Spectral Editing: Spectral Layers Pro? Premiere? Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lambchop, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Both look great in demos (I know, i know, cherry-picked demos, still tempted); which to try/any alternatives? Hope this is the right place to ask.

3. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

iZotope RX 6 Advanced? Isn't it like.. a "standard"? :dunno:

Edit: now, SLP can probably deal with some sound manipulation in a way that Rx can not and Rx is probably better at other (audio restoration, repair, de-noise, de-rev, ..) They are not exactly the same thing. If you mean Adobe Premiere, I would be surprised if it had the capabilities of the above. But, if you need a quick n/r fix..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  4. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

@Matt777 Thanks, checking it out now. I'm clueless.

5. I believe Edison can also be used to edit spectrally.

6. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

@superliquidsunshine, Edison can display a spectrogram and apply eq to a selection, but that's about it. I'm talking about literally editing that spectrogram, like editing a picture in Photoshop

Edit: Fruity Loops lets you do the opposite: instead of letting you edit the spectrogram, it lets you drag pictures into Harmor, to do this sort of thing:
    [​IMG]

If conversion in Harmor & the spectrogram in Edison were not lossy (if the process was <=> reversible), I could switch Edison to spectrum view, screencap=>Photoshop, edit out the unwanted freq @ some point in time (let's say Sam's eye), draw something else, load result back into into Harmor and ...that's pretty much what I'm looking for. See what I mean?

@Matt777, looked at a couple of demos, seem to be focusing mainly on select & tweak knobs noise reduction (pretty amazing). Does it have more ...idunno, manual features, like above (as in eraser, magic lasso, paintbrush) vs. clever AI?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Premiere is a NLE, not an audio tool. Try Audition from adobe instead. BTW all of them can do FFT editing, but what's your intent? DO u have a specific task/job in mind?

8. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Gah. Meant Audition.
    See post above.

9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I see and all I can say is that I'm 99% sure Rx is not the tool you are searching for. It is a super-pro tool, that can do too many things to list here. It has various methods of selection (lasso inc), but it is all about selecting harmonics, adjacent areas for correction,.. and is geared and developed towards almost "forensic" adjusting of audio material..

Don't know enough about SLP, but I guess even with that one you wouldn't be able to do what you want because frankly it doesn't make sense sound-wise (the result being totally unpredictable).

IMO it would be usable only for kind of experimenting - nothing wrong with that - and the procedure is what you described (/w screen capturing + PS) - of course knowing nothing about the "audio" content (e.g. frequencies) that you are (re)touching.

10. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

An advanced scientifical instrument for real grownup professionals, huh? And forensic? I'm down with deviant sexuality, but ...we're doing srs khrymes here too?
    I see. So something like this is definitely out of the question then?
    [​IMG]
    Feel so unprofessional after doing it :(

11. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Personally don't know of any spectral editing software /w Photoshop-like capabilities..
    I'm down to... amm lots of stuff :hillbilly: You can lol, but Rx is used as "Ful Service for Forensics", as they call it::chilling:

Stories from a Pro: Matt Boudreau
    Long-time recording studio owner Matt Boudreau shares how he uses iZotope’s complete audio repair software, RX, to clean up SFPD's undercover audio recordings.

https://www.izotope.com/en/community/artists/post-production/matt-boudreau.html

12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

You do now :) https://vid.me/zEl0p (SpectraLayers). Pretty intuitive/photoshoppy too (layers w/properties, brushes, erasers, cut/paste, pen pressure, etc., only ctrl-z (instead of ctrl-alt-z) takes some getting used to (that, and still can't figure out how to set loop points !selection). Loving it :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  13. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

The only superior albeit extremely expensive option which has been around for years now, Well before RX is of course CEDAR Audio's stuff. I'm perfectly happy with RX though, It is in many ways a lot more versatile than any of CEDAR's alogrithms and I believe they offer a set of native plugins, The price is eye wateringly brutal though. If I somehow ended up in forensic work audio work wise then I could easily justify the prices, Yeah here is the native "studio" https://www.cedar-audio.com/products/cedarstudio/cedarstudio.shtml
    and here is the homepage and then then forensic specifics https://www.cedar-audio.com/index.shtml
    https://www.cedar-audio.com/forensic/forensichead.shtml > You know it is rough money wise when there is no price even mentioned anywhere on page but rather an e-mail for inquiries!
    The features in RX6 Advanced are bloody awesome, The way that it is really so fast to match ambience, De-EVERYTHING a voice over along wth anything else and then Isolation of dialogue along with the really rather spectacular match EQ that really works on such a variety of sources as a few examples is total wet dream processing abilities of a few people I know whom work on/in the post-production area, Price wise also it's really difficult to jump for really fair considering the power and quality RX offers against the admission price of the best that CEDAR have.

Cheers for that article link, I always enjoy such reads Matt777, I'm off to check it out. All the best :wink:

Dean

14. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Pay-

Dedicated graphical editing tools best suited for editing or creating sounds, such as various sprays to enhance, suppress, erase or create features, including a harmonics modifier to apply all modifications to a frequency and its harmonics at once.
    Layer system similar to Photoshop's, with layer groups and various layer blending modes, including exclusive layer convolution modes.
    Extensive graphical/mathematical operations specially adapted to spectrogram editing which allow you to apply all kinds of effects, from the most common (such as EQ, compression, denoising...) to the weirdest (envelope reversion, spectral gating, pitch inversion, spectral quantization...).
    Processing in third-party image processing programs by exporting images to BMP files and importing of the externally modified images.
    Rhythm and note overlays to help with music composition.

http://photosounder.com/

beleve call of duty use this

http://charlieintel.com/2014/05/01/...ed-in-the-next-call-of-duty-new-hidden-image/
    https://charlieintel.com/2014/05/01/hidden-audio-image-from-next-call-of-duty-found-in-black-ops-2/

Free-

arss v0.2.3 freeware commandline same dev of photosounder
    use this for sound2image

virtualans freeware
    import image from arss for edit

you must play settings for audio from arss to sound similar to audio inside virtualans

^some idea for alternatives^ i wish virtualans+photosounder have baby together in future

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

16. s'ma no acid krew

s'ma no acid krew Noisemaker

haha, what a hilarious description and utter shit.
    many advanced spectral editing software out there as mentioned here

i think this is missing
    http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/spectro/
    http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/
    www.oli4.ch/laoe/home.html

which company makes music software for "professionals" ? I soley am aware of ones creating stuff for music makers.
    what are professionals anyways? either someone earning money with music or some prick acting as if he/she/it were sth special

warm regards to all lovely cunts here

17. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Reaper has spectral editing built in, i dont know if it does exactly what you want though.

18. Recoil

Recoil Guest

Samplitude Pro X has built-in spectral editing
    example:

[​IMG]