Soundcards & Audiointerfaces

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Someone, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

I know this is a noob question, but I am a noob on this topic, so I have to ask stupid questions (or at least they'll seem stupid to some of you)

If I just make music with my PC and software, using nothing else, why do I need an external soundcard/audio interface for that? Wouldn't it make much more sense to buy a good onboard soundcard? I mean I connect my amplifier to my PC, nothing else happens... I dont use any micros or external synths / effects to get sound inside my PC, and I dont use anything outside of my PC. I'm just using software, and that's enough for me, so I don't see the point in buying something external...

And by the way, if you know any goog/professional onboard soundcarts which doesn't cost to much, share you knowlegde with me :wink:

And please don't post anything that wouldn't help me... Would be a waste of your and my time.

3. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

latency is important, what means how long your soundcard/audiointerface needs to put out the calculated data from cpu to audiooutput.
    its adjusted with the buffersize.
    great buffersize means the cpu doent need to interupt so often its work to give data to soundscard, its cpu friendly, on the other side e.g. your buffersize is 1000ms, it takes this time to hear changes of soundparameters in your software. but for most musicains it is too long, you want to listen soundchanges right after you turned a knob.
    this means you need a soundcard what can use small buffersizes to feel/hear changes close to realtime. of course this is more work for cpu. for a buffersize e.g 10ms it needs to interupt its work every 10ms to send data to soundcard.
    audiointerfaces with ASIO-drivers became famous , because they are able to set very low buffersizes.
    for "gamer"soundcards there is an asio-for-all driver (ask google) the get lower buffersizes, maybe its for beginners useable enough

sorry my bad english :rofl:

4. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

Depending on the build quality of your computer, a cheap internal soundcard will gather interference. An external soundcard won't.
    It's no use to get a multi I/O soundcard/preamps and such.
    If you don't need (close to) realtime playback, you don't need anything fancy.
    Spend what's left on good monitors.

5. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

No such thing as a stupid question. Any 'honest' professional will have asked thousands of questions on route to 'pro' status. So worry not. The real question is how serious are you about your music/recording (a hobby, or something more)? A good audio interface is an investment -- and they aren't cheap. You could get something adequate (midrange) for relatively inexpensive, and upgrade over time -- or as you see fit. I would not suggest upgrading an internal PC/MAC Soundcard -- its simply not worth it (unless you just have disposable income laying around). At the rate that computers become obsolete these days, there's just no sense in in really -- You decide to upgrade to a new PC/MAC in the next year or so, and could be back in the same/similar position. In my opinion, you need to evaluate what you plan to do with your music, are you releasing it (sales), demos ? What format -- Digital ? Vinyl ? CD ? All of these factors should drive your decision. If you plan on bringing you music to market -- I would definitely make an investment.

I have a friend who has a killer studio, all the latest gear, a few vintage vintage pieces, MIDI and audio interfaces & Apogee i/o, an old adat & studer deck, nice desk, FX Racks, ambient lighting, room treatment, monitors, etc (the whole 9 yards) --- He has a $2000+ 16 I/O interface w/ one microphone plugged in and unused (15 additional untapped and unused lines) -- the vintage synths sit on a rack collecting dust, the power cables hidden in a box somewhere -- In the last 3 years he's released about 3-5 digital EPs -- all of which he made entirely on his Mac with 'Reason' - exported as a wav (no mastering to speak of), and uploaded to Beatport, etc ... (so whats the point of the studio ?)

It is a crime to see that sort of idle waste -- I've suggested he book the studio (to locals wanting to do some studio recording) at $20-40HR or some shit, just to get a return on some of that 'expense' (or sell me some of that shit !) -- but I guess he doesn't have the time or whatever ... kills me every time I see the damn place

At the same time, I've known cats to own nothing but a single piece of gear (or two) -- Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai MPC, Vintage Drum Machine, Etc -- and push out tons of quality grooves and release full albums on Vinyl at a clip of 2-3 releases a year -- so ...

