(soundradix.com) SurferEQ 2

Discussion in 'Software News' started by thantrax, Aug 26, 2016.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@Delord I am trying to understand in what way would you benefit from the "reverse" frequency + side-chaining. I use the plug as a correctional frequency tool and also to correctly boost for "cosmetic" purposes while mixing, without having to spend much time in automating frequency changes for mono tracks. Avoiding overlapping frequencies with similar tones is common anyway whether you are sidechaining or not. If something escapes me, i 'd be glad to learn :)

2. Delord

Delord Member

I finally found a funny trick : I put the output of surfereQ in the input of the multiband sidechain of the other track. Multinotes tracking, making a moving freq hole ... so the melody line is always on top:yes: It was that simple!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Aaahh, i see now, you wanted to make a moving hole in the spectrum against competing channel(s) so to keep the lead melody on top without having to rely in drastic volume changes or cumbersome eq automation etc. Makes much sense, especially in EDM sub-genres or cluttered pop/rock mixes to keep the vocals or lead instruments persistent. Coolness.
    Best of luck with your tracks mate :)

4. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

does anybody use this eq?

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

All the time man, is there something specific you wanna know ?

6. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Well, I kinda re-invited this plugin on my pc, because I grabbed it when it was released and forgot about it since.

at this moment I really like it on my current mixes as the first eq to hit the vocals.

But I technical side has me hesitant about it. Equalizers always shift the time domain.
    Add shifting frequencies with that, and phasing comes around the corner.

now in this pluigin I spot non of that, there is not beeing talked a lot about this plugin on the www.
    is it some nifty trick from the developer?, or is my monitoring not sufficient? (could be possible no offence taken)

is it good enough to use it on the most critical channls of your mix?

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Well... i am not aware of how good your monitoring is my friend since you didn't mention, but if you are able to spot phasing with other EQs in your system, then it would be safe to say that it's fine. I haven't spotted any phase shifts either and i have used SurferEQ in crowdy mixes with a lot of channels, and it would be fair to say i have a pretty good monitoring sys (Focal Twins + Sub 6) and a properly isolated and treated control room. I do have more monitoring options as well but not as adequate.
    Now i know the plug quite well but nowhere (including the manual) is it mentioned that they use a specific techology to avoid phase shift.
    Still, because SoundRadix also make Pi, a phase interactions mixer ( https://www.soundradix.com/products/pi/) and the Auto Align phase correction plug ( https://www.soundradix.com/products/auto-align/ ), which i find both excellent too, my guess is they know quite well how to avoid phasing and surely there must be something more than what is mentioned.
    Imho the plugin is surgically correct & transparent and i love it for its surf mode and midi control. I use it a lot on mono channels, Vocals , Bass, drum channels etc. Even without its surf mode use it is still an excellent EQ to be used on everything, with the only catch being it could use more Q options.
    Yeah i know not much mention on the web, gearsluts or other audio forums or audio tech websites, but for me it is unique and unmatchable so far, and really smooth sounding. My guess is the high price compared to other eqs puts off many people.
    For what it's worth my other go to EQ plugs are Fab Filter Pro Q2 , Brainworx BX digital V3, TDR VOS SlickEQ – GE. I do own a couple of hardware units too but thats another story heheh.
    Cheers mate and if we don't talk till next year, happy new year:)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

@taskforce, Thanks for your input!

Very interesting, that's my exact eq rig. :bow:

on a totally unrelated topic what is your favorite 1176 emulation (or equal fast attack comp?)
    started out using waves, tried t-racks, like slate the most because of the dry/wet knob (noted that I don't got acces to uad plugins)

Same too u :like: and thanks again, you took away any doubt and Iwil check radix Pi soon:excl:

9. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@Kwissbeats, I too have used the Waves and TRacks 1176's. Never really demo'd the Slate offering, but the mix knob idea is intriguing.
    Currently, I'm testing the TimP Nebula preset. Trying to get used to it. So far I really like the sound of it. Adjustment is different though, because it is Nebula, so like Aqua's, there's a lag after you twist a knob.
    About Pi, I really liked what it did to my mixes, tone wise. It crisped things up nicely, but introduced some shifting in the sound when for instance using doubled guitar parts or vocal parts. I think it had difficulty determining the correct phase. I likely could have solved it by adjusting the weighting. Using it in Sonar was a challenge as it is a post fader effect. I created a separate bus for each track, and placed an instance of Pi on each.