Something New - A laid back Techno tune :)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by louislouis, Oct 31, 2017.

1. louislouis

louislouis Producer

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Quite nice. Productionwise I like the stereo effects (the permanent and all the "drop ins"), the soft low organ in the background (nice idea), and the 10/4 melody (creative).
    For me the bass is a little bit too dull and I'm missing some kind of sound (pad?) glueing the whole thing together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. louislouis

louislouis Producer

Thanks mate I was thinking maybe a proper lead line or something, but maybe a strong pad sound might work, I was just trying to keep this track simple, just so I could get something finished and get back in the flow of producing.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I would not call this one simple :no:

6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

its not that it sounds bad at all to me. it is just so plain, it dont feel like anything is happening ( not as much a problem with your song itself but i think the genre)

you can make a lot more happening as far as tension, to resolution ( V7 to I) , but having it quiet in the background not interfering with the beat , and having it ambient, this would dramatically inject emotion into the song and add to it without taking anything at all away from it.

if your interested in doing this but need a little help with the theory behind it let me know.

for example your song starts out in the key of D# major ( E- major)
    (the way you already made it is in that key)

E- major notes E- F G A- B- C D

here are the chords and their function.

I. home E- G B- D E-maj7
    II. tension F A- C E- F min7
    III. home G B- D F G min7
    IV. tension A- C E- G A- maj7
    V. most tension B- D F A- B- dom7
    VI. home C E- G B- C min7
    VII. tension D F A- C D min7 flat 5

now say you have a single E- note ringing out and you want to make it more musical ( this is what literally happening in the song you made)

1. you turn the note into its home major chord. which is I or 1 or I. home E- G B- D E-maj7
    2. now to add more detail anytime you have a 1 chord or I or home E- G B- D E-maj7
    you can instantly turn it into a cadence , that is the strongest tension to resolution a more detailed version of just your single chord
    you have 2 options the most simple which is V7 to I or II , V7, I
    so you can now turn your single chord into this

to
    I. home E- G B- D E-maj7

instant emotion created, ( all in the space that your original E- note was)you dont have to chage anything your adding to what you already had.

next a more detailed version of the same thing goes like this.

I. home E- G B- D E-maj7
    (even more emotion created)

next a more detailed version of the same thing is the 4 chord version which is VI, II, V, I

VI. home C E- G B- C min7
    I. home E- G B- D E-maj7
    (even more emotion created)

here are more also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this chart shows many options you have.
    barely touches the surface.

just to finish up. what i been explaining to you is a way (not to change your song)
    but to add detail to the song, to breath life into the song by using tension and resolution that forces the listener to be emotionally excited by the music.( they just know they like it)
    remember you have full control of how you do this. it can be very quiet compared to the volume of the beat so it actually wouldn't sound different than what you have just create much more emotional impact. hope i helped a little and hope you have fun with it.

every song that had multiple millions of people buy it and listen to it a lot, had tension to resolution as i have described it to you here. (even if they did it in the most simple way possible)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017