Soundtoys replacements?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 4096, Apr 27, 2024.

1. 4096

4096 Producer

Doing some house cleaning in my plugin library. Deciding what to keep.

I want to sell Soundtoys Effect Rack, because I just don't like the slow updates and the dated UIs and I also have superior replacements in some cases, plus I'm not sure what Soundtoys will be doing in the future, so not sure about keeping them even from an investment point of view.

Similar plugins I own:

Softube Harmonics (= Decapitator), Wave Alchemy Radiance (= SuperPlate), Eventide Clockworks and some stock stuff.

What I mostly care about: MicroShift, Devil-Loc, EchoBoy and the irreplaceable Radiator.

Are there any plugins that can do the same job? Especially wondering about Devil-Loc. While Omnipressor gets close, it just has a different sound. Also I am yet to come across any Radiator replacements. It just sounds too good.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. daval

daval Member

For radiator, you can try black rooster OmniTec 67A. I think they are both emulations of altec preamps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

They had Little Radiator as a freebie. Also Little Plate. they are decent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. 4096

4096 Producer

Wait, I have both of these freebies! And the EQ in the full version of the Radiator could be replicated outside of it anyway...

Then there's three more left: Devil-Loc, MicroShift and EchoBoy (which I could just not sell and use its' native license which I got for around 30).

6. 4096

4096 Producer

I'll be honest, I have been avoiding BR, because all I've read is how they're "not good enough". Well, downloading it now. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

7. daval

daval Member

really? well, i've been using black rooster for a very long time. i think they are fine and very cheap at sales. their compressors are very nice.

8. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Soundtoys isn't going anywhere.

I'm sure there are "replacements" etc, and yeah, I agree that they need a facelift for some scaling issues and whatnot...

But what would you get for your "rack" in a sale?

No chance for me.

I'm holding on to my beloved Soundtoys in perpetuity regardless of what comes down the pike, as the shit has worked great for me for a long long time.

When it comes time for "house cleaning"... Soundtoys ain't gonna be cleaned.

9. stopped

stopped Producer

soundtoys being dated just means they're moving from 'current' to 'classic', I'm keeping it too

10. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Yeah, I think it would be safe to say for me, that other then whatever my daw provides, and certain third party instrument plugs, between them and Valhalla, (FabFilter on fringe)... I can get it done with that prior to mastering..

I'd dump waves (and have), or f Acoustic Audio, absolutely UAD, or IK, or Native Instruments fx or whatnot before them...