Soon, All Versions of Chrome Will Block Non-Web-Store Extensions

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by iownu1000, May 13, 2015.

1. iownu1000

iownu1000 Noisemaker

http://lifehacker.com/soon-all-versions-of-chrome-will-block-non-web-store-e-1704248493

In an Apple-esque style move, Google blocks all extensions not available in the Web Store. This means that they can get rid of all apps that effect their profits, like Ad blocking, video/picture downloading etc.

3. Nawhak

Nawhak Ultrasonic

Firefox

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

fuck all the shitty apps for chrome. i hate them =( a lot of useless stuff

5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

WHo the hell uses Chrome??? hahaha :rofl:

6. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Me!! ahahahah :rofl: Without AdBlocker, though, I'd quickly swipe to Safari... Or Firefox... Or whatever hasn't got ads :wink:

7. machupichu

machupichu Ultrasonic

Apple is slowly but steadily starting to get on my nerves... *no*

8. coil

coil Noisemaker

is there an extension similar to adblocker in the web store?

9. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

+1

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

+1 and IRON.

hahaha :rofl: people will find a way ...

11. iownu1000

iownu1000 Noisemaker

I used Chrome as one of the few browsers I use years ago, I liked the simplicity of the interface and speed it offered, which at the time was one of the best. I don't even use Chrome from google, I use Comodo Chromium which is much more secure & blocks ads and location and social media trackers. I guess I'll just stick to Firefox now...

12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

FF for me.. :thumbsup:

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Man, this is a really nasty move. I didn't expect this, at least so soon, with FF still being a serious contender, and Safari for Mac's.

Perhaps Chrome's bigger leverage right now is more Android integration than its market share. That means a vast majority of Android users caught by the balls.

Bad news but, in the other side, good news for FF. FF developers and users will increase be very soon. Unless Chrome has a killer new feature hidden, which is improbable.

14. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

I use Maxthon for more than 2 years already and I'm really happy with it.. Best thing - it comes with AdBlocker Plus incorporated in the browser and you dont need to install Flash to use the web Flash content. :wink:

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Chrome?? Most people who use Chrome got it accidentally by installing some free software and not being very careful installing it. Lots of people had been scammed into installing it.

I'm with Firefox since 2004 or something and I'm not going to give up. It's been a bit dodgy for some time, but now it's getting better again. I think it's definitely the best browser bar none, no matter the OS. I use Linux Debian and it does work better than in Windows, though.

Cheers!

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Indeed, so sad and so true. Most of us in this site are experienced computer and internet users. So we are not a representative sample. Most Windows users do. Most people use it simply because it's popular, If you tell them to try FF they say "hey, I need to click two times more to access google drive" or "hey, what the hell I need to install some plugin to fully access to sync mi Android". In the libraries and other public computers with internet access I keep seeing people using Chrome even if the computer has both Chrome and FF installed. Even internet development companies they use Chrome as first browser and Javascript debugger.

So it doesn't matter if we use FF instead of Chrome, Duck instead of Google. Most people do. Like Facebook, I'm tired of people saying in every comment section of Facebook articles "I have a life so I don't use Facebook". I believe you man, but 9 out of 10 of your friends and relatives you have a life with does use it.

17. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

I'm an Opera user for more than 10 years. I never liked Chrome or Firefox. Chrome is too skinny, firefox is only good with extensions. Opera had all I want without extensions but new version is chromium, so I didn't like it too. I'm trying to use Vivaldi recently. It's build by old Opera users as you can understand from its name and GUI :} Red again. Still on technical preview versions, but I think it's a good alternative.

18. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

And me thats because Firefox and Safari sucks on my Mac

19. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

To bad i cant test it Apple crap backwards compability i really do hate apple

20. iownu1000

iownu1000 Noisemaker

Yeah I've always used multiple browsers so I could view and use content from all the different accounts I have. There was a time years ago, where Chrome was one of the fastest and simplest browsers in my experience, so I would always install it into friends and family's computer with some extensions as a "safer" option over IE. Because, as Xupito said, novice users like familiarity, something use to. And you know how people will click a few of the millions of fake download & "We have detected a Virus, do a free Virus Scan to get rid of it" ads and then come crying to me asking why their computer runs like shit... well yeah, it has a Virus now...

That's very interesting, I didnt know that Mozilla depends on Google for the majority of their revenue, it seems so obvious now that you say it, and I'm sure it's that way with a lot of internet companies. Google kind of runs the internet world in large part, and like it or not that's the reality of our world.

For example, I much prefer Android and hate iOS, once you use Android OS and the freedom of modding I can't go with regular vanilla stock phone operating systems anymore. Android is really the only big competitor to Apple in the phone market, and God help us if Apple became the Monopoly. As much as I hate big corporations & Google's business tactics, they exist as a big company because of the large profits they create for their shareholders.

Unfortunately, as much as I hate Apple's business model, they have been grossly successful, and are the most profitable company in the world. Therefore to stay competitive, companies like Google, Samsung (with their new line of iPhones), Microsoft (with their universal operating system for Phones, Tablets and PC's) are all following suit.

21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The FF browsers crown was taken by Chrome, and it was a fair winner as much as I didn't like it. With similar standards compliance, the much faster Chrome Javascript engine made a big difference at the time.

So many calls from friends or administrative job mates saying "Xupito, I think I have a virus..." "Don't touch anything!!! I'm on my way!!"...

Actually, Android is for mobile devices what Windows is for computers. Fragmented hardware user base but cheaper and more customizable for medium and advanced users. There's a big difference tough, Iphone market share is bigger than Macintosh one. Iphones turned Apple from red numbers to extremely green ones (do you guys remember Microsoft's famous economic injection at Apple toughest moments?) . IMHO there won't be Iphone monopoly because Iphones are expensive and iOS is way more a hardware obsolete-maker than Android, just like Mac OS X is compared to Windows on computers.

I think Microsoft strong bet on tactile friendly OS for all devices is an attempt to target the next "possibly" big emerging market. The ultra tablet one (or tactile mini laptops if you prefer). They have lost the internet and smartphone/tablet battles against Apple/Google. They also lost the eye candy desktop OS battle against Apple with Windows 7. But they maintain their dominant role with PC desktop OS and they have nothing to lose with their attempts to make desktop Windows tactile friendly even if they get hate for Windows 8, for example.