Soundcloud and Youtube Copyright Infringement

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by rthouin, Sep 12, 2014.

1. rthouin

rthouin Newbie

Does anyone know how to post bootlegs, mashups, and edits on Soundcloud and Youtube and have them not get taken off right away for copyright infringement? I have watched some videos online with people saying to open your tracks properties and change the pitch by .05 and it should work. I have tried that though and Youtube still caught my mashup in 5 minutes. Soundcloud keeps taking off a bootleg I made right away as well. It really sucks working forever on a track and then its get taken down when you post it. If anyone has some tips on how to get past these copyright infringement detection systems that Soundcloud and Youtube have it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot,

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Try to adjust playback rate to 105% or slow it down to 96%

4. rthouin

rthouin Newbie

I tried it at 105% and again at 95% and both times my track was found to have copyright material right away.

Thank you though, it was worth a shot.

5. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

It is against the Terms of Service of both Soundcloud and YouTube to post material to which one does not own the rights or does not have persmission to publish it. A lot of people post things on YouTube with what's supposed to be a disclaimer: "I do not own this work," but that's like saying, "Officer, I'm just shoplifing!" It shouldn't surprise anyone that either service has sophisticated audio bots scanning uploaded files for infringing material, so that they'd not have to deal with processing takedown notices or fending-off lawsuits. Perhaps you could try mashing-up recordings by artists who fall below the RIAA's radar? That way, you'd also run less of a risk of a lawsuit, since "unknown" artists can't afford such attorneys. It's easier to get away with robbing from the poor than from the rich.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. The Iceman

The Iceman Kapellmeister

Try and put like a 20 sec spoken word opening in front of your track. That usually gets them.

7. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

hate to say it. but go get clearance instead.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. charleskeyz

charleskeyz Newbie

there is a chance your account has already been singled out as high risk so they are scrutinizing your uploads more thoroughly because of previous offenses... Z(they meaning bots of course) try uploading the same track to a diff account and see what happens

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

write them a mail, where you can proof that its your track, for example i uploaded a track of mine a few months earlier as the release of the copyrighted track they had in the claim, the support checked it and i got the track back. was really fast within a few hours to 24 hours.

10. muciones

muciones Kapellmeister

of course they delete your tracks, you are using other people music. Start CREATING your own and problem will be solved.

11. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Agree, there are plenty of free/licensed things to loop and make digital music. If somebody wants to use part of one of my songs (probably not:rofl:) you better check with me or ASCAP.

12. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

13. itaudio

itaudio Noisemaker

Well, so what about these artists like Kygo (hate he's so called tropical house) for an example? He started he's carreer doing bootleg remixes (unoffical remixes) and got famous cause of that. Hate those who just say: "start creating your own work.....". That is exactly what you do when you creating a remix.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  14. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

you can do that, but legally, to use somebody else's stuff you need permission. I f Kygo makes money using other people's content, them he owe's the original content creator money. Just because people get away with stuff doesn't mean everybody is entitled to get away with the same thing. When Will.I.Am uses Gun's and Roses (I've seen him do it) he paid a fee, somewhere.

15. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I agree with that, remixing is creating your own content that isn't a opinion but a fact...

audio fingerprinting is something of the last 2 years. I wonder what kygo his work method was,
    maybe he didn't monetize from the beginning or was staying below the radar.

his approach might just not work anymore since audio-fingerprinting is the new hype,
    sampling a random song is something different than using stems, every single audio-file might be contaminated...

16. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

a lot of people, if they're not HUGELY MEGA SUPER FAMOUS or have material owned by a Major Label will happily give you permission (where you don't even have to pay)

worth a try, find a contact email and ask state your intentions, and seeing as you won't be making money from it why would they care? just extra attention to them (even if it's only a handful of plays)

17. muciones

muciones Kapellmeister

Remixing is creating your own content ONLY if you take 10 years or older songs and revive them or add something special.
    If you cut and paste the songs released few months/weeks ago you are just sticking your UNKNOWN name to big artists FOR Youtube views and Soundcloud followers.
    Try to remix old songs, Youtube and Soundcloud will let you do that.

18. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Looks like this is the end of the white label then?