Songs I'm Working On This Week...

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Impressive, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I made these snippets over the last few months but I didn't have enough time to finish them up. Now that I've got time, I'm finally finishing them up this week. Take a listen if you will...

It's a lot to listen, but several just need mastering as the full versions have been finished. Just showcasing some of the stuff I been doing the last few days.

3. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Personally, I think you need to push yourself outside a style that you have mastered. These tracks are "nice"... it's pleasant and sweet and if that's your thing, go right ahead. You're making music that makes you happy. But a big part of a life of music is the idea of growing and incorporating new moods, styles and techniques. I still push myself after 40 years

https://soundcloud.com/stephenrlayton

And to clarify the relation to what I'm doing this week, see above,but what I was doing previously, so as not to give the impression I am avant garde with no musical ability:

https://www.reverbnation.com/stephenlayton

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
  4. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Yeah I don't intend to make a living off music. I make music solely for the purpose of making me feel happy. Yes, I push myself to make music outside my comfort level... but thru different projects. This particular name... Everlasting Friday... is one of 38 musical projects I have done. Those projects varied in styles from progressive rock, metal, trap, EDM, Dubstep, Glitch, Drum n Bass/Electronica (think Squarepusher, Biosphere, etc), Punk, New Age, Industrial, and everything in between. The reason why you hear that one style on that particular soundcloud is because it is the style for that particular project. I have removed most of the other projects from the internet due to me not paying attention to these projects. While they were somewhat "active", Everlasting Friday continues to be the most popular one even with equal amount of promotion efforts as the other 37 projects. Everlasting Friday continues to grow in terms of subscribers and, while only about 180 people, it's still far more subscribers than last year. This particular soundcloud has been around since 2010 and used to have numerous styles of music scattered all over it until around 2014... when I started pushing certain tracks out to put new ones in. Some tracks were removed due to hard drive failure in October of 2014 when I lost the original multi-track projects to about 850 different songs (yes, I've written a lot of songs lol). So I took some of the songs down due to the fact I can't build on them anymore without starting new... and I never ended up starting them over because trying to make them sound the way they did again would be a pain in the butt. When I write a song, I'm feeling a certain mood when I make them. In the event where a song's project is lost and I wanna reconstruct that song, I have to be feeling the way I did when I originally made it, and be going thru the same stuff. Otherwise it just doesn't feel right, and it kinda takes away the songs importance for me. I make music to help me feel even more of what I am feeling. Music is like a 6th sense for me. That is why you only hear what you hear. Occasionally, I will do other styles of music but I will not often post them unless there is a high demand for them. In other words, if you put up a poll for me to share select content from my other 37 projects and at least 65% of people vote yes in a week, then I will share. Until then, those projects just weren't as popular so I retired them. :mates:

5. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I wish you the best of luck and I'm glad you've found a style you enjoy. I've been fiddling about for 40 years and I'm still not happy.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Back in 1995 I was signed to a label and got some trance released on vinyl. Got a good review in Rolling Stone too.... they compared it to Underworld. Best moment of my life was in a club, maybe 2000 people and the DJ put my song on. I wanted to run around the room telling everyone "I did this!!!"

7. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

Such a good feel in that moment :)