(solved) AKAI MPK61 - Could I get some reviews out here?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by phloopy, Aug 26, 2016.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Any out here who has some experience with this midi keyboard - good or bad - appriciated!

Thanks in advance

Cheers

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Nice, I wish this was out when I bought my old axiom 61. My friend has the 49 version of the MPK that he bought for 100USD used. The usb jack has come off the board and needs to be resoldered. He uses the midi out with a midi to usb dongle/adapter instead. I try to talk him into giving to me everytime I see him.

4. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Keys are springy. It's as if the keys are fighting your fingers back to neutral. Pads are stiff and not too responsive. Look into their newer stuff. The 261 is better.

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Would you you pay 196 US for it brand new? 61 keys of course?

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I have no use for the pads at all, so thats no issiue .... Im used to play real pianos, so I guess "It's as if the keys are fighting your fingers back to neutral" will suit me well!

7. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

LOL DEFINTELY not in a graded hammer action kinda way. It's a feel. Like anything, you'll get used to it overtime.....or sell it like I did.

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks DJ .... sounds like it´s a challenge to play basically!

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Best Answer
    I have one, and have used it for years, it is semi-waited... The feel is something you either like or not, I tend to play both piano and synthy stuff, so it seemed to me at the time as a good middle ground... the knobs and faders are very easy to map in ableton or whatnot, so that is good. The pads are nothing to write home about (no mpc60 etc, but it's retry easy to put cork or painters tape underneath to get a better "feel"... I have never had any problems with it at all... it's probably a little long in the tooth now (I have had it for 5 years).... and would probably rather have one of the new NI boards etc... but if you can get one for cheap, sure... I mean, I use it everyday... not the best, not the worst... inputs for expression pedal and sustain etc... 5pin din for routing to other older midi instruments... quite easy to set up with template for ableton/reason/logic etc...

no holy grail, but a completely acceptable controller keyboard, is pretty light, but feels pretty solid on my desk, and really nice having 5 octaves for both piano playing and triggering different Kontakt articulations etc...

10. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

@sisyphus
    Thanks for your solid reply :like:
    I actually had it here for 18 hours and I desided to return it to the shop! I simply cannot get used to those keys that gives me an od feeling and stop me from playing anything fast! I also see they stopped producing it soon after it came out and replaced it with a new one with a total different set of keys!

Cheers

11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have a mpk2-61.. It pretty good for me. The only down side is that there is no setup for reaper like Cubase and the feel of the keyboard is not like my D-50 it's more like a D-20. The Generic Patch does control Reaper pretty good just not all the functions. and the pads are really cool.

Also I want to thank the real Keyboard players that gave me feedback before I purchased it.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. usernone

usernone Producer

I owned the MPK49 a few years back. My wife broke one of the keys just by gently brushing up against the unit. Upon inspection, i noticed how cheap and flimsy they keys are connected to the inside of the unit. I fixed it up with some glue, and sold it. (the buyer was aware of what happened FYI)

I have been using my Poly Evolver as a controller ever since, but am considering something else to prevent me from having to turn on the PE every single time I work. Having said that, I likely will not choose an Akai product. Despite the fact that the body feels like its built like a tank, the keys are simply way to cheaply secured into the unit.

13. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

It had issues with the pads response the MPK2-61 was the replacement. Also the Keyboard bed is different on the newer model. They say it's better than the original one but to me it's not my D-50. I am kind of biased to it even though I am a guitar player and not a Keyboard player.
    The D-50 just feels real good like a good guitar.

14. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i bought the mpk 49 for my friend I set up as a starter rig, amazing usability/adaptability/driver wise. but like the others have noted its keys are too springy and pads too stiff. it a good all-in one

but I totally agree with folks who say get separate hardwares for those, if you can afford it. that d50 is a real nice keyboard midi man.

im presently running an old pcr-800 and an apc40mkII. I want to add a midi fighter. I would love a nice keyboard like a d50 :wink:
    we are always on the quest for great hardware

15. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

The mpk-61 is not bad I would opt for the mpk-261. Yes the D-50 is great in sounds 80ish and keyboard feel. Now If I could just play keyboards better that would make me feel better. LOL

16. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

@phloopy So what keyboard did you get after you returned the mpk61 ?
    i was aiming to buy it myself but after reading this thread im surely not going to.

i recently bought a arturia 49something keyboard. I can not recommend it. It was only the frame that was a nice build the rest was realy awefull/crappy!

any recommenations ?

17. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

@reliefsan
    I had an old one that I Im still using. It´s E-MU Longboard also with 61 keys. Im still looking for something new and I think my choice will be NI Komplete with 61 keys................. 699,00 €, so I´ll have to save up for some time I guess :yes::yes: