Software for Organizing/Cataloging Plugins, Instruments, Kontakt Libraries, patches, presets?

Discussion in 'Software' started by El Duderino, Aug 13, 2024.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino Newbie

Hey all!

I was thinking about the best way to organize and keep track of all my music software because it's difficult, tedious and breaks the workflow to have to load up and search for the right sound/patch/instrument/FX when you are in the flow of music making. So if there was an app where you could catalog everything, you could just search it and find it faster and then get on with making music :)

How do you guys go about keeping track on all your stuff? Does anyone use specific software to keep track?

I'm trying to find an app that sort of function like many of the cataloging software for media files like music and movies. So you can scan a folder with stuff, get a list of the files and then add detailed info like what sort of plugin/instrument/patch it is, if it's an instrument or effect, what version, if it is installed or not, perhaps an image or two, personal rating or something to remind you of how it sounds, tagging, maybe a link to youtube walkthroughs or tutorials, etc. etc.

I suppose there are no specific software exclusively for this purpose but perhaps some other software might be useful and functional for this? It doesn't have to be linked to the DAW but used more like a database/catalog of my software so I can keep track of stuff and have a better overview. Even one of the music/movie cataloging software might work if it would allow for adding other files and adjust which websites to scrape for info and pictures so you could get details and pictures from the big audio software websites, just like they do with IMDB for movies and TV shows.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on this?