someone who watched 101 bobby owninski mixing tricks i have a question

Discussion in 'Education' started by samsome, Oct 30, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

#5 The Moving Filter Trick

on a doubled track
    he puts a low pass filter on one track and high pass filter on the other...

and what happens? i don't understand

what is the effect on this...and why is the title called "moving filter trick"
    it doesn't automate anything so what moves i don't get it

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2021
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

HPF/LPF on every track, or just sometimes?
    https://gearspace.com/board/so-much...58516-hpf-lpf-every-track-just-sometimes.html

CJ Mastering say:
    High pass filtrign is a major part of impekmting the Complimentary EQ Techniques and when you do it right, you area able to get a more clearer and louder master as all the unwanted junk is taken away.

To answer the question, Yes, Maybe, No.. When its done correctly, its a good thing. When its done wrong, its a bad thing. Its just like everything else in mixing. That said, there is no template, so treat each instrument track on a track by instrument track basis as each instrument will need different things done to it, such as hi pass filtering.

Sammy909 say:
    Even If you can't really hear the frequencies below 100 hz (just an example) on a synth, once that synth is placed in a mix of 50 tracks all containing barely audible frequencies below 100 hz, it all adds up! !!!! So you end up with a muddy mix that is lacking any kind of definition and clarity in the kick drum and bass guitar. So it's better to high pass just to get those frequencies out from the get go! This will help keep everything tight and working together.

I really hope this helps! Good luck and have fun

4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I remember watching it loooong time ago, I think it means "movement" of the sound because of the phase interaction between the left and right channel because doing opposite filters for each brings more "difference" (the side information) for already delayed 1 signal (the doubling effect) so it creates movement between those two channels creating interesting stereo effect that feels a lot like (an illusion) you are automating the filters.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. samsome

samsome Guest

no he does it on a doubled track...same performance played twice.....he puts low pass on one and high pass on the other

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. samsome

samsome Guest

hmmm i'll have to listen it again to see if i notice that difference

7. samsome

samsome Guest

sorry still trying to understand

basically he takes two Double track performances

one is Electric guitar (two takes panned left and right) and one is Acoustic guitar (two takes panned left and right)

he just makes each instrument to be heard more clearly on each side, placing the brightness emphasis on each instrument on the other side

so he makes the Acoustic guitar
    darker on the left side, Brighter on the right side

and the electric guitar
    brighter on the left side, darker on the right side

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2021
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Yes that makes sense - nice that you mention the guitars. I still found this:

High Pass Filter
    Your absolute best friend on acoustic guitars (or any guitar really) is the good ole’ high pass filter. Also known as a low cut, this simple EQ move gently rolls off the low end of your mix and let’s the high frequencies pass through unaffected. In practice you might not notice much of a sonic difference as you roll that high pass filter up to the 100Hz range. But in reality it is doing three things.

First it’s removing noise in the track. Any kind of low frequency hum or room noise captured when miking the acoustic will be removed which only cleans up the track. Secondly it frees up the low frequency spectrum in your mix for more important instruments down there like the bass guitar and kick drum (assuming there is one). And thirdly, it frees up headroom in your overall mix, which is a good thing.

How high should you go? If the acoustic is a dominant instrument, then start around the 100Hz mark. This will leave plenty of warmth and fullness in the low mids while still keeping out the unwanted super low stuff. If the acoustic is only for texture and strumming in a dense mix, I tend to roll it up closer to the 200Hz and 300Hz range. It might sound thin in solo mode, but it’ll be perfect in the mix.

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/some-tips-for-mixing-acoustic-guitar/