[SOLVED] Focusrite Liquid Mix working on Windows 10 x64

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, May 9, 2016.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've got two little tips for you:
    1) forget about Windows 10 and use W7 because FW driver in W10 is screwed. Even in W7 you may have to use the FW legacy driver from XP. FW and SCSI works best in XP. Newer is not always better. :sad:
    2) Always buy TI chipset Firewire cards. These will make you a happy camper, I guarantee you that. :wink:

Cheers! :headbang:

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Not true. My solution on previous page work on Windows 10 and I have also tested it with TI and VIA chipsets.

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

All I said is based on my experience with RME and TC Electronic FW interfaces. I stick to those rules and never have to worry about having problems with FW. Yeah, you can probably solve any problem somehow even when using other OSes and FW chipsets, but I don't like wasting any time on shit like that. There are better things to waste your time on. :wink:

4. MargeryMusic

MargeryMusic Noisemaker

Idk what chipset I have but Bunford's solution worked for me. I've mixed 2 songs already using the LM on Windows 10 64bit and Reaper 5. No problems at all. Might I add that my FireWire port is built into the motherboard. It's the mini 400 pin. Bought a 400 pin to 600 pin cable to use with the LM. I don't look at it as a waste of time if it worked. A lot of my software is not supported in earlier OSes so I couldn't go back to W7. SineWave I see your point but to call it a waste of time is not really true. To each its own.

5. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

Thats a great share Bunford :) I had to go through a similar thing to get an old scsi card linked my old yamaha a4000 working in win 10 x64, i think you can get pretty much get any software that runs in win 7 to work in win 10. Its just a pain with the new way they handle the driver signing and also how windows doesnt auto find your drivers. Either way great post :)

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

My point is that my solution always works, and yours is just a luck of the draw. :winker: I am a computer technician as well as musician and I don't like to lose time on things that may or may not work. In your case you were lucky. In many other cases it won't work and in a good number of cases you can't do anything but change the FW card or change the OS. What I said can save a lot of people from having troubles and troubleshooting, losing time on things you don't like to lose your time on. You being lucky is giving them hope that the FW card doesn't matter and that the OS doesn't matter, but it does. :sad: It's not just the chipset that matters, but the build quality of the card. If you google it a bit you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, good for you that it works! :wink: You can still get problems down the road, while working with the FW interface.

Good luck! Even though it seems like I don't have to say that. :hahaha:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Not true. Focusrite Liquid Mix is not officially supported on Windows 10, hence the need for the workaround solution. Like @MargeryMusic stated, new software releases will always be developed for the current OS so there will be software developed for Windows 10 (as it's now 2+ years since dev release) that will not be compatible/optimised for Windows 7. Therefore, you will still have issues, just needing different workarounds, which may be impossible if they utilise a feature in Windows 10 that's impossible to install on earlier Windows.

I agree that TI chipset are superior and more reliable, but the solution I found works with any chipset, so there is no specific need to buy an expensive TI card if your motherboard has an internal VIA chipset, for example.

My solution works on current OS with no need for financial investment. Your solution relies on staying on an outdated OS and investing in usually pricey TI chipsets. Can't see why yours is better to be honest, just different.

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I am really bad at arguing with people and I really don't have time to beat the dead horse, and I would never do that anyway. :hahaha:

I am a computer technician for the studios around with a couple of decades of experience, hmmm... so let's just leave it up to the people to decide what to do. I really don't care since I don't make any money if someone uses a particular FW card or particular OS. Also, my experience with Focusrite interfaces are very limited [just a couple of installations] and so far have been absolutely smooth regardless of the chipset. :wink: TC Electronic interfaces are more picky and RME Fireface interfaces also.

Focusrite interfaces came a bit later so that might be a factor. I'm really glad to hear that they work even with a cheap onboard ViA FW [Asus? or maybe Gigabyte?] because there are some nice Focusrite Saffire Liquid interfaces on eBay for a very good price lately! :wink:

My personal PC has an onboard TI chipset that works with TC Electronic without any problems. However, in one other studio a guy has an onboard TI chipset and a different motherboard that doesn't work properly with it, so we had to add a TI FW card [Canopus] in his computer and disable the onboard FW.

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Having just updated my system to the latest Windows 10 build, the Creators Update, I have tested this and updated the instructions here.

10. Sam Horam

Sam Horam Newbie

It works! Thanks very much for the very thorough and clear instructions. Massive appreciation for spending the time to do this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Klausen

Klausen Newbie

Thank you very much Bundford! It really works I gave up on my Liquid Mix several years ago, but I Never forgot about it and kept on hoping that someone, one day, would come up with a solution! So Big thanks to you ❤️

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. riff

riff Newbie

Heartfelt thanks for the time and effort you put into investigating this and publishing such complete instructions. My LM was in the bin a year ago but I got it out to use as a doorstop or piece of tech art. It's now hooked up to my desktop and working a treat. Brilliant.

Huge thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Matt Goodchild

Matt Goodchild Newbie

Just another bump.... My Win10x64 recently 'seemed' to get its update and in the process changed the computer name/id which affected a few plugins, LM included (Rob Papen plugs thought i didnt register the plugins even though i did, and XLN Audio thought the computer also wasnt registered so had to fix those).

The solution posted works fully. I had issues with Fw card evem though i had installed the 1394 legacy driver on win10 before and had it working prior to recent update. I think the win10 update marked unsigned drivers or something because going in win10 standard way and not disabling signoff method wont let you install the LM fully. You might get poradic LM showing up (or not in some cases), unless you go through the whole process to 'overwrite' the os setup again.

TL:DR; follow solutiom to the letter and your LM will appear. Jbridge the plugins if your daw is 64bit only (Cubase 9.5pro here)

14. Zergei72

Zergei72 Newbie

I've got my LiquidMix working following the guides here, but somehow the device constantly keeps disconnecting and the plugins crash in REAPER v5.965 x64 . Any more tips ?

- Zergei -

15. Zergei72

Zergei72 Newbie

Done everything told here, by the solved part .

Can't get through the setup process ; OS won't detect the HW correctly and clicking on next won't make the setup go any further .
    In device manager it's shown with a yellow exclamation mark and when I try to install the HW manually I get something about some missing, "hash" .

I have a PreSonus FIRESTUDIO Project also connected to the same computer through a 2 port PCI firewire card and it works flawlessly .
    I don't have a power "adapter" for the Liquid Mix - HW ... Should I have ?

I know this solution works, for I've set up my Liquid Mix - HW succesfully earlier on this same PC, but now something's not quite there . ():

Please some Help here,
    ASAP ...

- Zergei -

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Sorry, I cannot go any further than my very detailed guide. I also have a MOTU 828 MK2 FireWire connected to my PC too, so similar setup to yourself, and all works fine following the guide.

17. comsat

comsat Newbie

Hey Bunford, I just want to send props your way.
    I got my LiquidMix out of storage to try on Win 10. Found this thread, followed your instructions, and it worked first try!
    Not a single issue. Since I have a more powerful computer these days it actually feels like it works better than ever.
    Couldn't be happier. Thank you kindly!

18. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

19. Gareth Bellamy

Gareth Bellamy Newbie

thank you so much for the research and work gone into find the workflow, really appreciated, fully working on a texas chip older FW card. for ableton live 10 users, make sure you run abletone live as administer otherwise you'll get a white interface when wrapping with jbridge aux, otherwise works perfectly

20. Philmarie

Philmarie Newbie

Impeccable. Inespéré ! Immense merci à vous. Depuis des années, j'avais laissé mon LM de côté. Et puis un jour... ce post.
    Immense merci !!!!