Some questions about Win 10 on Notebook

Discussion in 'PC' started by tulamide, Jan 9, 2017.

1. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

The new year 2017 didn't start well for me. The last three weeks I was without any electronic device other than a TV and an Xbox360 (Ever tried to browse the web with it? Don't!)

My beloved desktop pc said goodbye after I installed a new PSU and I don't know why. All individual parts work, the board is not giving any error beeps (but can, I tested by removing RAM), but the pc doesn't start. No signal on the monitor, no BIOS, nothing. Just all the fans of all the devices spin.

I had the chance to get an old Notebook from a friend. It is this one.

I don't know how intense I can use it to make music, since I'm afraid it is far too weak, but I would at least try. But that means trouble for me, because I know nothing at all about Notebooks. I never used one before. I also have no idea about Win 10, which is installed but not activated, because I worked with XP still on my old PC.

The questions are quite simple: What do I have to take care of, to be able to use a DAW on that Notebook with that Win 10? For example, I noticed that ads pop in every now and then. Apparently that's because it isn't activated. What else might happen? And do ads even pop in while you're working with, say, the DAW? And what about the Notebook? I see that the processor (usually at 2.6 GHz) is able to overclock up to ~3.1 GHz. But it also shows just 0.9 at times. Isn't it possible to have a fixed rate, or does it not interfere with the DAW?

I'm sure there is even more I have to think of that I am not aware of right now. Anybody who can contribute to this topic with the purpose of enabling me to make music, please reply.

If you only want to mention how bad or unfortunate the Notebook is according to your opinion - please don't. It won't change anything, I only have that Notebook and that not activated Win 10. Period.

Thank you all for reading!

3. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    Your desktop pc's mb is gone, probably the cpu voltage regulator or a capacitor (happens quite frequently to old mb's after upgrading the psu). Get it fixed or get a replacement one, it costs peanuts.
    Your notebook with win10 seems fine, if you don't use super demanding daws and/or tons of plugins. Don't worry about cpu varying freq, it's his bussines, the multiplier does that all the time on any computer, according to the cpu load.
    I recommend Acid 7pro, a very clean sounding daw, your nb can handle it with 10 tracks and 20 plugins easily. Also Sonar, it is the best daw in my opinion - sounds great, it is very intuitive to use, and has a fantastic Gui. The plugins - I use mostly ozone5, satin, and a rider. There are some good threads for choosing plugins, but it's better to have fewer, that you can learn to use very well.
    It's not about the gear, it's about the musician that uses it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Thank you.

If it is the motherboard, then the PC is telling me: "Please let me rest finally and get a new companion". I think I'll follow the advice. My PC knows best ;)

First installs work quite good on the notebook. I expected much more issues. I'll raise my voice again if I discover unsolvable issues.