Sonarworks Reference 4 Systemwide not working (Win10)

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrLoo, Mar 14, 2021.

1. MrLoo

MrLoo Newbie

Hi! I've just installed newest R2R version 4.4.7 of the Sonarworks Reference 4.
    The VST plugins work fine (inside Cubase Pro 11 and Ableton Live 11) but as in couple of previous cr@cked versions the "Reference Systemwide" app is NOT working. I keep getting this error:

"Audio playback engine failed to start.
    Reference 4 Systemwide was unable to start the audio playback engine with output device. Please verify the output device configuration in audio settings and try restarting the audio playback engine. If the problem persists please contact support."

Whatever I do I can't get it to work. Anyone has a similar problems or perhaps solutions?
    I'm on Win10 Pro 64-bit and my audiocard is RME FIreface UC (which otherwise works perfectly).

Thanks a lot :) ♪♫♪♫

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

It works like a charm here (Win 10 20H2 19042.867, newest build). No problem whatsover. In previous 2 (or 3) versions as well. Never had any problem.

have you replaced the exe files inside the Program Files ? 2 different places for 2 patched exe files included (Measure & Systemwide).

Also check your hosts file because newer version of Windows (20H2) make it hard to save the hosts file as a host file (the one without extension) but a .txt file instead without prompting the user.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  4. MrLoo

MrLoo Newbie

Thanks for the reply!
    Hosts file is patched, I double-checked.
    The thing is I don't even have any Reference 4 exe files installed in Program files (x86). The installer didn't ask me for a location or anything else (like choosing x64 or x86 plugins) it just installed. I did replace everything else I could find- plugin dll's as well as exe files in 64bit Program files folder, both for Measure and Systemwide. No change:/

5. danx

danx Newbie

Same here
    Audio playback engine failed to start.
    WIndows 11 R2R latest Sonarworks