SONiVOX Orchestral Companion - Strings on sale at €1.20

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Diabulus in Musica, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Diabulus in Musica

Diabulus in Musica Platinum Record

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

The offer ends on December 31st, 2016. I'm waiting for Santa. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

But is it really worth 1,2 euros?

5. Willum

Willum Rock Star

This is from a larger review of sonivox orchestral products on may 2016 from sound on sound.

"Orchestral Companion Strings

FSC’s publicity text poses the rhetorical question: “What would Jaws have been without the menacing drun-da, drun-da, drun-da in the background, announcing the imminent arrival of one of filmdom’s most infamous villains? Does anyone not know that music?” I’ve heard the music many times, though I must admit the lyrics are new to me. Good point, though: without the ‘drun-das’, this might have been yet another failed film about a bad-tempered fish with Luis Su rez-style dental tendencies, but the ominous two-note motif certainly added gravitas and, er, bite.

If you want to play your own ‘shark alert’ riffs, load the Orchestral Companion Strings instrument’s Ensemble Strings patch, select its spiccato articulation and hammer out some low octaves. You’ll then hear the cellos and double basses doing their big, sonorous, heavyweight Stravinsky-esque Jaws thing in a very agreeable concert hall acoustic. This patch also incorporates keyswitchable sustain, staccato and tremolo styles, as well as characterful pizzicatos which show off the plush sound of the cello section. Above all, the strings’ tonal breadth is fabulous, a reminder of why this collection received so many plaudits on its original release.

FSC’s Orchestral Companion Strings player features built-in effects, including a convolution reverb, filter, EQ and LFO controls.
    FSC’s Orchestral Companion Strings player features built-in effects, including a convolution reverb, filter, EQ and LFO controls.I like the way the string ensemble responds to touch: there’s an immediacy and brightness in the sustains which encourages rhythmic playing (not always the case with long-note samples), and the brisk, businesslike spiccatos motor along nicely, a perfect vehicle for energetic rhythmic writing. In a more romantic vein, the built-in volume swell and pronounced vibrato of the strings’ espressivo style is very nice indeed, and works well on high violin lines and lyrical mid-range chords. The cellos’ espressivos sound particularly emotional, and since they play up into a fairly high register, you can use them as a stand-alone section for compositional purposes.

While the string ensemble’s seamless mapping of violins, violas, cellos and basses across a six-octave range is highly playable, the individual instrument sections perform some useful extra articulations, such as tremolo sul ponticello and alternating up-and-down bows on their spiccato and staccato deliveries. Reflecting FSC’s stripped-down, easy-on-the-pocket approach, there are no con sordinos, col legnos, trills, harmonics or effects, and no solo strings (which were also absent in the original library). Interval legato samples are conspicuous by their absence, but the smooth bowing style of the sustains can handle melody lines reasonably well."

Seems like its worth it to me, i hope so anyway as i just bought it. :)

6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Be wary, this requires iLok registration.