Soundtoys. Give a Little. Get a Little.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex Philipp, Dec 11, 2015.

1. SonicBoomer

SonicBoomer Producer

A few bucks to save a life, is by far, one of the better things I did this week.
    I spent more on coffee.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  2. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Gave $15 since I'm a nice guy. Hell, one of those people who drown over there could have been my father. I'm a giving guy at this time of year.

3. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

Cmon guys...they're practically giving away the plugin. Give at least a dollar and help someone.

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I dont really want their little plugins... at the same time, Im not for people flooding countries that arent theirs and living on welfare that these countries cant afford to even give their own people.

Rise up.. fight in your own countries for your own rights and sovereignty.

I'm not against charity, I give to local charities in my own town and also red Cross... IMO..they need to save themselves.

If i thought it was all women and children, I might think differently, but most of the footage ive seen of the so called refugees, its mostly fighting aged young muslim men spreading themselves across EU, eating up resources and leaving filth, trash and crime everywhere they go.

FFS at least clean up after yourselves.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

6. Spacely

Spacely Producer

I hope Devil-Loc is next thats the only one I don't have now.

7. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Grab these guys, along with 3 of their annual SXSW promotions have reduced the "Upgrade to SoundToys 5" price for me down to $330, which just about makes up for shitty CAD exchange rate.

8. Compassion actually costs nothing, but on the other hand, indifference, meanness, animosity and harsh criticism certainly do.

9. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

From their homepage:
    Every life matters. We spend 90% of the donations we receive directly on saving lives.

I assume the remaining 10% is a reward for their generous effort. Which in return is a help to their public image and personal advertisement.

As for the rest, I'm too bored to analyse it as it's too complex but I'll say three words: Smuggling and state sponsoring.

(And, as I said, it's not so much about the refugees themselves but those who take advantage of the situation)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  10. floond

floond Platinum Record

They do spend some on fundraising & PR and a tiny slice of the pie on administration yes. There will be some overhead in any organization and 10% is actually low for a charity. Any organization claiming to spend 100% directly on whatever their cause is, is with 100% certainty a scam. Studies have shown that overhead ratios are pretty useless for evaluating a charity's efficiency or "altruism" though but it's certainly an understandable factor for many donors. As the saying goes it takes money to make money, and money spent on fundraising leads to more donations which leads to more lives saved in the end. But you are right, the CEO likely makes a salary as in any other organization, profit or non-profit.

I'm sure there's more safe and well-established routes for smuggling than a raft over the Mediterranean. Many tons of khat makes its way to northern Europe where I'm at on a daily basis for example because the Somali community prefer fresh leaves. None smuggled by raft I'm sure lol.
    "State sponsoring" I'm not 100% sure what you mean by as English is not my first language. I assume you allude to state-sponsored terrorism which wiki defines as "a designation applied by the United States Department of State to countries which the Department alleges to have "repeatedly provided support for acts of international terrorism."" So the US & Saudi sponsored mercenaries we see pop up in every country where the US wants a regime change? Well the refugees are actually fleeing those...
    Of course one can't rule out there's Daesh terrorists on those rafts although I'd guess they have plenty of funds for a fake passport and a business class seat on a plane. But the slight chance of that is not really a valid reason to let thousands of people drown IMO. We don't shoot down each and every passenger plane either although some of them likely transfer radicals.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Politics and Music should not mix.
    Soundtoys is offering to test limited versions of its plug-ins for free (no money goes to the developer anyway). That's it for me.

If the guy wants to support migrating people, that's his call. No problem with that. But I personally prefer to give some money to people who sell flowers and have been killed by islamic terrorists in Paris one month ago.
    Last thing but not least: People who are trying to make others feel guilty because they grabbed those "littles" for free just make it worse.

12. remix

remix Platinum Record

this is such a glib statement...easily made yet meaningless....

who wants hordes of syrian, somalian, eritrean. afghani and iraqi young men swarming all over their town...

some parts of Europe are becoming unrecognisable...

its very easy to say saintly statements on the internet...

the reality is much different...

13. What part of what I wrote has anything to do about "who wants hordes of Syrian, Somalian, Eritrean. Afghani and Iraqi young men swarming all over their town...some parts of Europe are becoming unrecognisable..."? Yes for sure, your "reality is much different" than mine. And yes, there are many new Eritrean people newly living in my village here in Europe. They have nice big and bright smiles now that their new village here is safe from the men with the guns and bayonets and that their mothers and daughters are not able to be used as currency and kidnaped and raped. Is this a bad thing when it most certainly could have been you and your's? It could easily happen here in cozy little Switzerland or wherever in Zion that you live. Treating others as you would hope yourself to be treated is the currency that I am talking about, not whether you should buy some software to support the people you seem to have such feelings of disdain towards.

14. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

This week
    [​IMG]

15. OCD

OCD Member

I just bought the entire SoundToys 5 bundle on Black Friday for 50% off, so I already have these plugins they are offering in the "Give a little, get a little" Xmas promo. They are cool, trimmed down versions of the full versions in most cases, with the exception of Little AlterBoy, which has no full version, per se.

I really don't use to "little" version, as I tend to use the full versions first. However, for someone on the fence or waiting to buy the full sound toys 5 bundle, these little plugins are a great place to start. Don't be a heartless prick. If you gave 10 bucks per free plugin (4), it would still cost you 50% of the full price of ONE of these plugins (80).

That said, I wonder how much, if any, of the money I paid them 2 weeks ago will be donated?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

This week Soundtoys give us devil-loc
    [​IMG]

Another good little news for Mac users.
    Also It good opportunity for all who get latest AudioUTOPIA release to support REAL toys makers as much as they can in their Give a Little, Get a Little holiday campaign.
    CHEERS!

17. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

Damn I missed the devil loc one for a dollar...

18. floond

floond Platinum Record

You could apparently have gotten it for $0...

still it appears some chipped in:

19. ingehai

ingehai Noisemaker

"I dont wanna live here in the woods with no facillitys,i want to live in the big city as im used to"

Thats a fact that the ppl who runs away from the poordom like to have it their way or choice to not stay,wheres the gratefullness m8s?

20. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

@floond That's beautiful man. To be honest, as happy as I was about getting the plugins, I was even happier giving to the cause. I feel like I must get devil loc by all means because it's the last one i'm missing hahaha :rofl: