[solved] How to connect amplifier to E-mu 0404 USB

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Undisputted, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Hey guys,

I have E-mu 0404 USB and Onkyo Integra A-8650 amplifier, now is the question - how can I connect this two devices? Which cabels I need to buy? 2x RCA chinch - 2x RCA chinch or RCA - Jack? S/PDIF out, in or Jack outputs?
    Someone told me that I have to get 2x RCA chinch - 2x RCA chinch for that, but I don't know now. I need to set my amplifier with E-mu because of the monitors.

Thanks.

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Undisputted,

If I well understand your request, the main reason of your connection's need is to 'feed' your Monitors.

Firstly, you must to determine if your Monitors are 'Active' or 'Passive'. This point is not only essential to know, but also important for the following of the operation.
    Effectively, if your Monitors are 'active', you don't need to amplify them in any way, as they already have an included amplification, hence the name of 'Active'.
    If your Monitors are 'passive' (like are the vast majority of the 'Hi Fi Speakers'), in this case you need to amplify them with an external gear as your 'Onkyo Integra A-8650'.
    Don't be 'foolish' by the term 'Monitor', because in some cases, and even if it's rather not common, some 'Studio Monitors' are 'passive'...

In the case of 'active' Monitors, they use in the majority of the case, 'jack' connections, hence the problem that arises when trying to connect them to a 'regular' Hi Fi Amp (that by essence, provides you only 'Cinch or RCA' connections). In this case, all you have to do is to simply connect the 'Output' of your audio card directly to the Monitors themselves with the help of 'jack' cables (some models of 'Studio Monitors' provide you 'XLR Connections', but I don't think that's your case).
    If your Amp (Onkyo... ) is a 'regular' HiFi Amp, in this case, you need to first connect the 'Output' of your audio card to it with the specific cables, then from your Amp, to your 'Speakers' (if these are 'passive' --> Hi Fi Speakers type or passive 'Studio Monitors').

It exists very cheap adapters that can greatly help you with all this kind of connections. Here you have an example :

[​IMG]
    Of course, you need to have 2 adapters to process all your audio stuff in Stereo (Left + Right) !

Hope it help ! :wink:

4. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Yeah my studio monitors are passive, forget to write this important information and I need to connect E-mu with amplifier for monitors. You gave me example what I thought to do, thank you very much. I don't knew that, because someone told me that I can do the same with S/PDIF :wink:

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Undisputted,

This is possible to do it, but solely between your Audio Card and your Amp, if both possess this possibility. By cons, and at my knowledge, it still doesn't exist 'Studio Monitors' or even 'Hi Fi Speakers' that have S/PDIF connections, so it will not be possible... at least in 2012 ! :rofl:
    The future and new technologies will let us know ! *yes*

6. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Yeah, I mean connection between Audio Card - Amp, not S/PDIF in studio monitors :) So, my Audio Card - Amp have this S/PDIF connection possibility?

7. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Undisputted,

*no* Unfortunately not ! :sad:

[​IMG]

Here you have all the possible connections provided by your 'E-MU 0404 USB' (external Audio Card & MIDI Interface).

As your 'Onkyo Integra A-8650 amplifier' is a 'regular' one with usual 'Cinch or RCA' connections, simply follow the previous written instructions (or your own first 'thoughts'), and all should be OK ! *yes* :wink:

8. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

By the way, this cables will be good I think? That's PROEL 2x RCA - 2x MONO JACK
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much!

9. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Undisputted,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're right !!! :wink:

I don't know why I've only got one side of this 'E-MU 0404 USB' when I've searched within Google... :snuffy: Maybe I might to have done a 'deeper' search... *yes*
    Thus, in this case... YES, your E-MU 0404 USB has S/PDIF support, you even have 2 different possibilities of connections : either by S/PDIF specific cables, or by Optical cables (those below whose you have circled in Red).

Anyway, because your Amp doesn't possess S/PDIF connections, you must to make 'standard' connections to get all your audio stuff as desired...

10. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Undisputted,

The depicted cables are perfect for what you're looking for ! Moreover, they seem to be of great quality. *yes* :wink:

You're now ready to 'rock' !!! :rofl: :mates: