Sound creation/porting... Advice

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Vaijj, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Hi guys..

I like some advice on how to do this. In the clip below ive taken 3 samples to create something like a Subbish bass with a "knorr", glitchy kind of thing on it. Cant really describe in a good way so thats why i posted this clip. In other words im not looking for any advice on how to mix.

What i want to do is to recreate it in a vst like Omnisphere, Kontakt or any vsti for that matter so i can play it in tune over the keys. Thing is i have tried do it but aint really happy with my tries so far.

The sound im wanna do is the one that starts the clip and comes back every second beat..

So Any advices on how to do this would be very nice..

Be safe All
    Vaijj

3. saltwater

saltwater Guest

can you specify in more detail how you want to play it "in key" ?
    and what daw are you using.

the whole thing is sweeping down in your example.

you can either sweep a certain range thats in key at start and end or have a static note per key, without sweep.

as always there are many ways to Rome,
    but what i hear, is a very fast looped kick drum sample with a changing endpoint.

did a quick example in Ableton Sampler

Attached Files:

4. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Yeah i can try.. i wish to play lets say a C then i should sound like in my sample (samples).. Now playing it an octave higher or lower i want it to have the same lenght but in tune, in other words it will be some kind of time stretching in case its only doiblke with a sampler. i got a similair result as you done @saltwater but as said the tone get shorter or loger..

To be it sound like a 808 with maybe some filter sweeps os something that creates to glitches or Knarr sound. To me it dont matter if it actually i end up with a Bass patch or a pad.. i just wish i could play it since i really hate working with samples, not beeing able to improvise when i play the keyboard..

Thanks for looking into it @saltwater ..

5. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

I like to add that ive manage to create some swoosh subbish bass in Diva and Omnisphere but really cant understand how to layer that slowing down sweep on top of it.. closest i came up with was something sounding like a cut down electricity cable going nuts on the floor.. i bet someone knows how to do this..

6. saltwater

saltwater Guest

ah ok, i see what you mean.

sample one sweep, put it into a sampler and enable time stretch.
    thats it :wink:

but...

the problem with this, it sounds like a fart from a electrocuted leprechaun on steroids,
    and if you go above the natural key of the sample it will simply start to refart from start or just stop completely
    (if you still want to play the entire note length)

:deep_facepalm:

hmm...... another way is needed, one that works with every sound

7. saltwater

saltwater Guest

got it now, but just the technical point of it.
    the sound itself and the (i guess) logarithmic curve can be adjusted to the liking and played from your keyboard realtime.

Attached Files:

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Saw wave. Pitch envelope (falling pitch). Highpass and lowpass. Layer with sub-frequencies material (lowpassed impact or similar).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfeylxfv6vilpr4/knorr_filteredSaw.wav?dl=0

Edit: Oh, I think I missunderstood you. You want to play it live? Why not just render the sound (sub + ripping filter envelope) as a sample and trigger that in time. Trim/adjust the length of it to fit the song (x number of beats or whatever).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  9. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

@Baxter, yes something like that cause i wanna have the option to play it in any song. SO creating some kind of preset to load up and be then just play it.. I will try your idea and see how it works out.. @saltwater that is close.. How did you do that or rather what did you create it in? Worried since you talked about Ableton and i dont use that..

10. saltwater

saltwater Guest

y its live, i mapped ghost clips to keyboard notes that are set to retrigger and gate, this way the modulation is always the same length and starts fresh with every push of a key.
    what are you using?

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yes, you render the audio (as I described and showed in my sound clip) and then you play/trigger that live with your MIDI controller or sample player.

Did you listen to my example? I could send it to you if you want, since I spent 4 minutes creating it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

My DAW is Cubase 9.5 and there is my reason for not playing around much with samples. Even if we have sample track etc its just not my workflow. Playing to many instruments to find time to learn the skill of making beats so to speak :)

Yes i did and thats really close to what im after. And ive come close to it after trying some things in Omnisphere. Just want to find a way to get the KNORRET (Hajjar du :yes:) somehow linked to tempo of host and triggered by my MIDI controller (Komplete s61). When you say Saw Wave it must mean i can pretty much use any kind of VSTi that can create one right? As Omnisphere 2.5 now has 4 Layers per patch i would just love to be able to recreate it there. it should be possible with the newly expanded synthesis capabilities. Well, i will dive into it more..

Im kind of new to these things but learning stuff everyday. Easier to play the guitar and keys than this.. Anyhow, thanks both of you for pushing me in the correct direction.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

14. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Well not much point downloading farts since i already have the sound im looking for in a sample.. my problem was i wanted to recreate it WITHOUT samples if possible.. and even if my "idea" may be shit, knowing i have created something from the sound of a fart would be devastating :)

15. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

LOL :)

he just create bass with long note + adding automations on the filter cutoff

open vstI DUNE 2. init Patch. create long note on "C0" or find different note
    then use EQ to feed it in & out. / or just using filter Cutoff

and I think he just bounce it in place then reverse the sample
    and then he stretch it
    by creating Automations on the Bpm tempo (speed tempo down)
    then he again bounce it in place ,

but here just Example

16. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Okej.. so how to get that cutoff to slow down aswell? I may sound like a turd (humor) but in my little example ive took something like you just made a video on and time stretched it cause i didnt know how to create a slow down effect like in Baxters sound example.. I just know to little on how to link that to something that slows it down aswell while the cutoff doing its thing.. i guess..

17. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

what daw are you using ?
    you can do it easy by creating automations. on the master Tempo bpm
    but there is even easy way in Ablation you can stretch the sample easy

here 2 video

watch here the best example for stretching and I think it was exactly what you searching

18. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Yeah i know but i wanted to have it like a preset as stated above. And that is what i did in my little tune.. Back to square one if i start to do that. well.. i think the thread got to long and the info on the top is missleading since time strech and work with samples is not what i want to do.. so.. i think i let it be with this and go back to writing music instead of learning how to create sounds.. thnkas guys..

19. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

here the last video which I made for you just watch it

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Super.. just what i wanted to do.. Soundwise.. Good starting point and for me to understand and how to do it in lets say Omnisphere.. I use Cubase 9.5 and can do the same thing as you did there but i want it so i can use it in live gigs not depending on any DAW or, just the tempo the drummer sets up when jamming..

Totaly got how i need to do now.. BIG thanks @SmokerNzt.. you put in alot of work into videos just to show me how to do.. owe you one.. and to the rest of you guys that help me on this.. Thanks.. Now i can finish the track i started above when i got stuck on this :)..

Take care of each other now guys.. and be nice..
    Vaijj

21. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

Np man it was not hard for me but still glad to help !

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018