(SOLVED)Question about multiple .rar extractions (Omnisphere)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pnitty1212, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

HELP! I have a session later on tonight, and i wasnt anticipating to be extracting and arranging files for this amount of time. l am trying to download r2r's/dynamics version of Omnisphere 2 -- i am some what new to downloading big compressed files like this, and even though my instinct is telling me one thing, i have spent so much time following directions to a tee today, i am afraid to do anything different - i feel as if it might mess up all the things i have done so far.

Here is my problem: omnisphere 2 comes with 8 different installation iso's.. each disk has 6-8 parts that need to be extracted. When i extract part 1 of disk 1, I see a pdf of that gives me special instructions. Then, when I install the .rar extension in part 2 of disk one, a folder is extracted labeled step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4. (installation, and three other folders pop out). Then, i extract part 3 of disk 1, and out comes the exact same files that were extracted in part 2.. my instinct then tells me, I can move on to disk 2, because it is going to keep extracting the smae information over and over again.. and with each extraction it is using up 8 more gb of my hard driver space. I ask my friend what he thinks, and he insists that every single .rar file on every disk needs to be extracted.. It didn't matter that identical files and iso images were showing up. I ask another friend, and he thought my instinct was correct.. i decided to download part 4 of disk 1, and if another set up duplicate installer files appear, it would be an indication that it has extracted what it needed to create the first iso disk..

Now I am wondering if I can go back and delete the .rar's that have extracted the iso's that i need to mount; because i am only on disk 3, and the folder i am extracting inside is over 200 gb. I just feel as if the people or person that created the compressed files would have mentioned that you would need much much more space than what was needed to download.. I would love it if someone told me that I could just get rid of the files as soon as they extract -- my friend INSISTED that I couldn't do this.

Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do from here? On disk 4 with only 10 gb of hardware space left.. smh

Thanks

3. Tsargoth

Tsargoth Kapellmeister

You're friend is very badly mistaken. I always delete the .rar files as soon as they have been extracted. Have been doing it that way for many years and never ran into an issue yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I hope you have the Proper (fixed) Disc 1, or it's not going to work anyway.

And yes, once fully extracted, you dont need the RAR files whatsoever.

Furthermore.. it's usually best not to listen to friends.. invariably they are usually more wrong than right.

Sorta like reading things on teh interwebs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

Thank you guys -- next time i will listen to my instinct.. shrugs.. But now i know for sure..

6. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

Before I go to sleep, just want to give you guys an update ... I have omnisohere mounted on the desktop (8 Isos)... When I load the package installer it says, "can't find steam folder", but then quickly goes to the next step -loading data folder ... Its saying loading data (null) ... Then it warns that it could take up to three hours and that the status bar moves very slowly at first .. When I look at the status bar, it is solid blue... I'm wondering if my disk 1 is bad . If it were a bad disk, at which point in the installation process would I know ? Now? After it installs? Or, will it just be stuck how it is now?

Also, I'm wondering about how the hard drive space is working... Each Iso file is about 7 gigs .. It says it only needs 280 mb for installation ..I was hoping my 7 gb will be enough just to get the app and patches in, and then I can move it to my external ... What do you guys think ?

(Side note:

7. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

Side note : I did a good amount of reading different forums and heard all the Omni sphere horror stories .., swore it wasn't going to happen to me - here I am 15 hours later .. Lol smh

8. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Best Answer
    When your installing it you have to manually locate the steam folder yourself if i remember the install correctly..
    Btw id advise against trying to move the installation after the install..
    Install it to where you want it to stay becuase you could end up with omnisphere not reading the steam folder correctly if you do it the other way round as i first did....

9. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

That's indeed a "headache" with most releases by Teams...they pack and re-pack their shares in too many archives,
    then when you extract them you end up with dozens & hundreds of files and folders eating up your space! :snuffy:

Multiple extractions require patience. You have to look good what's been extracted and some un-archivers don't
    work well. After extraction i always trash the annoying scene releases just to keep my own formatted archives.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

This newbie question has been answered by the good brothers above me .. THANK YOU guys!

11. Pnitty1212

Pnitty1212 Newbie

I kjnow this thread is supposed to be more about extractions than mounting steam folders -- however, choosing manual destination instead of default after opening the iso, and pulling it into an omnisphere folder that i set up, has got my installer going (stand by -- i will edit later if wrong).. thanks again guys