Souled Out Remixed

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by notsoloud, May 31, 2019.

1. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

You were right. I woke up and couldn't believe it. I do still think there wasn't much clarity in the first mix, so it's a bit brighter, but I've really given the bass more prominence. This must be getting tiresome for those helping, but I am glad to have everybody's opinions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Nice comp-romise. Get it?
    There was actually some distortion on the kick in the last mix. Noticed it in the vocal breakdown.

3. Satai

Satai Rock Star

I can't resist dropping the name of another comp toy here that I would *definitely* be trying if mixing this track. Airwindows PyeWacket , straight from 1960 yours from the creator at no charge. It is the perfect complement to the tone colors from Acustica's Nebula and Aquas, as it doesn't have any "impulse response" anolog screwyness type stuff inside, it's simply an amplitude behaviour model of the very unusual compression action that the original had.

It's so unusual that it was trashed by a lot of places, since it just wasn't cutting it for modern style compression duties. It doesn't loudness-maximize stuff anywhere near enough for the modern sound. But what it does really well is give you fullness and roundness while retaining the big differences in dynamic range from the unprocessed sound. Thinking it'd be the perfect toy to try for this track!

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I'm tired of trying to get the feel I want, so I've abandoned the old versions and settled on a thick, chunky mix. I don't think it's pushed too hard, but I could be wrong.

5. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

When my head stops spinning and the temp in the studio reaches above freezing point, I'll grab the air windows and see what it does. I might even remove my output chain and start again. I forgot to add the UAD2 Ampex 2 track which is usually on the output bus and smooths out harshness.

6. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

This is really hitting all the notes for me. Nice and beefy with clean transiants

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Sounds pretty balanced here but, for my taste, still (way) too loud. Didn't measure it but I guess something around -8LUFS? :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

Good balance will do me. For a track that will get 25 listens on Soundcloud it will be fine. If it was for a commercial release I would have it professionally mastered. I'm nothing like a mastering engineer and it's not even something that interests me, so just getting a clear mix that isn't distorted is good enough for me.

9. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I once took up the offer from a friend of spending an afternoon at one of this citys best mastering suites. I was excited to be in such an amazing facility with gear that I'd only ever heard about. After an hour of listening to a 4 bar section and indiscernible differences in the mix, I realised mastering was not for me.

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Nice one @Satai. Been playing with Pyewacket. It's very cool. Given what it can do, it's really quite special.

11. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This was for sure a bad example of what mastering means.
    I suppose the mix was either so good that he couldn't improve it or so bad that he couldn't fix it.

12. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I think it was an example of how large, well established mastering studios charge and justify extravagant hourly rates to major labels.