Solid State Logic UF8 Advanced DAW Controller $1299

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by The Pirate, Feb 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

The culmination of 40 years of mastering studio ergonomics experience, the new Solid State Logic UF8 controller delivers a new level of user focused design; insightful displays, intelligent fader and control access and function, multiple stand angles for user defined placement, and a production workflow enhancing control layout. The high-spec touch sensitive faders, encoders, and high-resolution colour displays, compliment the premium build quality that belie this new price point for an SSL controller.

Expandable to a 32 channel control surface with integration for all major DAW platforms, UF8 is ideally suited to music creation, production and mixing, post production and webcasting. The new SSL 360° control software manages multi-controller configurations, customised user keys, and DAW switching across multiple layers, allowing for seamless switching between numerous sessions

UF8_angle_1500_wide.0acf02c58d69c89a7009de64554ee275.png
    https://www.solidstatelogic.com/media/uf8-advanced-studio-daw-controller

UF8 Features:

• High-Quality 100 mm Touch Sensitive Faders
    • High-Resolution Colour Displays
    • 8 Endless Rotary Encoders
    • Custom Workflows
    • Intelligent Multi-Purpose CHANNEL Encoder
    • Mouse Scroll Emulation
    • Integrates With All Major DAWs
    • Switch Control Between 3 Simultaneously Connected DAWs
    • Powered by the SSL 360° Mac/PC Application
    • Expandable System
    • Includes SSL Native Vocalstrip 2 & Drumstrip plug-ins

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. tnc

tnc Producer

I'm not impressed.. Very weak that it doesn't have full featured knobs for EQ, Comp etc. Very overpriced for what you actually get!

I have Console 1 + BCF2000 with motorized faders. Cost me €500 in total and I get much more functionality, more knobs and direct access to things.......

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

sweet, at 4 units joined, combining 32 motorized faders, it costs about as much as AVID S3 with only 16 motorized faders,

personally I don't make use of my single-fader FaderPort classic, so I'm not the target audience/userbase for such product though

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

She pretty, veeeery pretty, but that’s a lot of cash!

7. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I'll wait for the Behringer BCR 32.
    It doubles as a mega-sequencer and costs $149 :thumbsup:

8. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

Thumbs up for the Behringer BCR 32!!

9. marveljam

marveljam Ultrasonic

I honestly think it is a good price for all it's features. I mix and write using Nuendo/Cubase. The feature set is vast and the integration with the Steinberg channel strip is excellent for the price. I do wish the connection was over ethernet

10. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Well, for those of us working mainly ITB it does look fantastic. But the price is pretty steep and you have to install their software. So there might be compatibility issues, and it requires Win 8+ and "internet connection". I'm not sure if you can bypass those, but until reviews come out I'm not hyped.

11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

What does Behringer BCR 32 has to do with the SSL UF8? :dunno: You are comparing oranges with apples. Better to compare the SSL UF8 with Behringer's WING which gives you way more for less money. To be clear, the WING gives you 24 Motorized Faders, Fully Customizable, 8 Midas PRO Mic Inputs & Outputs,10" Touch Screen, Plug 'n Play up to 144 Input and Output, and much more. https://www.behringer.com/behringer/product?modelCode=P0BV2. In order to get 24 faders with SSL you need 3 UF8 which will run you $3,900 which is $1000 more than the price for the WING. Indeed, even the SSL Nucleus as a better value per dollar than its UF8.

12. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

got this baby at a pawn shop like new for $200, 2-3 years ago and its never let me down. i think brand new you can pick them up less than $500.

the little screens are slightly larger on the ssl and i guess it would be nice for every channel to have its own dedicated rotary knobs but other than that i don't really see what the ssl can do that my faderport 8 can't... at least not for the difference in $$.

faderport 8.jpg shit it looks like the faderport may actually have more functions than the ssl.

all that said, im sure that won't stop plenty of suckers from droppin' the $1300

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

frightening that a Nucleus suddenly because a cheaper alternative :rofl:

I love a hardware controller, but I just can’t see how anyone could justify either of the SSL’s, even if they do look the bollocks.

14. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

and i know its not a direct 1:1 comparison (faderport is 8 channels but you can scroll infinitely to use them across as many tracks as you like, where ssl is 12 and may be scrollable as well) but just sayin', hell of a gap in $$ for those few things.

i will admit though, the ssl would look a HELL of a lot sexier on my desk

15. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

that’s one VERY nice looking room, and the UA interface, but how the hell do you cope with just one screen????

16. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

The Nucleus is awesome. For some of us, these features will justify buying it:
    • Excellent visual feedback via self illuminating buttons, LED's and DAW Level Metering
    • Compatible with ProTools, Logic, Cubase/Nuendo and all major DAW applications
    • Switch between 3 connected DAW's with a single button press
    • Two banks of 8 channel controls plus centre section controls
    • Touch sensitive 100mm motorised faders
    • Ethernet connected DAW Controller for professional project studios
    • Digital Scribble Strips with assignable V-Pots and soft keys
    • Completely user customisable DAW & Key Command mapping
    • Remote Logictivity Browser for effortless configuration
    • SD card for non volatile project storage
    • Large heavy duty transport buttons and high quality jog/shuttle wheel
    • Digital S/PDIF I/O to the AD/DA of the audio interface
    • Two headphone outputs and one iJack monitor input
    • Standard 1/4" Jack footswitch connection
    • A unique audio nerve centre for your project studio
    • Benchmark SuperAnalogueTM quality output to 2 stereo sets of +4dBu monitor outputs
    • High quality Dante audio interface (44.1kHz – 96kHz, 24 Bit) over ethernet
    • Zero latency Rec monitoring with wet/dry control to balance input and DAW playback
    • Two Combi XLR mic/line/instrument level inputs to audio interface and monitor outputs
    • Insert send/return connections switched between inputs and DAW playback for mixdown
    • SSL SuperAnalogueTM Mic Pre's, identical to those used on SSL Duality and AWS consoles
    • Mic inputs have 80Hz High Pass Filters, Phase Reverse and Phantom Power
    • Additional "external" SuperAnalogueTM input monitor path for another audio interface
    • Three USB sockets for use as a 3 port USB hub
    • Dual Ethernet ports for incorporating additional Dante devices into your studio

17. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

damn... i just came across this as well. you can get the faderport in a 16 channel version for $999 new. faderport 16.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I agree, it is, but it just feels like a lot of money for a feature set that could be achieved for less expenditure, or not “quite” enough for a full fat studio. I imagine Gilmour would have one on his boat.

or I’m just jealous that I don’t have one. The last is more probable.

19. My Allen & Heath QU32 gives me 32 channels of automated faders and some basic functionality as a control surface, but when I'm busy working using the mouse, I'm only aware of the QU if I hear the faders moving. I've been working on the screen so long I can't break the habit. Even my Console 1 sits idle much of the time. Although I've set up a template with it on every channel and that's got me back into it.
    C2BD47DA-0695-46D2-B062-84350B7218E9.jpeg

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

Thanks. :cheers:

it used to be an unfinished wood shop. i put a lot of work into it and its finally "done". or as done as one's studio ever can be.

i want another screen badly and have made a few attempts to expand to 2 but its just a flaw in my setup that leaves me unable to do so.

i run an upgraded 2012 macbook pro in my studio (honestly only bc i wanted the UA and its thunderbolt powered and i couldnt afford a windows pc w/ thunderbolt). the 2012 models only have 1 thunderbolt port... which also doubles as the display port. so bc i have the UA using that port i cant expand to 2 monitors. the only thing thats possible is to mirror my screen on multiple monitors. it sucks..

ive looked into ways to expand or split thunderbolt connections but i havent seen any options out there yet for doing that. or at least that are budget friendly enough to do so.

21. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

now THAT is a room I could lose days in!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List