What it all boils down to is this -- Its all about what you plan to do with your music -- If you do plan to do something with it, than its an investment -- and there nothing wrong with aggressively perusing your hobby/dream -- just be sure you use whatever it is you decide to pick up -- Be frugal and purchase only what is needed, don't waste resources (no sense getting a top-grade multi-line I/O audio interface if your just messing with loops in Ableton or Reason -- think about your current needs, keeping in mind what you might like to add to your production scheme in the next year or so -- and shop accordingly)

Best to you -- and good luck

6. oska

oska Noisemaker

Hi folks,

If i want to make music only with my laptop using only VST instruments & effects, do i need to get an external soundcard or interface?
    Will ASIO drivers work or do any good with my internal laptop soundcard?

thanks a lot

7. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

You can do that, no problem.
    People made music on four track recorders those days, sometimes you can reach nice result by limiting your options. :wink:

8. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

This is my biggest problem, I know what I want, but I have no idea how I get it... See, the problem is I don't know much about hardware, I just don't know what I need... I would need someone who really knows much about all that hardware stuff, someone who can find out and help me with my needs. I have a friend who knows much about speakers and amplifiers, so he helped me building a nice audio system, but he doesn't know much about the stuff going on behind. My problem is that my Tracks got more and more complex by the time, I trained my ears over the years, and know I want to make all these little things, you know what I'm talking about? My PC isn't the best, it was enough till now and in the moment I'm still able to work with it, but I know that it won't be enough in a few months or so. First I decided to upgrade my PC, but that's expensive. Audio Interfaces are expensive, too... I just don't know where to start...

9. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

I said that before too... I was wrong :bleh:

10. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Sorry, didn't check it.

11. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

I just mean I was in your shoes, sayin I dont need to use mics/instruments/keys/MIDI instruments and then a couple of years later Im using all of em. Thankfully I got the Focusrite Sapphire interface BEFORE I got all the extra stuff because now Im covered.

Just dont go painting yourself into a corner :wink:

12. Apolo

Apolo Newbie

I'd suggest a good quality 2 channel ASIO card.

I bought a motherboard that was supposed to have one of the best onboard audio chips at the time (about 5 years ago). It was a damn expensive motherboard. Well yeah the quality is good, but not that good. Aside from the board picking up a lot of noise, the audio quality is fine...

I picked up a cheap second hand ESI card on ebay a few months ago, and the difference is astounding. Aside from no noise, the clarity and frequency balance (virtually dead-flat) is miles ahead.
    I started noticing things in my older mixes I didn't hear before. Little glitches, cracks and pops, and bad transitions. Not to mention the obvious harshness of the treble and way too much sub bass. All thanks to a "high quality" onboard audio interface.

So in short, get a good card. An ESI Julia isn't too pricey. Available in PCI or PCIe.

13. xszander

xszander Newbie

Save up for a nice RME Babyface.
    If you dont have the money for that, but still want a quality soundcard/interface, buy a Focusrite scarlett.
    They have different versions. From 150 dollars to 500 dollars.
    The 150 dollar one works fine btw, if you dont need much outputs or inputs.

14. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

A little late... Bought an PCI Soundcart by EMU.

15. xszander

xszander Newbie

Congrats with your purchase. That sure looks like a fine sound card to me.

16. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

pci still alive?
    well i hope you dont need to buy a motherboard soon, becaus its hard to find with pci-slots :bleh:

had this trouble 1 year ago, hard to find one for my deltas

17. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

I bought many new PC components, motherboard as well...
    I dont understand why PCi is dying while crappy USB interfaces becoming more and more famous... I had two USB interfaces and I hated both of them :snuffy:

18. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

i thnk its dying ´cos pci-e, not usb ;)

hope you are happy and enjoying your audiointerface.. welcome to the next level :wink:

19. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Dude, honestly, I have no fucking idea what you trying to say... :dunno:

20. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

hehe how many usbport do your mobo has instead of pci-slots? ;)

they are gone for pci-e-slots :wow:

what i want to say: have fun with you audiointerface :rofl:

21. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

A sound card is essential when making music from a computer in my opinion. You might not have a use for it now, but its all about being flexible when it comes to the long run. Having one can only be a positive thing for you and your home production studio. :mates: