[SOLVED] Omnisphere 2.6 (The Pirate) STEAM permissions in OSX Catalina

Discussion in 'Omnisphere' started by Luuk van Beers, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luuk van Beers

Luuk van Beers Newbie

I've searched near and far for a solution for my Omnisphere 2.6 (The Pirate) installation issue on OSX Catalina on a 16" MBP. Where other post have similar problems these have not helped me solve my problem.

At this point I have extracted the ISO including the full 83GB Spectracsonics folder to my boot disk and have created a shortcut to the appropriate location. I have installed the Omnisphere Software Update sucesfully. I have successfully patched the VST and AU files on a Windows system and replaced them back to the plugins folder. When I start Omnisphere for STEP 6(a) I get a very short black screen when the following messages appear:

1. The STEAM folder does not have write permission. Change permissions on STEAM folder, and all STEAM subfolders, to include Write acces.
    2. STEAM folder is not writable.

Obviously the fist thing I checked the permissions and changed them to read and write to admin, myself and everyone including subfolders as seen in the attached file. Restarted Omnisphere and got the same messages. Restarted computer, same messages. Disabled CSRUTIL, same messages. Tried BatChmod to enable all permissions, no effect. FireVault is off, Firewall is off...

After two frustrating days I am sort of out of ideas what to try next. Is this version even possible on Catalina?

Thanks in advance!

3. Luuk van Beers

Luuk van Beers Newbie

Solved it and finally got it working on Catalina! The instructions I got are windows based so the mac folders are not specified. That is why I had to guess where to place the extracted ISO.

The actual ISO containing the Spectrasonics folder, should you install the full libary on your boot disk, should be extracted to:
    /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support.

For mac I only needed to PATCH these two "Omnisphere" files in the following folders:

1. VST: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Omnisphere.vst/Contents/MacOS
    2. AU: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Omnisphere.component/Contents/MacOS

Using the patcher on the same file within the App contents fails and apparently isn't necessary.

Next, a restart is necessary for Catalina to load the .component properly.

Black screen upon opening Omnisphere the first time last much longer as described in the instructions and Omnisphere loads properly now.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.