(solved) Budget Preamp Best Quality?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by phloopy, Aug 20, 2016.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi

I need some advice regarding Preamps on a budget!

Best quality - lowest cost :)

I´ve heard a lot of good things about the Presonus Digimax D8.

Anyone here with some experience?

Cheers

3. shomyca

shomyca Producer

golden age pre 73 - neve copy, super value

4. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

I have this one, and I think it's aweful. It was recommended to me by a friend when I was looking for a preamp for my Neumann. I really don't understand why people love this thing so much.

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

Well... :deep_facepalm: Best quality... normally, you should pay for that 'Best Quality', isn't ? And above all, in the Audio Area...

Secondly, how many 'Preamps' (Inputs) you'll need for your wish Preamp Rack ?
    Do you mention 'Presonus Digimax D8' which possesses 8 Preamps (8 Inputs which can be used simultaneously).

As wisely adviced by 'Shomyca', 'Golden Age Pre 73' could be an excellent choice... but you'll get only 3 Inputs (one in front : 'DI IN', 'Line' & 'Mic' on rear), and I'm not sure if you can use these 3 Inputs at the same time... :dunno:

And for which (exclusively) use ? Vocals, Instruments, Guitars, Basses,... :dunno:

Depending the desired use, you can find several Models which are more specifically done for a particular use...

6. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

ART has been good to me. No problems with my MPA II. Built solid. Here is a link to some of their other products. Never had any problem with my Presonus stuff either, and their customer support is very good. Try their jambalaya recipe. http://www.sweetwater.com/c661--ART--Preamps_and_Channel_Strips My top of the line choice if I could afford it?-Universal Audio LA-2A

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Let me buy it cheap from you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I have the D8 from Presonus. Neat sounding (even boringly sterile), very low noise floor, lots of input headroom, and a decent clock. It even has analog alternative outputs so it can be patched to line inputs of interfaces without ADAT. The LEDs relate well to clipping by my ear. For me, the only downside is that the knobs don't feel very sturdy, but if you are careful (like you should with anything audio related) there should be no problem. I've had mine for a few years and I've recorded lots of drum kits with it. It's the best bang for the buck if you ask me. I don't use it that much anymore, but it's there to save the day if needed.

9. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

because of the color.
    maybe you should look at it differently and use the line input (obviously you need to have gain in front of it)
    but still it's mic pre circuit is actually where it's original version was known about

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  10. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

Maybe here you can find it, not necessarily 'for cheap' (I don't know your sense of the 'cheapness' :rofl:), but at a fairly price as a 'second hand' :

[​IMG]

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/preampli...t/pre-73-mkii/petites-annonces/i.1117398.html
    200 Euros and it's the 'MKII' !!! (Hey, hey,... :rofl:)

Translation :

Acheté neuf chez Thomann le 08.08.2014.
    Buy as new in 'Thomann' (August 8, 2014).
    Préamp mono, 2 entrées XLR/TRS, deux sorties XLR et ligne. Une entrée haute impédance en façade. Largement inspiré du NEVE 1073.
    Mono Preamp, 2 XLR/TRS Inputs, 2 Outputs (XLR & Line). A Hi-Z Input in front. Widely inspired by 'NEVE 1073'.
    En parfait état de fonctionnement, une rayure sur le dessus (voir photo).
    Perfectly functioning, a little scratch above (see picture).
    Très peu servi.
    Rarely used.
    Quasi neuf.
    Almost new.

Remise en main propre ou envoi par la poste aux frais de l'acheteur.
    Can be sent by Post (parcel), shipping costs at the charge of the buyer.
    Prix ferme.
    Price no negotiable.

Or directly in your 'beloved' country... but as new :

http://goldenagemusic.mamutweb.com/Shop/Product/Golden-Age-Project-PRE-73-MKII/1083010

SEK 2 995 (incl. VAT) ~ 315 Euros

11. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

It's a compressor... Actually, it's one of the most legendary compressors in existence. No, a compressor is not a preamp. :bash:

12. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

For the anectode, not even a 'Compressor' in its original form :

Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier

By cons you're right that it was during its legendary story used, most of the time, as a 'Compressor' by countless Audio/Sound Engineers. :yes: :wink:

For Info :

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/compressor-vs-leveler/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/differences-between-compressor-limiter-leveler/

And it could be see, in some sense, as an (mini) 'Amplifier' (not a 'Power Amp', of course ! :rofl:)

13. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

I actually put it up for sale earlier because the thread reminded me I had one. Was offered 1000 DKK so far. Match the price including shipment and it's yours. Might not be worth it depending on where you live though :)

What I don't like is how it makes me sound. I have a kind of nasal voice, and for some reason it enhances it. It might not even be the preamp itself, but just the combination of the Neumann 102 and this particular preamp together. I don't know, I've been using the Universal Audio LA-610 for the past 7 or so months and it works great for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  14. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Where are you? Are you looking specifically for 8+ inputs? What kind of output do you need (analog, USB, Thunderbolt, FireWire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF coaxial, TOSlink)? Are you willing and able to consider used gear where you are? More info will help people point you in the right direction.

15. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Yeah, that'd still qualify as a compressor though - just like a filter can be generalized to be a simpler EQ. Imagine plugin categories without that kind of arrangement. Still, a preamp is not a compressor and I don't see a way to fit that in.

16. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Have heard the golden age pre has too much noise, or "noise floor." Have seen some mods that take on
    the problem so it may be correctable. Involves some destructive work to the circuitboard.. so iffy.

The MPA's generally get good reviews, but as usual people want to mod them and upgrade the tubes.
    I snagged a used MPA Pro II for $150. They are popular still so they go for more on ebay, wait if you can, and check around.

Anyone ever use the Joemeek PreQ, or Warm Audio's WA -12 ?

I saw somewhere @superliquidsunshine has some of that gear.. maybe he can weigh in :winker:

the golden age sounds brighter to me, but also has a little "fizz" , the WA-12 just nails.. well.. "warm"​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  17. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Look at this company for some tube amp options :

http://www.dizengoffaudio.com/#intro-section

Check out the ISA ONE by focusrite.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-I...677285?hash=item3601dfc965:g:O5MAAOSwMtxXq9uT

Tonebeast by Warm Audio (the most versatile on this list) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warm-Audio-...695988?hash=item465362d234:g:sBgAAOSw5HJXK9S9

Black Lion Audio's take on a 1073 preamp :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BLA-Bla...236059?hash=item4b02114f5b:g:dPYAAMXQlgtS-pE5

DAV BG1 Stereo pair - (for clean)

http://www.davelectronics.com/bg1.htm

Best Deal (used) - Presonus ADL 600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Presonus-AD...071833?hash=item2a6eb65e19:g:cmMAAOSw7XZXhl6A

18. recycle

recycle Guest

A good list, I will append here also Joemeek and FMR Audio
    My advice for a preamp is: Dont buy anything below $500 (new)

19. sacredl

sacredl Member

If you're wiling to listen to advice, which is totally the opposite, I think boutique, analog preamps are a waste of time. What really matters and should be most important are clean pres with lots of gain headroom for mics like SM7B - nothing more. You'll find these in any higher tier interface. I presume you've got a cheaper interface like Scarlett/Saffire or Steinberg UR (though those are exceptional for their price). The real difference would make something like Audient or any cheaper RME. Killer pres, at least 60db gain with low noise at high levels and additionally you get high quality converters.

You can always colour any signal with VSTs and there is a ton of them right now, because of the whole analogue-sounding VSTs fashion. However, you can never clean up the signal.

Not to mention any quality preamp which would make a real difference is certainly not cheap. Even worse, if you've got a cheaper interface, 99% of them (except Audient) don't bypass the preamp circuit even if you use rear 1/4 line inputs, so effectively that'll be probably staging 2 preamp sections.

In the end, if you've got cash to burn and your interface has got enough gain for stuff like SM7B, you'll get a lot more sound possibilities by buying another mic.

20. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Be careful with the FMR RNP stereo preamp. It is unbalanced, unless you get the 500 series units. The outboard FMR stuff is a nightmare to use in a balanced environment, imho. Of course, the Radial EXTC SA, or direct boxes will solve the issue, but that means more unnecessary cabling for simple tasks.

*edit* I just glanced over your original post. Get an ISA ONE. It's a swiss army knife, and tracks stack well with it, and it's got a Lundahl L1538 input tranny.

21. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

Art Tube MP + Acustica Audio Nebula + Every serious preamp simulation for Nebula

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016