Software that converts drum loop (wav/aif) into MIDI

Discussion in 'Software' started by tommyzai, Apr 20, 2015.

1. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I think it would be amazing to convert my audio drum loops into MIDI. This would preserve the nuances of the live drummer and allow me to use the kit of my choice . . . keeping the performance, but freeing myself from the sound. Anything out there like this? If not, there needs to be!

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Ableton and Studio One can extract grooves from loops.

You should check also FxPansion Geist.

4. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Those DAW can take an audio drum loop and convert to MIDI data? I know they can do the opposite . . . convert plugins/midi to audio.

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Need to hear 2 times or less to write a mach drum.
    Need hours to mix the multi instrument that is the drum.
    And also nodwadays hds are cheap :dunno:

6. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Tommyzai,

You should to have a look at the following Programs :

[​IMG]

'intelliScore Ensemble'

'AmazingMIDI'
    This one is FREE ! *yes*

You can also try and test the following Converter : 'Bear File Converter', to get your 'AIFF' and/or 'WAV' Files converted to 'MIDI' directly 'On-Line' and for FREE !

'Convert WAV (or MP3, OGG, AAC, WMA) to MIDI'

7. Soul Runna

Soul Runna Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DF0HQE6gR4

8. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Wo Bu Ming Bai (I don't understand)???

9. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

May I add . . . can any of the suggested DAWs/Apps batch process such a conversion? That would be even cooler!! Thanks for suggestions.

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

You can do that in StudioOne, as one of members already mentioned, in the Quantize/Groove section.

Check this out:
    [​IMG]

The second track (called 128_chorus_Kick) is audio file, its audio clip is dragged in that black box then clicks in the black box and drag it to an empty track and the midi clip is generated automatically.

Cheers! :bow:

Melodyne works as well, just select the "Percussive" algorithm and then "File -> Export Midi file"

11. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

The Bear online audio converter worked, per my test, pretty well on a couple of files for the same drum performance: one file a track of just the kick-drum; the other track with the snare and cymbals. The MIDI conversion caught the performance so well that some nuances were also notated, but in this case, it's better to have enough to throw away than to have too litte. It's good to have found out about the Bear converter site - it also has document, video and graphics converters. It converted the audio to MIDI really fast.

There is also AudioScore:

http://www.neuratron.com/audioscore.htm

- which is principally for rendering notations of audio, but also produces MIDI files thereof in the process. I have used this in the past, and was happy with the results.

Logic Pro has a feature that will produce MIDI from drum tracks (mainly for the sake of doubling or replacing drum sounds), but it's never been as straightforward, in its methods nor its results, as I'd needed it to be.

12. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

Another way to do this in Studio One is this:

1. Import *.wav sample to track
    2. Select the part and right click/open with melodyne
    3. Once melodyne opens just close it again (no need to do anything else)
    4. Create Instrument track
    5. Copy or drag audio part or to instrument track... done!

In my experience with wav to midi conversion the applications which have more accurate detection are not so good on longer parts and visa versa

Digital Ear also converts wav to midi...
    My link

Switch does batch conversion...
    My link

Since I bought S1 i've not needed to use anything else, it's very accurate and you can of course manipulate in melodyne first or as previously mentioned do it via groove/quantize section.

Have fun =)

13. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Many thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The more I think about it, the more I realize I need a batch conversion. With nearly 200,000 loops . . . it would be much sweeter to convert them all into a massive .mid library of grooves.

http://www.music-notation.info/en/compmus/audio2midi.html

Limited options for Mac . . . not sure if any batch process.

14. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

Cubase does this, too.........!

15. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

WIDI Recognition System Pro seems cool, but not sure it does batches and it cost $200.

16. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

cant have it all kid.

17. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

If you want good results I'm affraid the best thing you can do is forget about automation.

18. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Playing drums is fun. So is mic set ups and recording and experimenting with them. You don't have to be a keyboard player to use keys in the studio and get usable things. You don't have to be a particularly good drummer to do the same. Don't know why more people don't just smack their own triggers how they want them and put them where they want them. I asked my girlfriend to smack my trigger.........

19. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I've been looking for a good USB drum pad for years. I'm ready to smack my own trigger, but the hardware options are limited. Roland Octapad @ $600 and a couple limited, crappy ones under that price.

20. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Roland has the best playing, responsive, "drummer friendly" pads of any electronic triggers I have tried. But if you are not a drummer, I'm not sure how much difference you would notice between a Roland and something more economical. -----KAT Percussion KTMP1 Multipad--- I have not tried KAT, but their sensors are highly praised in percussive circles. I think you could create some nice MIDI hits and pattern constructions with one of these.---- If some kind soul wanted to get me a MalletKat.... a little out of my budget. I might get more into electronic percussion if I had one of these. http://www.alternatemode.com/malletkat.shtml

21. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

A USB drum pad would be nice to have, but I still need those beats converted to MIDI. ;-).

I was just about to pull the trigger on the KTMP1 and read this review . . .

Q: When used as a controller via USB, does it send the velocity information as well as the trigger?

A: Yes, but the delay is just too much. Almost 1 sec.