Sonimus Satson and Britson aliasing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Victor, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

As much as I love Sonimus plugins, it seems that both Britson and Satson have aliasing on frequencies higher than 10-11kHz.
    Satson has aliasing at about -70 dB.
    What does that mean? It means that I wouldn't use them on the master bus or on tracks with instruments that have energy in that high frequency range.

Satson aliasing 12kHz sine wave
    [​IMG]

Britson aliasing 12kHz sine wave
    [​IMG]

I used Reaper JS: Synthesis/tonegenerator with these settings:
    wet mix (dB): -17.0
    dry mix (dB): -6.0
    base frequency (Hz): 12000
    I didn't drive the volume on either Satson or Britson, the volume knob was at unity (0). The vu meter was reading between -2 and -1 on Britson and Satson, so it was never in the Red.

3. lukie

lukie Newbie

I've switched to sonalksis freeg and psp vu2 in live and with cubase you only need psp vu2 as cubase comes with input gains, this is why cubase still rocks :thumbsup:

4. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

Hmm.. first of, did you hear aliasing or do you measure it ? If you hear it, you have a point, if you only measure it : don't do that :).

From what I see on that graph is the THD the plugins add, and the aliasing line is the red one, right ? So it aliasing at 22.05 kHz ? Where everything aliases at working at 44.1 kHz? Outside human hearing ?

5. Victor

Victor Noisemaker

dipje no, the red line is 22kHz Niquist limit. The sine wave is at 12kHz and the aliasing is at 8 kHz, it should not be there. Test with any lower frequencies: 100, 500, 1000, etc. You will not see anything below the base frequency, but when you go higher than 10-11 kHz, then you see - that's aliasing.