Soothe2? Nope again... Voxengo TEOTE automatic balancer plugin

Discussion in 'Software News' started by mild pump milk, Oct 16, 2020.

1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Voxengo TEOTE automatic spectral balancer plugin released
    October 16, 2020: Voxengo is very happy to release TEOTE, an automatic spectral balancer plugin for professional music production applications, available in AAX, AudioUnit, VST, and VST3 plugin formats, for macOS and Windows computers. TEOTE was designed to be a very useful tool for both mixing and mastering. It automatically performs such tasks like resonances removal, de-essing, tilt equalizing, usually performed during mixing and mastering. In mixing, TEOTE sounds good on pretty much any material.

[​IMG]

While by definition TEOTE is a dynamic equalizer, its technology is solely based on multi-band dynamics processing. This allows TEOTE to have only minor phase issues, and to produce a subtle transient-emphasis effect associated with dynamics processing. TEOTE tries to make the program material follow the required spectral profile, tuned to the contemporary mastering standards by default.

Is TEOTE an AI plug-in? In a sense that AI usually boils down to “curve-fitting task”, TEOTE is an AI plug-in that performs gain adjustment decisions in a quantity equal to “SampleRate multiplied by BandCount” per second. However, TEOTE does not use neural networks; it is based on an extremely-refined, completely predictable, curve-fitting function.

TEOTE is an acronym for “That’s Easier On The Ear”. TEOTE is a serious contender in helping bring your music production to the next level!

TEOTE features:

* Automatic spectral balancing
    * Selectable processing band count
    * Unlinked stereo processing
    * Multi-band gain adjustments meter
    * Stereo and multi-channel processing
    * Internal channel routing
    * Channel grouping
    * Up to 8x oversampling
    * 64-bit floating point processing
    * Preset manager
    * Undo/redo history
    * A/B comparisons
    * Contextual hint messages
    * All sample rates support
    * Zero processing latency

Introductory price of US$69.95 is now in effect until October 30, 2020 (regular US$79.95). TEOTE is free for Voxengo Premium Membership owners. Demo version of TEOTE can be downloaded freely at the Voxengo web site: https://www.voxengo.com/product/teote/?eref=fo

• Interesting Interesting x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. ProJay

ProJay Kapellmeister

How does it compare to MSpectral dynamics ??

4. mild pump milk

Haven't tested it yet.
    There also TBproaudio DSEQ 2, Oeksound Soothe 2, izotope ozone spectral shaper, Soundtheory Gullfoss and a couple of others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. stefodis

stefodis Producer

Seems more similar to Gulfoss than to Soothe2 : it's an "automatic dynamic multiband balancer", aim is not suppressing resonnances but balancing the spectrum toward a predefined one.
    Seems very interesting though, as I like a lot small touches of Gulfoss on the mixbus!

6. mild pump milk

Firstly, i thought the same, that it is bit more like Gulfoss, but TEOTE (That's Easier On The Ear) has more deeper settings, modes, knobs to adjust. A bit advanced one. Bands, slope, threshold, release, attack and more.
    Maybe it is something between Gullfoss and DSEQ/SOOTHE/MSPECTRALDYNAMICS

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

More settings capability excluded, this one can not compare to Gullfoss. Not just that its effect on sound is less pronounced, and does not seem to audibly treat resonances, but also in terms of linearity, distortion and speed (all measured).
    It exhibits some overall expansion, and slight instability.
    Melda is faster, with even more settings, but it renders unwanted overall compression, and is a bit rough and dull sounding (to me).
    TEOTE can not - even remotely - be compared to DSEQ, which is very impressive in resonances reduction and rendering clarity and punch.
    TEOTE is just a spectral balancer following preset curves, sounding a bit murky, for my taste.
    My Soothe trial expired a long time ago, but as far as I remember, it is much closer to DSEQ.

8. mild pump milk

Your verdict (from the worst to the best, soundwise)?

9. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

They do not do the same job. But sound-wise:
    Gullfoss
    DSEQ
    Soothe
    ...pause
    TEOTE
    Melda

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

weird, i don't think you have an idea how powerful gullfoss is, you either don't know what actually does, and how it affect the signal plus when/where to apply or you just didn't give it enough chance, you should give it another chance.

