Soundbetter- any opinions?

Discussion in 'Collaborations' started by Lee, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Searched for a thread about this and drew a blank so...
    Just wanting to see if any other ASx members have had positive or negative experienes with the site. I chose a producer who was highly rated but has proved quite disappointing. Told him from the get go what I wanted, gave him musical references and a mixes (3) of what direction I wanted him to take but he came back with stuff that was static and bland. I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

PS refined my search and got much better results. I'll add my two cents worth on those threads.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  3. buckaroo

buckaroo Guest

"The world’s best mixing & mastering engineers, singers, songwriters, producers and studio musicians for hire" ... yeah, um, just no. That entire statement is a joke. Nothing more than a sales pitch.

The best (all of the above) I know and have worked with aren't listed on there and the ones on there that I do know of have "Credits" that are misleading, to say the least. Any ratings could be verified clients that worked out side deals in return, you scratch mine and i'll scratch yours type of thing, if ya know what I mean. Its not to say there aren't ANY good ones on there, sure there are, but its kinda like any other field, oversaturated, overhyped and the "best" ones don't advertise for a reason.

Send me a PM of the style of music and goals, if I can help, I'll hit you back with some names to check out :winker:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Hey, BR, that's a genrous offer. I'm really blown away how talented and helpful you mob are. PM barrelling your way

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Our user @justwannadownload, can also do mastering, just ask him:

https://audiosex.pro/members/justwannadownload.43326/
    justwannadownload

He wrote:

Hello!
    . I can directly send you my mixes, or YouTube links of some of my works, published by artists, labels or third party.
    . I've been working primarily with Hip-Hop artists on a small local label. I mixed the works of 5 different artists across 13 releases over the years. On top of that, there were many one-off projets with off-label artists and amateurs that I mixed, of varied styles and genres. On top of that still, there's some of my own music in varied Electronic styles.
    . You can reach me here, via Gmail, or over on Discord. I'm also present at Russian social platforms, namely VK, Telegram and Mail.ru, if this is an option for you.
    . $70 or equivalent for a full mix. I'm not a mastering engineer, but I can bring your mix to desired loudness as well.
    . You can send the files to my Gmail or Mail.ru, or use any file sharing service. I will send the mix back via the same means.
    . It will take two days after the files go through. I will at first mix your song in its entirety, then will let myself forget how it sounds. Next day I will listen to it with the fresh ears and make necessary adjustments. Aftar that I will send you the mix in lossless quality and act on your feedback. This first revision is expected and comes with no additional charge.

6. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Wow, B16, do you carry a harp with you and have wings sproutng out your back ? Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Maaaate
    Thank you very much but I'm not a mastering engineer. I'm a mixing engineer who knows how limiter works, and mastering is way more than just that. I have neither ears nor equipment to compete with actual mastering engineers in quality.

Also I've been looking to set up a profile on Soundbetter. Very much interested in people's experience with this site too.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You can do mastering, too, can't you? You can still learn!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  9. justwannadownload

Please don't recommend me for the local people, I'm still setting things up. If anything, and if anybody asks, I can chime in myself.
    I check the Sister Site feed on a daily basis.

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Oh - I didn't know that. I get it. Good luck and power to you!

11. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

I plan on upping a sample of what a highly recommended producer considered acceptable with one of his mixes. As members may well know my voice leaves a lot to be desired but this guy, when I questioned the quality and amount of out of tune singing claimed I was being too finnicky. You really have to hear how off key I was to understand the absurdity of his statement. And that's jsut one amongst a raft of short falls. Hope ASx members can benefit from my experience.

12. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

I won't inflict the whole song on you ... 4 secs to compare what I - unlearned audio fellah that I am - created after hearing what the Soundbetter 'producer' thought was good enough. It's not that I smell something fishy , more the stink of snake oil.

Attached Files:

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

A comment that is not entirely meant as a joke:

Soundbetter is really a smart business idea. It is suggested here that even people with little talent will land a super hit in the charts tomorrow. If you have no talent - only your account will be a little emptier.

How about practicing - practicing and practicing again.... if they sound like Mickey Mouse or the Terminator, however, even the most expensive singing lessons do not help. Singing is very good for your health and for your psyche. Please keep singing. Tell me, how did you learn to sing before the Internet?

Typical man - he continues to hope that the machines will make him a better person or that the one mastering course will improve him. I am for a sound 3 year training - do one if you have talent. To have a chance at a career, you need a lot of discipline and perseverance.

14. justwannadownload

Sir, this style of vocal delivery is "unfixable". Any attempt at pitch correction will produce a ton of artifacts and mess up the high end. Furthermore, it has been recorded a little bit too close to the microphone, so there's a bit too much nasality but at the same time breathiness and harshness due to proximity effect and the style of delivery, not to mention mouth noises.
    From the standpoint of somebody who's obviously not self-conscious about this particular voice, the best thing to do is to alleviate the proximity effect somewhat with EQ and delay/reverb combo and then leave it as it is, as natural as it can be. This way it still conveys the intended emotions. Oh, and edit out all the breaths and clicks.
    This hasn't been done either tho, as I can hear.

15. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Well, JWD, I'll be bearing that in mind when I message the 'producer' tomorrow and list the shortcomings and failings he committed or preferred to overlook as I haggle to pay a portion of the original fee. Good to have objective opinions. And that's only listening to 4 secs. Shocking the corners some people will cut to grab the cash. Give 'em a golden rectangle and they cut corners so much you end up with a butchered pretzel

16. Project_AD

Project_AD Member

I had a nice experience with it. The I made about 2 grand using the platform at the beginning, then all of a sudden work stopped coming, it was during their spotify transition. very unfortunate, but thankfully met a couple of good clients.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List