[Solved] MPC Studio Software 2 - Host Automation? - Better workflow for building loops and fills

Discussion in 'Software' started by Swatch, Dec 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

Hi together,

does anyone use the MPC Studio 2 Software as VST Plugin?

I love the MPC stuff, but i cannot automate anything in the DAW. Tested Cubase and Live with MPC 2.10.

I love the resampling and stretching quality from MPC. Manipulating loops and samples sounds really good with the MPC Engine. (Cutoff filter for example in the program edit)

Alternatives are Maschine 2 (Bad stretching quality and bugs with automations "n/a")
    And ADSR Drum machine (Testing now)

I´m using Cubase and want a better workflow for samples and creating loops and fills.
    Maybe anyone knows a good alternative VST to create own loops and fills fast?

Thank you :)

EDIT:
    Damn, i´m really impressed from the ADSR:

Just created a very good fill.
    Like in the video you can create a seperate pattern from a single pad with different rhytm, swing, note repeats.
    Easy multi output in the DAW Mixer.
    And every parameter can be automated.
    Fastest sample browser i´ve ever seen. (replace samples directly)
    Really cool.

But at the end, i still want to know if i can automate MPC2 in DAW :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Have you done something similar to what is done in the following video? 4:58 to 9:37.
    Do not have Cubase/Nuendo & MPC Software installed at this time.Need to grab new Root Certificate & Silk Emulator.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

Don't you like Steinberg Backbone? I thought it was supposed to be like a Logic Drum Machine Designer equivalent?

5. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

Thanks Quadcore and Clone for the Feedback :)

@quadcore64 - Yes, but Cubase does not recognize the parameters from MPC Plugin. In Ableton its the same problem. It only recognize bypass and Sidechain On/off :D

@clone - I watched some videos, and i think that backbone is really good for creating drums, synthesizing and manipulating drums.
    But i´m searching for a fast flow, building loops and fills and maybe some note repeats.

I just found XO from XLN. I saw a few videos, where you can create loops with it too.

But i will play more with ADSR and try to get into it. --) Very fast workflow here. Drag and drop midi out, multi Mixer output.
    I can even change the time signature of the whole sequence or pattern or single drum and drag and drop it out in the daw.
    So i can build my own fill with snares which are getting faster for example.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am using Falcon Drum Designer for all this now mostly. And Logic Sampler/DMD. Once you have your MIDI done it doesn't really matter what sampler you use. Falcon, Kontakt, SpeedDrum, AD2/SD2, wherever you want it to go. You just gotta get it to midi first.

7. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

The Logic Drum designer was really good. I liked it in my OSX Time :)

I tested the UVi Drum designer a few months ago. I didnt like it very much. I even cannot say why.

I think i found my 3 candidates:
    MPC
    ADSR
    XO by XLN

i will stay with them !! :)
    OX looks promising to get a goot starting point and shuffling your samples.
    ADSR looks good to build own loops and buildups and fills.

but if anyone knows, how to automate MPC Studio in a DAW, you would be a hero ;D

Thank you again clone for your input :)

Now i need to sleep :D
    Bye

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Strange nobody mentioned TAL-Drum. I use it extensively and sometimes Speedrum, but with time TAL-Drum grew on me a bit more. Both are easy and fast to work with.

9. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

A really good way to figure out your Host Automation problem is to put the channel into read/write or Latch mod, and move some random parameters around in value. It will record the bogus data but it will also show you what is being recorded per CC#.

since you are after fills and variations, this is a trick I use that will work in any daw you can stick a Transposer Plugin into. Logic comes with one, but I am sure you can find a slider style Transposer, which then intercepts/takes the midi from the piano roll; and alters what midi notes end up hitting the actual VSTi Sampler style plugin. This works with any drum kit you make, as long as you have sounds on each keyno te. If you set the DAW to Latch Automation on the channel with the inserted Midi Transposer, you can automate it. It works like a crossfader, so it's like beat juggling effect.

[​IMG]

this trick also works like this: :woot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  11. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

@clone Thanks for the tip with scratch machine. I have to try this.
    And you made me missing Logic :D
    It has the most creative integrated midi tool. I love the arpgeggiator.

Currently i´m working on a project in cubase with exported midi from Logic arpeggiator :)

@Soul1975 The video shows how to automate VSTs IN MPC as Host.
    But i want to automate MPC Plugin from my Cubase as Host.

I think i have to search a little bit more:
    https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1842255

This is a small trace for my solution :D

But anyway...
    I got really cool Results with XO yesterday.
    I think i´m on a really good way.

PS: Cubase was my first daw, when i was ~17 (now 35)
    I love the arranger windows and the mixer.
    It fits to me.
    So i want to find my Tools to use Cubase as arranger and mixing platform and be creative with third party.
    Because i dont like the Cubase native midi tools so much.

Have a great day together :)

12. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

Holymoly, that was not easy...

There is really a own midi Learn Button --) On the bottom buttons right. The second one. Right from the info button
    Then Global Midi Mapping. And than i chosed Akai MPK MKII (Plugin) as Midi Mapping.

Then you have to do 2 things:
    Learn the Q-Link knobs from MPC with the internal parameter you want to control.
    Then on the Midi Mapping on the right site you can see "data" --) This is the CC From Cubase Quickcontrol. In this Case it was 5.
    Then you can automate the Q-Link paramaters in Cubase.
    You can Map the Quickcontrol in Cubase to a hardware Controller knob easily.

Automations will be written in Cubase and read from MPC :)

So now i will Start to build a Multi out Template and save it as Project. So i can import it in another projects.

Huge learning curve, but i think it will be good :)

[​IMG]

13. Swatch

Swatch Kapellmeister

Just a small and the last Update here.

Found the workflow which fits me complete:

XO + ADSR Drum machine
    Cubase Sampler :D

Just found out, that the Cubase sampler in split/Splice mode, preserves the transients of a loop better than MPC and less work.

/Can be closed.

bye :)