SOMEONE TRYING TO STEAL MY MUSIC NEED HELP!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pfc1990, Aug 10, 2015.

1. pfc1990

pfc1990 Noisemaker

Guys, I'm relatively inactive on this forum. I've tried to help as many people as I can with production tips and tricks, but I do feel I bit overreaching asking for help. However, I think all those of you who are artists and are aware how much hard work it takes to perfect a song will understand my anger and utter disappointment with someone who tries to steal your music and sign it as their own. Which is exactly what's happening. I made an unofficial remix of Calvin Harri's and Disciples new song, How Deep Is Your Love.

Here's the link to my song:

This swedish guy whom I don't know and have never had any contact with is trying to steal it and says it's his:

Cleary, the guy/s saw how I'm just starting out, barely have any followers and such and thought nobody would notice. I noticed out of sheer luck looking for other remixes of the song.

Anyways, I would REALLY deeply appreciate it if you could report the guy. If anyone needs any evidence this is originally mine, I can post a video of the original ableton project file being played in my humble home studio. I thought this was kinda funny at first, seeing this guy shamelessly post it as his own, but it is starting to seriously bother me. I've already reported him, and he has actually blocked me from commenting the song.

Please give me a hand and let's make sure this guys never pulls this sort of shit again!

EDIT: The guy has deleted it from his account. THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HELPED AND COMMENTED. Word of advice, if you are going to release something for free, don't let it be a free download. People might try to steal it and you might never notice. Wait until you have a strong fanbase and just stream your stuff for free. If anyone wants it, tell them to msg you. THANK YOU AGAIN!

Sundance Paul

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  3. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

leave a post on his Soundcloud maybe... saying he stole yer shit...

there some comments on this douchebags soundcloud now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Christian Webster

Christian Webster Noisemaker

Hey man, sorry this happened to you. I see stuff like this happen all the time, but usually its with established producers who have a big enough fan base to knock the guy right out. Sadly, you don't in your case. Report the track to soundcloud and try to get as MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN to go hate on the guy's remix, and have THEM ALL report it for copright, and to link your track. I will go do it right now, and i would reccomend asking for help on this active reddit forum.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction

Best of luck! Also post the original project file video on reddit and your fanpage and link people to it. Gotta have proof, especially since you are both small producers, and you only uploaded it not much sooner than him. Your using toneden, see how many people downloaded, and who just followed you since you posted the track.

EDIT: My comments are being taken right off of soundcloud

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. pfc1990

pfc1990 Noisemaker

Tried it nicely at first, then the dude blocked me from commenting when I wanted to insist on him deleting it.

6. captainj

captainj Newbie

7. pfc1990

pfc1990 Noisemaker

Thank you man! It really sucks, specially when you spent an entire week getting it just right. Will surely follow your advice! Really appreciate the help.

8. pfc1990

pfc1990 Noisemaker

9. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

That really sucked – but it's great that you got it resolved. If it had been a high-profile or major-label artist, you would have had to hire an expensive lawyer, however.

If it's on Soundcloud, or on most "streaming" sites (including YouTube), it's a "free download" whether you intend, or like it, or not: downloader extensions to browsers can download all files linked on a given page. Download clients such as JDownloader can download them in no time – just copy the URL of the page; all linked files (photos, media) will appear in the GUI – et voilà! An entire Soundcloud playlist is thereby rendered "free" (albeit in MP3@128); same goes for streams on a Bandcamp page; likewise for . . . This is made possible by sites' hosting the audio files on a web server (along with the other content of the site), rather than on a media server "behind" the web server – but that's apparently too much trouble or expense for the developers of such sites, if they're even aware of this. I'm not giving advice on how to do this, I'm trying to enlighten anyone who doesn't want to "give-away" their recordings. (I am ignoring recording applications like Audio Hijack: they record, not download, audio.)

Whether or not one makes a song available as a free download has no bearing, though, on whether someone will plagiarize another's work. If anyone can hear your work, they can "bite your shit," just as if they can stream it, they can usually download it. Plagiarism has, thanks to digital copy/paste culture, practically become acceptable, unfortunately.

10. santillana

santillana Kapellmeister

glad is sorted. Stuff like this can really give's you constant headache. Great Remix BTW :)

11. Tomekk2025

Tomekk2025 Guest

Don't worry..:) If You have a project of this rmx in Your DAW he can kiss You in the ass :P You have proof it is Your work :)

12. itaudio

itaudio Noisemaker

Well, if you contact soundcloud staff and tell that someone had stolen your unofficial remix than isn't that a problem in itself?
    I know that it's a lot of unofficial remixes on soundcloud but are they legal?

13. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

how can he steal something that wasn't yours in the first place ?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

The original track ain't your's, and nobody cares about "these" remixes" except the dudes that leave a reply to ask you to check their soundcloud....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Yonah

Yonah Newbie

You did great by reaching out on this forum. Glad to see it got solved. Ultimately it was a positive experience because it both showed artistic solidarity and taught everybody here some caution. Cheers!

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It would be ironic if the software you used to make the remix was not legitimate :)

But in this case I am assuming it was :wink:

17. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

how did you approach the imaging on the lead? sounds nice on the laptop speaker

18. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP) member 4273174

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

no they are not! unless you are authorized to remix it, which he isnt.

20. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

never release full song , and make level down every 30 sec , people this days love to steel songs then make a big names .

21. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

Frankie Knuckles spins in his grave...