Sound Forge alternative on MAC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by HPF, Sep 8, 2014.

1. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

When it comes to sample editing i kinda cant get away from good ol' Sound Forge, even if it requires to run in in a virtual machine on my OS of choice. in certain i love being able to select by measures and beats, push selection by beats/measures, halve or double - just the whole palette that is available uter ACID Tools in sound forge 6 for example. i wonder if there is software available on mac that can compete with it, being a real alternative - Sound Forge for MAC isnt the Sound Forge i used to know on Windows, lacks many great editing features. when it comes to precise, sample accurate looping and editing it just dont know any alternative.

Suggestions anyone?

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

For destructive waveform editing, I can suggest Adobe Audition CS6 or later for mac (I use it on PC). It's a heavyweight & has a lotta features. That has sample-accurate editing.

For more lightweight apps, you could try Felt tip Sound Studio 4, Audiofile Engineering Triumph, or Twistedwave, but I'm less familiar with those.

4. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

yeah man... Soundforge for mac is a JOKE!!!

was soooo disappointed with that one...

I too went with Adobe Audition

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Use Parallels and go with xp, its very fast to boot and easy!
    Besides you do not have to lear another program :wink:
    For different speeds, transpose and also tabs you can use capo for itunes, but mostly daws do that and samplers like kontakt :dunno:
    If you convert wavs to aiff Logic does that too *yes*

6. rooff

rooff Newbie

Maybe izotope rx3 advanced? Never used soundforge, so I don't know who's best

7. davea

davea Platinum Record

8. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

SONY Soundforge to me is crap, like WaveLab!
    > Check better > Amadeus PRO or DSP-Quattro.
    Apple's WAVEBURNER has also great tools, but might not work on new Macs.

9. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Jesue! I forgot Amadeus thats my to go editor :wink:

10. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

ADOBE AUDITION

11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

For simple Sample Editing: Felttip Sound Studio. Clean Interface, simple workflow. I had the same problem as you when I switched from PC to Mac. AND that's my pick I rran with eversince '08

12. Torcado

Torcado Newbie

Had the same experience as 5t33z0: Switched to Mac 10 years ago, missed SoundForge (besides FL), tried all alternatives (Bias Peak, DSQ-Quattro, etc.), discovered Felttip Sound Studio and stayed with it from then on.
    If I do really need additional features (like HPF mentioned) I rely on my DAW(s).

13. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Audition: Idk about destructive mode, but in MT mode, you can set a BPM+offset, and the cursor can snap to bars/beats.

That's a good destructive mastering editor.

I get the impression that Waveburner is suited for burning CDs. If you want apple-made stuff, soundtrack should be there?

14. aussie

aussie Member

Sound Forge sucks.

Felttip Sound Studio has been my main goto app since BIAS/Berkley Integrated Audio Software went out of business. I bought every revision of BIAS PEAK Pro up till the Peak Pro 5.21 release. The price they wanted for the upgrade to 6.0 was ridiculous. I feel sorry for all the people that bought that upgrade within 8 months of the company filing Chapter 11.

You would think that since they were DOA, some former dev or employee would have shared the SN for v6, ...but no, greedy pigs to the end. Still, it wouldn't matter. None of their software was compatible with anything after 10.6.8 running Rosetta.

15. davea

davea Platinum Record

In case you're still under 10.6 OS you should try also Bias Peak or Soundtrack Pro .

cheers

16. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

kinda sad to see the huge amount of answers out of context, cuz of lazyness of peeps to read beyond the topic's title. turned out to be just a shoutbox where peeps tell their tools of preference, not even telling for what specific reason. best answers of course are the ones where the soft i go to for certain tasks is told to suck! WTF?! You guys get any reward for just replying off-topic or what exactly is your motivation to act like this? hoped to save time testing each and every piece of app, getting into it just to discover lack of required functionality. the topic totally turned into a mess, with only very few real responses. the question was specific enough imho.

whoever tells the classic sf to be sucky, didnt even scratched the surface of it.

missing "hide post/spam" function or a "suck", as opposite to the "thanks", button.

17. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I think it's kind of rude and ungrateful to talk down on people whose opinion you wanted to hear in the beginning. If you have a problem with the answers maybe your questioning wasn't spesific enough! Plus, I think the guy who was talking about that SF sucked was refering to the Mac and not the PC Version. So why don't you just pick out the bits and pieces of information that are relevant for you and say "thank you" and run with it. You know that I spent HOURS trying to figure out what Editor works for me. And a lot of other people did too, I bet. And we provided you helpful information for free so you don't have to do that! But Instead of being thankful you are complaining. And that's what I think is SAD.

Peace.

18. smartlad

smartlad Member

Calling people lazy yet you use words like cuz? You asked for suggestions and you were given loads. I can't understand what your problem is? What's wrong with someone saying your go to software sucks? From how I read it, that's the reason you made this topic in the first place is it not?

19. ZypKode

ZypKode Newbie

Adobe Audition is the BEST.