11. mild pump milk

They do not do the same job (functionally differs, varies), but goal is to remove/lessen resonance, deharsh, deess, balance spectrum, zillionband dyneq/comp or so.

But what about Spiff and Deedger? They more different)

12. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

It look more like Soothe or DSeq than Gulfoss, even though they kind of all made for the same purpose. I didn't try Dseq yet, but use Soothe a lot for resonnance and harsh frequency, mostly in the mixing stage (usually before compression), and Gulfoss I use it more like a finalizer for the sound (it's different from Soothe, less precise on the resonnance but with a soft way of boosting if needed).

Also, this one doesn't seems to have a sidechain function, which is one of the big feature I like about Soothe (the 2nd version, it wasn't on the 1st), it's like the masking thing on Neutron or Fabfilter Q3 but way more transparant, perfect to make a voice fit an instrumental for exemple, without the "duck volume" effect you can have on other plugin (which can be nice sometime, I don't say one is better than another, just that it's different and give a new option)

13. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

It's not the same class.
    Spiff is a transient shaper, and TDR DeEdger is the reverse of it, it is made to tame excessive transients (sound 'hardness').
    A plugin that does the same job as TDR DeEdger is Samplitude FX bundle's AM pulse plugin ('less attack' setting), which, in my opinion, does the job better.

Gullfoss is, from technical point of view, also very impressive. It has very low distortion figures, extremely flat frequency response, even harmonic spread, very good impulse response.
    It combines adaptive psychoacoustic spectral shaping combined with resonance taming joined seamlessly together. A real masterpiece.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • List
  14. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You could do similar things with Voxengo Soniformer and GlissEQ if you know what you're doing and know these plugins well like I do, but this is obviously more refined, and I wouldn't expect less from Aleksey since this is a new Voxengo plugin. I can't remember the last time he released a new plugin. Not that it matters much as he's got too many plugins already IMO :)

I really like the whole idea behind this one. It will certainly make mixing easier. :headbang:

Big up for Aleksey - Voxengo! :wink: Can't wait to test it out. :P

15. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

I respect Aleksey for his great work. His Transgainer being among the best transient shapers available, the unique Shinechilla, r8brain, impressive working Elephant, very presice Correlometer, etc.
    But this two EQ plugins mentioned are general purpose, one needs a lot of manual work, settings testing, thorough knowledge of the plugins involved, and experience to do the job. Also, there is no psychoacoustics, curve learning, special resonance removing algorithms.
    On the list above are dedicated plugins with adaptive automation. And there's the amount of job done and sound differences too.

16. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Nice! Definately going to trial this one.

I love DSEQ in combination with Airwindows Slew for de-essing. Gullfoss I tried on the mixbus (25% recover/tame) but adds a kind of chaos to the signal it's unbearable to listen to. I do like to turn it on/off to check whether my mix is going in the right direction though. For deresonate I love TDR SlickEQ's Smart Ops.

17. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

TDR SlickEQ (SlickEQ GE) is just a colorizing EQ with 8 fixed presets and on top of it saturation added, to further increase the distortion.
    How can it be compared to Gullfoss? And it 'de-resonates' nothing, it is not made for that purpose at all.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  18. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

SmartOps > Analyze > De-resonate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

What I really respect about voxxengo is that they didn't change there basic design language in 10 years and everything just fits together. The benefits of not having to rely on skeumorphizm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

Gullfoss.png Slick deresonate.png View attachment 22221 View attachment 22221 View attachment 22220
    Well, you should look at the graphs attached. SmartOps > Analyze > De-resonate works on a single band, exactly like a de-esser, just not on 'essing' frequency. And it's also non-adaptive (fixed).
    What taming resonances really means you can see on Gullfoss graph.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  21. mild pump milk

As Aleksey said on gearslutz:

Money flows... what one else needs? More money? I'm probably not a usual american guy. I will update designs immediately if money stops flowing. That's how business works