(soundradix.com) SurferEQ 2

Discussion in 'Software News' started by thantrax, Aug 26, 2016.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

SurferEQ 2

[​IMG]

SurferEQ 2 is a high-quality equalizer which can handle conventional EQ duties with ease. However, it’s the unique pitch-tracking capabilities that give it its name, and which allow you to fundamentally reshape melodic parts or bass-lines in ways no ordinary EQ could manage.

Version 2 enhances those capabilities with control of Surf Time and Pitch Detection settings. It also adds gating features for each band and an external sidechain input which open up whole new worlds of possibilities, allowing you to make parts of your mix interact in interesting and useful ways.

Changes in SurferEQ 2

• Side-chain input: Makes it possible to use pitch from another track to process polyphonic audio tracks to make “space” in the mix.
    • Spectral Gate (normal and reversed): Allows engaging or disengaging the EQ when the input level crosses a set threshold level.
    • Live mode with zero latency.
    • Four new and extremely creative Harmonic Filter modes.
    • Morphing filters.
    • Surf-time control: Allows setting the speed at which SurferEQ will “Surf” from one note to another.
    • HP and LP Surf-frequency limit: Allows setting a limit to the high- and low-pass filters when Surfing.
    • Undo/redo.
    • PACE iLok provides easy installation and mobility.
    • Completely re-designed, retina-compatible and OpenGL optimized vector graphics UI.
    • Spectral Level Meters.
    • Frequency analyzer.

SurferEQ 2 for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX) is available for the introductory price of $129 USD until October 1st, 2016 (regular $199 USD). The upgrade from version 1 is $29 USD during the sale (regular $49 USD). Users who purchased SurferEQ after June 1st, 2016 are eligible for a free upgrade.

More info here

Source
    Sound Radix

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Demo by Dan Worrall. Must........buy......surfer.....eq2....must......kill.....to....get.....money.....to....buy....surfer.....eq2

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Best Answer
    aha the voice by Dan Worrall :) everything sounds magic with it.

5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Creative. Surgical. Note Surfing. Classic. Transparent. Clean. And more.
    Unusual and one of the best for all in one spectral works. I like things like that. Innovations. No hardware can do this. Even the most expensive.

6. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

sounds like a real time-saver. wonder how well it works.

7. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

Wow, that's a hell of a plug-in. Wonder how easy/hard it will be to wrap my head around all the things it's capable of and execute as fast as the demo video...

8. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

You can get the demo on Sound Radix site but you have to log-in.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Can I use it without it killing the CPU?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Proud owner here :)
    I have recommended SurferEQ some times here and to my studio clients who produce in home studios but the high price is repelling most users. V2 is better on the cpu, v1 was a bit of a resource hog, but with a plug like this, you would probably want to use it destructively unless you have a really high end pc.

12. Delord

Delord Member

Ok it's a great and unique tool. But i saw a lot of "expert" tutorials on the net and no one can tell how to handle the interactivity betwen the tracks.
    Let me explain, because the eq is moving with the melody of the track how is it possible to get the "inverse" interactive action on the same space sidechaining the other tracks .
    The goal is it to use that tool mainly for "leads track"? :thumbsup:

13. zqone537

zqone537 Noisemaker

If you use Reaper I think it would be possible to achieve this in combination with parameter modulation. I'm going to experiment this!

14. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I've been playing with focusrite version: I've made a simple -6 dB cut on a bell band. When I play a sequence of quarter notes an octave apart (C2 - C3) I hear the low note fully coming in, then being cut. The surf time set to 1 ms.

Anyone has the full version, it is really tracking fast? Or there is some sort of lookahead function?

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

The surf function is supposed to be used on mono sources like vocals,bass,solos/riffs/licks etc etc. You should think of SurferEQ as an EQ with an autotune-like pitch tracking function. I don't see how you could apply the same thing (or the opposite for that matter) on a polyphonic channel and make it work right ,the surf function would just go crazy, just like when you insert Autotune on a polyphonic channel heheh. It should (but it doesn't) have a pitch tracking algorithm much like the polyphonic Melodyne version. Keeping my fingers crossed for future versions :)
    @jayxflash I have the full version mate but i'm on Win7 x64. Functionality should be the same though. I saw your spec but just let me ask if your cpu is handling it alright? The machine i have SurferEq on is an i7 6700k/32gb ram/SandiskExtremePro and haven't seen glitches or noticeable latency. Perhaps you should try the "fixed" version from the sister site. You know, try before buy ?
    Cheers

16. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

@taskforce All I had in the project was a synth playing a saw and the EQ so I'll exclude the machine problem for this simple task. I've tried the version available for mac on the sister site. Indeed for closer notes it looks like tracking fast but for octave-apart notes the tracking is noticeable.

17. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yeah you 're right i guess. There shouldn't be any problem. I will try to re-create your example on my machine and will get back to you. Cheers atm mate

18. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@jayxflash
    Nope, i can't recreate this glitch man. I created a blank new project at Sonar Platinum & inserted SurferEQ 2 VST3 on Kontakt 5.6. I took your example a bit further playing a Farfisa patch from Kontakt's Vintage Organs, which should keep the algorithm even busier because it doesn't play a 100% fixed note but is rather constantly moving around the center tone. I played 4 different legato C octaves each for 2 bars on a simple 8 bar loop. On SurferEQ i did some 8db random frequency cuts and boosts on all 7 bands. Even with all 7 bands in Surf mode and Surf Time at 5 ms, tracking is instant. CPU at 2-3%. Motu 424 Pci-e with HD192 and 2408 mk3 racks. 24bit @ 44.1khz and 128 samples buffer. I also tried the same with 256 samples buffer and both @96khz too. Same thing except my cpu going to 4% when the project was at 24/96k.

19. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

@taskforce Thanks for the test man, I'll try the demo of the latest version on SR's website. Cheers!

20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@jayxflash Np my friend. It was a cool test anyway, i never put 7 bands to surf mode before hehehe. Cheers :)

21. Delord

Delord Member

@taskforce : Précisely, and it's the same with another mono track ; i think the only clue would be to avoid playing same notes (freq) at the same time to avoid conflictual frequencies like in multiband sidechaining. I'm not sure to be clear enougth but that's the idea.
    Thx