken and a revolution in music will begin. Scary times for ones are always exciting for the others.

westfinch a couple of days ago I've already left a comment on their page, telling them to consider Hammond organs expansion for Keyscape. I think I can live without transistors, but Hammonds esp. for this kind of "all in one" vintage keys library is an absolute must have.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  21. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Hm, if you compare the price to Pianoteq Pro (which is the same), you should propably go with this.
    OK, Pianoteq needs only 40MB of space and sounds fuckin' fantastic for physical modeling but here you get real recorded
    stuff so it does sound better in any way. And if you have to decide for what you pay your next 400 bucks,
    you know where you go.