Songs recorded & mixed in my home studio

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by LargeZ, Mar 8, 2013.

1. LargeZ

LargeZ Newbie

Hi all

I just record and mix 3 acoustic demo tracks for a pop/folk french band in my little home studio.
    They sing in english with a strange accent :wow: I know :wink:
    This band is composed of singers, guitar, upright bass and e-drum.

So could you give me your opinion on the mix? :grooves: Obviously all your comments are welcome... even the worst!
    LZ

https://soundcloud.com/gilouloulou/prickly-pearl-make-me-grow

https://soundcloud.com/gilouloulou/prickly-pearl-pass-another-stage

3. LargeZ

LargeZ Newbie

...and the third track

[media]https://soundcloud.com/gilouloulou/prickly-pearl-meeting[/media]

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Really like the third one... very pro sounding mixes. nice vocals... very complimentary of each other.

Reminds me a bit of..10,000 Maniacs. :thumbsup:

Impressed...Liked :wink: :grooves: :dancing:

5. LargeZ

LargeZ Newbie

OneReason, I'm really glad that you answer ... you!
    Did you know that you are for me a reference on this forum :wink:

Thank you for your positive comments because I know that your ear is insightful.

Now I like vstyler too :mates:

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Oh, thats a nice thing to say.. :)

Ur welcome. :mates:

7. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

There can only be one thing wrong with these tracks and its quite simple to pick up if you just close your eyes and listen. I think it has a lot to do with how muddy it sounds, its not bad, but it does sound sorta muddy. I've heard of plenty of tips and tricks to fix this, its quite simple. It involves one key tool, a simple one too. None of that technological VST or RTMAS mumbo jumbo, just some good old fashion elbow grease.I don't want to keep rambling so I'll cut to the chase. Needs more........ COWBELL!! :rofl:

You can go ahead and thank me later. But in all honesty, the mixes sound really good for a home studio. Keep up the good work, sir! :mates:

8. LargeZ

LargeZ Newbie

Thanks for your comment and especially for taking time to listen to these songs :grooves:
    Yessss, I probably used too much plugins in order to clean all the imperfections of the recording! With the back I acknowledge that it's a mistake when you make demo songs which should be close to the versions performed in live.
    I think the drums are really the weak point of the recording (the sound comes from the Roland TD-11)

I'll certainly redo the mix of these tracks when I'll record new demos for this band... with more natural and lively sound :break:
    Cheers :mates:

9. Burg

Burg Newbie

I only had time to listen to 3rd track, but I thought it was really nice

The drums sound good to me.

Recording Acoustic gtrs always makes me nervous. I think you did a great job on them. The only thing I can say is that the gtrs sound awesome in the first half of the tune and then when the energy picks up (drums ..strumming) if feels like it thins out a little. Which is always tough when you have a trio like this (drums/bass/ acoustic gtrs) I usually try to sneak in an electric gtr very low in the mix (like a telecaster or something/ open chords) to beef out the rhythm section when things pick up....to my ears it seems to push the song forward a little more.

That is more of a personal decision so take it with a grain of salt (thats a US expression .. means my opinion is just one point of view)

Thanks for posting these. I'm really getting into checking out other people's music here.

10. LargeZ

LargeZ Newbie

Thanks for your advice and happy you like the sound and perhaps the song too :) About the electric guitar I think it's a good idea to add some guitar licks to intensify the second part of the song (IMO it become repetitive on 2nd part). So I'll talk about this to the members of the band... (but I'm just the guy which has recorded & mixed the tracks!)

Yeah! in france we use almost the same expression : "...grain of salt" but it doesn't means the same. In french we have "Mettre son grain de sel". Its mean "to interfere in something".

Thanks for your comment :wink:

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

The mix is very good.. I wouldn't worry too much, I have just payed to my band-mates.. and all agree, great sounding mix.

Ur on the right track.