Sonarworks setup with headphones and speakers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gjones42, Feb 5, 2020.

1. gjones42

gjones42 Newbie

Hey I just ordered Sonarworks Reference 4 studio edition, so I can calibrate my monitors as well as my beyerdynamic 1990s. Im wondering what's the best way to be able to use Sonarworks with both the speakers and headphones? Im in Ableton Live, so right now I would basically have the headphone calibration and speaker calibration on my master channel. Whichever one is not in use would be bypassed, so each time I switch to my monitors from my headphones, I will have to bypass the headphone calibration, then enable speaker calibration. Is there an easier/,more efficient way of doing this, since I will constantly be switching back and fourth for referencing? I have an Apollo Twin interface, my speakers are in the outputs 1 and 2, and my headphones are in the headphone out. Maybe there is a way to send speaker calibration to only outputs 1 and 2, while having my headphone calibration sent to headphone out. I don't think that would work because UAD has said that the headphone out just mirrors the output 1 and 2 signal. Also I see I have to bypass the plugin whenever I am bouncing or exporting my project stems, I assume this also applies when I have to freeze my tracks in Ableton? thanks guys!

3. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

Easy:
    You make a return that comes from the master into a track and send that track into the output of the soundcard.
    On that track you load the Sonarworks plugin and select the appropriate calibration.
    Repeat for the other channel.

Done

Edit: this is the general workaround for ableton live. In your case, you have to manually switch between the profiles.

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This is easy to avoid, just use it as a systemwide application, not in your DAW. Another benefit of this is that it's used for all sources (mediaplayers).

5. gjones42

gjones42 Newbie

anyway you can send a picture of that (if you have it setup like that)

6. gjones42

gjones42 Newbie

Thats what I wanted to do but I heard about the latency issues. I wont be recording live vocals or instruments, just midi. Would the latency effect this? What filter are you using to have decent latency? I would prefer to use the linear just so its more accurate, but that also adds even more latency in addition to using system wide :O

7. shankar

shankar Platinum Record

You have a On / Off switch to activate it.
    You can put it on and use it only for your mix and mastering sessions and put it off when you are tracking your instruments or vocals

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Good one :winker:, that's even worse because you can't use direct monitoring and need CPU power to process the sound.
    Other than that, what @shankar said. For recording switch off everything that causes latency (above ~ 5ms), for mixing (and mastering) latency doesn't matter.