Soothe or Gullfoss?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by stavo, Dec 12, 2019.

1. stavo

stavo Member

Hey Everybody.

Which one you would choose between buying Oeksound Soothe or Soundtheory Gullfoss?
    Unfortunately i can't buy two by the moment so i would like to read your opinions.

Thank you.

3. I'd be interested in the responses to this as well. I downloaded a demo of gulfoss and I'm not sure my life can go on without it. But my life may also end when I fork out the $300 as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

try melda spectral dynamics compared to soothe you may not need it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Friggy

Friggy Guest

Soothe can do very sharp notches in a smaller area to get rid of nasty sounding resonances. Gullfoss can do broader moves over the entire 20-20khz. You can set Soothe to do broader moves, but it still doesn't have the frequency range of Gullfoss, and Gullfoss can be set to target a smaller frequency range, but you don't have control of the q Gullfoss uses.

So if you spend a lot of time notching out ringing frequencies from guitars, overheads/rooms, or vocals, I'd go with Soothe.

Gullfoss is like a betterizer. Set it on the whole mix to get another few percentages of awesome out of it.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  6. I've had my share of betterizers, BBE Sonic Maximizer, TC Finalizer (is anyone else noticing all the z's?) and recently in software, Kush's Clariphonic. But none can do what gullfoss does. It quite simply separates the elements of a mix without sacrificing the glue holding the mix together. It never gives the impression it is applying notches nor is it acting as an exciter.
    I am open to donations that will enable me to buy it so I can give the community here a more in-depth report.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. DJDOCKS

DJDOCKS Ultrasonic

Gullfoss is available on AZ if I'm not mistaking, so I guess buy soothe? Unless you actually have morals like some of us then the answer above me is pretty good. From what I have heard, soothe is amazing at taming resonance in vocals. Doubles down as a de-esser in a sort of way. Gullfoss tames broader ranges of freqs.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Apples and oranges.

Soothe is for harness - lots of very fine notching. And no boosting.

Gullfoss is for tonal balance, like an auto, somewhat dynamic, eq.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Charly R

Charly R Noisemaker

Idk have not tried

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. LurkerSupreme

LurkerSupreme Ultrasonic

I bought both, and yes they do different things. I use Soothe on almost every mix on vocals and sometimes on the master bus. It has a few great presets that will give you a smooth top end on your mixes or anything if you need it. I mainly do R&B and Hip Hop, and Gullfoss (in my opinion) does not really work on most things I try it on. It has a tendency to try to add a lot of hi-mid range to my mixes, but in my genre those frequencies are usually scooped a little. Just try both demos and see which one works best for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. hammond231

hammond231 Member

Gulfoss can help everything sound a little better; but it's something you can mostly get to on your own with other tools.

Soothe fixes problems that most other things can't. But you can also get pretty close with other tools.

I have both. If I had to give one back, I'd keep Soothe.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. mp5

mp5 Producer

A pretty lot of things that Soothe does you can get with Harrison AVA De-Esser (in some non-deessing cases - in several passes).
    Gullfoss is just an adaptive dynamic EQ adjusted to psychoacoustic model, practically a dynamic wideband 'human hearing indulging' enhancer EQ, and can not really be compared to Soothe, for better or for worse, because it is completely in a different ballpark.
    And, unlike Soothe, Gullfoss is not restricted to vocals mainly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. mp5

mp5 Producer

Whether Gullfoss boosts or tames depends on its settings and on frequency content in its relation to psychoacoustics.

14. mp5

mp5 Producer

Gullfoss is just another auto dynamic EQ, nothing more and nothing else. Just like Melda MAutodynamic EQ, iZotope Ozone Dynamic EQ, and dozens of others.
    Some software gain an aura because there is a lot of mysticism in digital audio world fuelled mostly by developers and their advertising depts and spread further by hipsters.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. stavo

stavo Member

So yo me suggest to don't waste money on this plugins? Or which one you choose? :thumbsup:

I'll try MAutodynamic. :wink:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  16. score

score Member

Gullfoss is worth every cent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. BobbyMonfrado

BobbyMonfrado Member

I have no idea why people overlook Frei:raum by Sonible when they have these discussions.

Not a fan of Gullfoss but love Frei:raum........might be what I use it for vs. what others do but it's just never mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I think they compliment each other well.
    Gullfoss is great for making things better overall with more broad strokes, whereas Soothe is a very unique tool for solving specific problems that would be hard to do without it.

If you do a lot of recording of stringed instruments, vocals etc I'd go with Soothe.

I think you just missed the sale on Soothe, so perhaps get Gullfoss now, and hopefully Soothe 2 at an introductory price?

19. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

If your recording and mix is right... neither.

I've used both and attempted to find a practical use for either, but found that both Soothe and gullfoss are problem solving tools for issues that generally don't exist if the project/tracks are recorded, and are mixed by someone who is beyond novice skill level.

Everytime I tried either on individual tracks or the mix bus I found that manual mixing or other tools work better than either sooth or gullfoss.

As much as I wanted to believe in Soothe, I felt that I always liked the tracks better bypassed.

I will say I prefer the sound of Gullfoss as an edfect.effect

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I think everything there is to say about Soothe and Gullfoss has been discussed in this forum, as well as others. As I previously stated, I question how many of those comparing one to the other has actually used both or are simply repeating what has been said here and elsewhere. To the OP, @stavo, the answer to your question is simple: Decide it on your own. Download Gullfoss from AZ and the Soothe demo from Oeksound. Choose the one that better fits your needs and workflow. The comparison is not going to cost you anything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  21. mp5

mp5 Producer

Yes, as the most of them, if you know how to use them properly. Deeply researching within a single plugin is more valuable than having a big collection of alikes of which you know the defaults only (and eventually the public hype and gossip about them).