Sound harmonic Editor

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by MaXe, Mar 6, 2019.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Hi guys,
    My question is clear, I am looking for a software able to re-balance or remove individual harmonics of a sound!
    Melodyne is slow(Both for such process and workflow) and it doesn't represent harmonics properly even when you increase resolution for representing harmonics. iZotope RX does not classify frequencies and its harmonics based on note names and it is a pain to balance harmonics since the process is somehow destructive and you cannot even hear what you are doing real time( The lack of real time is not my main issue though)
    I have seen some softwares available exclusively for Mac OS. I am a Windows guy(*uck Apple all day everyday)
    Any tips, workflows, anything helpful would be appreciated! Just tell me something that can help.

3. Grok

Grok Producer

The sound you want to work with, is it monophonic, or polyphonic, or constructed with noises ?
    What are the Mac OS softwares you've seen ?

4. Slaking_97

Slaking_97 Kapellmeister

I don't think a program could change or remove individual harmonics without introducing horrible artifacts in the audio, but i could be wrong. If you have only 1 note you can use an EQ and a notch, but with polyphonic sounds well good luck.

5. Recoil

Recoil Guest

6. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Thanks. But I have seen this and it is not what I am looking for since almost whatever it does, iZotope RX does too.

7. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I am talking about sounds in general. But if you know anything for Monophonic sounds specifically, no problem with that! Just tell me anything!

8. Grok

Grok Producer

In a monophonic sound, harmonics are related to the sound fundamental note.
    In a polyphonic sound, harmonics are related to their fundamental notes.
    In a noise, not being a musical note, nothing could be considered as being "harmonics" of a fundamental, there could only be considered frequencies, low, medium, high...

There are many plugins for adding some types of harmonics to a sound (harmonics being higher frequencies mathematically related to the original sound frequencies).
    But for removing harmonics I currently don't know one.
    That's why I was asking to you which Mac Soft did you find which could do that : I want to understand what you mean.
    Then, if effectively it can be done with some Mac soft, I would find Win softs to do the same (remember : everything is on Win, much more than on Mac).

9. Grok

Grok Producer

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Harmonics/overtones is timbre, which defines what sound an instrument has (or what makes it that instrument). All our voices are different because of differences in timbre.

Maybe you are looking for a formant filter...or something like SurferEQ which follows the fundamental.
    https://www.soundradix.com/products/surfer-eq/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  11. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Voxengo and Melda each have a tool for editing individual harmonics. It's more on the experimental side, can be unpredictable sounding depending on what you feed it.

For general fun check out SynthTech Waveedit. It's more for wavetables but you can do endless harmonic exploration in it too.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I've tried this before. I am looking for something better. Probably specific software with more control.

13. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

14. Grok

Grok Producer

Please answer the question : what Mac OS softwares have you seen, which does what you're looking for ?

15. Grok

Grok Producer

Melda interesting ; it really works only on monophonic, seemingly.
    What's the name of the Voxengo tool ?

As I suspected, removing harmonics on polyphonic parts seems to currently remain a not solved task. It could be, soon or later, with a Melodyne + Melda kind of implementation. Removing harmonics or partial in noises may happen later with AI (when AI will be ready).

16. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Melodyne can to this.

17. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Try MPolysaturator or MCharacter.

Very basic, but can work depending on what you want to do or get.
    Duplicate track
    Invert Phase
    Put any "harmonic plugin"
    Adjust harmonics for remove from original track.

Mpolysaturator/MCharacter, Voxengo Shinechilla, Anarchy Rhythms Harmonic Adder, Hornet Harmonics.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019