Sonic Academy

Discussion in 'Education' started by Dickbrain, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Dickbrain

Dickbrain Newbie

been using sonic for a couple years now, in the beginning i thought it was incredible but now i feel as if im out growing it?? i honestly just hop on the forum now, the tutorials are all pretty bad as of late.

3. haartbrejker

haartbrejker Newbie

I agree with you, even the last one with Ryan Enzed was bad, the problem is that Sonic Academy dont teach you to do modern and popular music.
    There is only one really good out there, this guys are awesome, i've learned a lot from them.

http://abletunes.com/

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i find dmp totally boring, they always tell stuff to slow and things i already know.

sonic academy was great as i started with Ableton, now its not experimental enough for me.
    currently nobody offers a usefull tutorial about glitch or something in that direction.

my opinion is still that you can learn from the process alone or the production together with people, like hey we are interested in the same genre, lets make a track and share ideas, concepts, so that we can both learn from it.

5. fuad

fuad Producer

Yeah I feel the same way about Sonic academy, I feel like they make videos for the sake of making videos but I find the content to be quite lackluster and haphazardly put together. I understand that making tutorials filled with heavy content takes a long time to make and needs quite a bit of postproduction but if they really want to offer value to people then that's what they need to do. Most of the things they teach in their courses you can find readily on youtube for free, nothing special.

6. fuad

fuad Producer

Couldn't have described it more perfectly. My issue with DMP is that it still does not go as deep into the technicalities of production, mixing and mastering as most people would like it to. Producers, especially intermediate and semi-professional ones really want to know all the ins and outs and all the tricks, they don't just want the basics, they want the secrets.

7. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

I agree that the newer stuff gets worse and worse, they did put much more effort into their stuff some years ago, but now they just seem to cater juvenile beginners with the most popular genres. At the end of the day they have to sell their product, and only few people are interested in special genres compared to the masses who want Electro House or Complexto shit.

Exactly my thoughts, nothing more boring and unexciting then DMP stuff - the guy made some cookie cutter Trance in the 90s and now thinks he knows it all. Of course he has some experience, but he just is a bad teacher. I'd rather have an average producer but being an excellent teacher then vice versa.

They make videos not for the sake of videos, but to sell their subscriptions of course. And they try to promote and sell their VSTs.

But their business model is at stake as Youtube tutorials get better and better these days.

8. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

Respect has nothing to do with reviewing products. I didn't say his other stuff is total rubbish, his method of teaching is just not that efficient and rather boring. I'd rather have short, to the point videos then two hour sessons where I have to wait and wait for sth interesting to happen.

I can remember having watched good stuff from Olav Basoski, or Timothy Allen - they do share some secrets though it's still rather basic stuff.

As a long-term Live user I would recommend: Tom Cosm, Mr. Bill, Sadowick, AbletonDaily, BassGorilla, ArtFX, Seamless (FL Studio), Danny J Lewis (Logic, Cubase), Daniel James (mostly Scoring, nice product reviews), Steve Foulds (Zebra, Massive, FM8...) - all of it for free on Youtube. :wink:

9. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

7 Skies channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/7Skiestv?feature=watch also good one if u are in trance

10. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Pensados place is also good channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCno8mYpnGhTA9COSW9sP8gQ

Olav Basoski has a series on Ask video and groove3, great videos

There is no good tuts without good examples... per example, D.Ramirez has great 6 part videos of making "subsonic life" song...

11. Dickbrain

Dickbrain Newbie

i love pensados place!