Someone Used Shoutcast? How To Stream Internet Radio?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Daisy69, May 9, 2023.

1. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

Someone have experience with Shoutcast?
    Am I stupid or isn't possible to Stream Online?
    How to change IP?

Ok. So from beginnig.
    I created free account - Broadcast from own computer for free.
    Downloaded server app.
    I configured everything.
    But as default there is ip address: 127.0.0.1 - it is local address
    I didn't see option to change that :(
    There is only option to set own port like: 8080
    And I'm using "butt" software for broadcasting.
    Ok, so in butt soft i needed to enter: 127.0.0.1, port 8080 and password + auth code from shoutcast account.
    There is info on configuration web http://127.0.0.1:8080/admin - that stream is online and public.
    On my shoutcast account showed up link with stream automatically with my real IP address.
    It was text: here is link for your stream: http://7.134.78.8:8080

The problem is this link didn't work.
    Only I can play and hear locally this link: http://127.0.0.1:8080

How to stream online for global network?
    What I'm doing wrong?
    How to change IP adress from local 127.0.0.1 to my IP 7.134.78.8?
    and stream it under this link: http://7.134.78.8:8080?

3. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Platinum Record

no idea about this, but 127.0.0.1 is the local host - ur pc, maybe u need a static ip, not an expert, but even if u have a static ip i dont think its a good idea to post it in the open.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

This Tutorial is good.

https://www.rcast.net/knowledgebase/2/How-To-Setup-An-SHOUTcast-Internet-Radio-Station.html

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

Hmm.. I follow this tutorial and this is the same thing I did using butt soft but using different tools.
    There is less lag but sound is very buggy like accelerated. I tried different things in Winamp settings and in dsp plugin different decoder settings but doesn't help.
    Nevermind.
    It is the same as butt soft. I can only add local address 127.0.0.1 or my router address.
    Both of them work only locally.

How to make it work online?
    How to get address that I want?
    What I need to do?
    Now I can put in the address input only: 127.0.0.1 or router address.
    Nothing else didn't work.

[​IMG]

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I did live streaming for something like 10+ years.

So basically the shout architecture works that you need 2 components (3 if you count your listeners). So you need a source, then the streaming server and finally the people tuning in need a supported player.

This was basically the setup for our show: for source, I used Darkice. This is the bit that encodes (optionally saves) the live audio and sends it to the streaming server. You don't need much upstream bandwidth here, anything that handle something like 192kbps/sec MP3 (though you should consider more modern options these days). Powerwise, back in the day, I ran it on a 486, and that was fine. A Raspberry Pi should work well, with a USB audio interface.

The streaming servers that takes the source and distributes it to the listeners. It doesn't need a lot of computing power, but it does need enough bandwidth to serve your listeners. These days something like Amazon/Azure/Oracle/Hetzner are probably good options. You can run the server but you need enough solid bandwith, of course, and if you've a metered connection this is not a good option. From home running the streaming server you could probably serve tens or even hundreds of listeners, but if you're willing to pay a little bit every month your available options increase a lot. I think I used Icecast here.

As these days most devices, computers, phones and tablets etc. can play the streams (at least MP3/AAC) this is not a problem for clientside.

Of course you can forget all of this and just use Youtube or Twitch, but if you're playing commercial music they're notorious for shutting it down and banning you.

7. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

Ok. So I need a server (hosting)!
    So what I was trying to do now I can compare to putting an image on site.
    So it is like address 127.0.0.1 putted as server is something like I wanted put image on site and used as address path: [img.]C:/Users/Daisy/facepalm.jpg[./img]
    instead of uploading it to image hosting then copy address like: "http://uselessimages/upload99868/facepalm.jpg"

So I need online hosting or making a server using raspberry pi.
    Then using ip address of it and port and put those data into broadcasting tool.
    Am I right? :wink:

8. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

You're not wrong.

The options are basically:

1) The source on your local machine and the server hosted somewhere else, then people connect to the server which IP provides the bandwidth

2) The server and the source on your local machine, but then you need things like enough bandwidth, and an external IP from your service provider and you configure port forwarding. Then people connect to your external IP and you're golden. Just be careful that you have enough bandwidth and you don't exceed your bandwidth limits, or exceed your data cab.

2) Is a fine setup for smaller streams as long as your connection stays up. You can then of course save the live stream and upload it to Soundcloud/Mixcloud/whatever.

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

The main problem you're facing when serving anything over the internet is - you have to have a static IP address. Do you have one?

If the answer is no, setup a static IP address first using a service like noip dot com <-- this one is actually free. Then consider that for every user you have to have enough upload bandwidth. Like 128kbit per sec per user for a standard quality audio stream. If you have upload bandwidth of 1 mbit, that's gonna be enough for 8 users, 10mbit for ~80 etc.

10. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

I think I found solution:
    Winamp + Altacast DSP + Caster.fm - Basic Account Based On Icecast 2 Server (max 128kbps mp3 - 400 max listeners)

Everything For Free!
    This combination working the best for me!
    Only 3 seconds lag! :wink:

11. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

As an alternative for https://www.caster.fm I can recommend --> https://www.comcities.com/shoutcast-hosting

30 Days Free Account (max 320kbps mp3 - 1000 max listeners - 32 GB Monthly Bandwidth) + 1 GB Online Media Storage For AutoDJ

You can broadcast live via Winamp + Altacast DSP or You can upload music to Cloud Storage and play using AutoDJ.
    No credit card required! Just create account and use 30 days for free!

12. Coochie Bean Paste

Coochie Bean Paste Kapellmeister

13. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

14. Coochie Bean Paste

maybe better, my space isnt working too well...

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

probably easier to stream to YouTube using OBS, no need to mess with IPs and router port forwarding
    :chilling:

16. Coochie Bean Paste