Some People (Demo 3) Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by kearnsy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Howdo all?

This is the 3rd demo of this track I've been working on, I'd be grateful to hear what you think

I've taken on board the advice from everyone from previous tracks I've done by not over limiting the tracks or the master level to gain a bit of loudness

Let me know what it sounds like at your end with regards to the mix and the song itself, all feedback appreciated good and bad

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/kearnsykearns/some-people-demo-3

3. allshallfade

allshallfade Newbie

Regarding the song: I like it! I don't often comment here because most of the music on this forum isn't usually my style (even the genre that you're working in here), but I enjoyed this track.

That said, the mix is not strikingly bad in any way, but it does sound a bit unpolished in some. The percussion is fine in the mix overall, but regarding both their mix/composition, the clap and snare playing at different times (with them, combined, playing nearly constantly) is flooding your other high frequencies. Where they sit in the mix is ok now, but if you decide not to change the rhythm up a bit, it might be good to selectively cut some frequencies to let the higher instruments breath a bit better.

The 'Ooh Ooh's are probably where you could use the most improvement. Again, in terms of composition the idea is good, but they could be executed a bit better. Might be worth some experimentation- whatever you have going on is pretty subtle (whether it's a slight reverb or delay). It might be good to have a tape/ping pong delay, a bit more of an FX type reverb, or some other type of effect going on. It just sounds it a bit bland to have the 'Ooh's as naked as they are at the moment.

A solid, colorful compressor driven to taste might do wonders for the track overall (I like The Glue).

Again, you've got a pretty good foundation here, and I definitely enjoyed it overall. :wink:

4. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Cheers for the feedback dude, much appreciated

That's one thing i can't seem to get my head around is the science or the 'black art' of professional mixing

I've got no real technique to how i work it's all pretty much trial and error with me, but i have picked up some valuable tips and trick from the folks on the forum

I'd love to understand the science behind it all, ie: 2:1 compression ratio, shelve eqing and things like that, it all goes over my head

Same with music theory I'd love to be able to read/score but i just haven't got the mind for it, i just like to get in there and get my hands dirty

My way of thinking behind it is get it the best i can, then if anything ever comes of any of the songs i write, I'd leave it to a professional to mix/master and just chip in with some ideas but leave the bulk of it to the pro's, they know what they're doing, i don't

Thanks for your feedback man