Sonnox Oxford Dynamic EQ or Kirchhoff EQ

Discussion in 'Software' started by HammerTiMe, May 17, 2023.

1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Sometimes I use Hofa dynamic eq, tdr nova, ozone dyn eq, but usually soothe2, pro-q3, kirchhoff, rarely others...
    Manual gain-downing in RX (select harmonic or wider area and some gain)..
    Some of these plugins are more "filtery", others work way subtle, slightly... Spectral balancers rarely too (teote, gullfoss...)

2. mild pump milk

Reaper.
    Tone generator js, 1kHz for example.
    Js spectrum analyzer after kirchhoff (up to -450dB range or more, high fft).
    Many shelves at highs, copy one on another.
    Switch 64 vs 117.
    See the difference (but in normal cases you will not hear it). 117 is less noisier than 64.

3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Sonnox GUI looks like a sraight up bite from ProQ. And it's overpriced.
    Kirchhoff EQ is not without flaws either. Most of the Curve Types trying to resemble vintage gear are off. There are videos about it.

And then they use a quote by this fool from MixbusTV which they present as "Platinum mixing/mastering engineer, producer". He's a YouTuber not a top notch engineer. All he does is try to gain popularity so he can get paid for quotes by Plugin Devs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Sonnox is the former SSL people right?

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

neither, fuck iLok and fuck PA licensing system too,

if you want a decent versatile dynamic EQ, TDR Nova is free, you can buy Nova GE edition (it's worth the cost!), imo Fabfilter Pro-Q3 is overrated, but still remains great option too,
    then there's ToneBoosters Equalizer 4, DMGAudio Multiplicity, Melda MAutoDynamicEq....
    :chilling:

6. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

It doesn't feature sidechain options (compared to Oxford) and the knee on iZotope is harder than Oxford's (oxford is really soft knee). Additionally, Oxford lets you manipulate a frequency by the signal of a different frequency - like boosting 150 hz only when the bass hits a low 30Hz D (to make it more audible) or whatever tricks you may want to use...

I can't hear differences between them in sound quality per se, but the knee setting influences a lot when and how the ducking kicks in, thus affecting the final audio result.

I reach for Oxford pretty much every time for the reasons stated above and also because the controls are big and easy to manipulate

7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Kinda get the concept that you get more headroom, low floor noise with greater bit depth. Logically it works like that.

That guy, the comment I shared is saying that 64bit FP is a better/greater resolution technically when compared to the 117 Bit, which is strange. I did look for it but couldn't find anything that can prove what he is saying except the truncation when the DAW is running 32bit FP but the plugin is running at 64bit FP it will goes down to 32bit FP during processing.

I'm trying to understand if is it true that if your DAW is running at low precision, it doesn't mean much for the plugin to run at higher precision. I don't know if there's a DAW that can run higher than 64bit FP precision (correct me if there is such a thing, not sure about Samplitude, Sequoia, I dont use them).

8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Can't say much about the Sonnox because I never used it, but what you are describing is already in the Multiband Compressor territory for me. Well, we all work differently.

9. mild pump milk

Probably it is just process 64 bit float input with their 117bit and converts back to 64 bit float, but with less distortion and noise, might be it is so that we see on analyser such very small enhancement... I will test again to see, how many dB less noise, but it doesn't matter for such giantic ranges....

10. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Yes, Sonnox is pricey. But it sounds damn good.

Not only are the curves all off, but they are all the same.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. mild pump milk

Tried to match kirchhoff's emulated curves vs Equilibrium's some models.... Extremely different. Which is closer I don't know, and why do we need that, if it is possible to customize, sculpt any you need for material.

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

FF Pro Q3 or stock EQ

13. dondada

dondada Rock Star

I Like Turtles
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. mild pump milk

Mario is cool as fuck :D dondada жжёт :D

15. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

Mixbustv....
    Ok, he mixed an album from mcsolar...
    Ok, at the beginning, before he had a ton of subscribers, he used to pull out some quite interesting videos... but suddenly, like many (most youtubers), he turned to the dark side of the platform, aka 'obsession with making more and more cash), and he basically became a plug-in tester, where he can get those $5000...10k...$15k+ deals...

'Ohhh, today I'm going to talk about this AMAZING plug-in, that i have been using for the last X months, and it's just so incredible it quickly became my favorite, my goto comp/eq/dist/etc plug-in! "
    Then, the guy will basically reads the manual and presents the various features.... and voilà: "...bla bla bla you can check this plug-in, there is a link in the description, bla bla bla"

And why i think he became a nice little scumbag...? Because he should at least have the balls to say that he is taking money from the company, to talk about that product,... at least, use some kind of disclaimer... but no. He gives the impression that he really is using that plug-in... when in reality, he is using that plug-in BECAUSE the company probably reached him, sent him a NFR license, and offered him big $/€, for him to talk about the product.

And of course, hilariously, everything in those products is amazing ! There is never the slightest issue whatsoever, or a '... but there is this feature that i absolutely hate...' or '...it could be much better, if there was this or that option...'... no, it's all perfection, it's all amazing. --> go check my link, and buy it !

And probably thousands of subscribers will immediately check that product, and buy it, because... the product is amazing !

The moment he started becoming quite well known, he immediately moved most of his 'production'/'tutorials' videos to his patreon, or his website, and only left on youtube all the product placement/ selling shit. Pffff

At one moment, he was bragging about her new chick, the metal/gothic singer...how a 'real production' required half a million dollars, otherwise, you're just a poor little shit of a producer, if you release a track with just a few bucks. Real men, real pros, it's $500k, at least... or go home !

Well, I've listened to some of the tracks he made for his chick... maybe he is a good mixer/ engineer, but music and melody wise, it made my ears bleed. 100% pure shit. I swear to God, a 10yo kid with garageband would create better melodies and better... everything, than those songs.
    Those memories and music are worth $5... not $500k
    Minimalism is an euphemism.

So yeah, mixbus is just one of the hundreds of channels, that quickly turned into product reviewers/ sellers.
    Even the snake oil guy, with his green and purple nails, at least, at the beginning, he would make some interesting videos. And suddenly, he started making his snakeoil reviews, where he will rate a plug-in 2/5 instead of 4/5, because he didn't like the 3d screws on the gui, or because the gui uses a metallic texture... where he will randomly turn a few knobs, without reading the manual, and in just 2 minutes of using the product, it is good... or bad !
    Today, no more need to do real work. With 150k subs, the ads revenue, the youtube members, the patreon, the thomann/etc affiliate stuff, no need to make videos about production/ etc.
    Oh, i checked a few videos, about the products he talks about, they ALL have a direct link, with an affiliate code on the url.
    Bias, anyone ?

Unfortunately, tons of folks will watch all these videos from these 'pro' guys, and will go buy those products, because the youtuber said it is his new favorite plug-in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

I came to say something but forgot after seeing all those words. *Homer backing into bushes.gif*

17. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I'm aware of his existence since his Philippe Zdar (RIP Legend) studio tour, just look at how clueless he was back then lol.

UAD didn't want to pay him for their new Capitol Mastering Compressor (the plugin is in demo) and this is the result :rofl::

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

I would never trust a word from a person who looks like that and uses yellow on magenta for video previews.
    Is he a brother from another mother of Steven Slate?

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Jesus it's the guy with the scary-ass hair!!! :deep_facepalm::crazy::suicide: