Software for automatic mastering?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Highdom, Aug 19, 2018.

1. DJK

DJK Rock Star

T Racks 5 the best

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Gonna get straight to the point, I really only read a few of the responses so if I am repeating anything already said....my bad! Anyways ,there truly is no such thing as "Auto mastering" As a person that makes a living Mastering and also being F.O.H. when on tours I can tell you with all confidence , The mastering chain is always different depending on genre and what frequency's are being generated. Of course it's easier when you're are limited to just gear, Much nicer to dial it in to get the sound you want vs going thru a shit load of vst's trying to figure out what the fuck sounds better, My suggestion would to go to the sister site download all the tutorials on mastering and for sure get the Bob Katz mastering book. Also do not hesitate to ask here for some help during your learning process. Besides my self there are plenty here that work in Studios ,put out really well done music and are more than willing to help. Bottom line.... Stop trying to have shit done for you, Learn the craft and do it yourself. Geez. I'm old...lol

EDIT Stay away from online Mastering. There are two copyrights, 1 for the music(mix) and 1 for the master, unless there is a clause that says you own all of it and it's your music and your's only. Be careful

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Yeah, I agree with what others are saying. Nothing better than experienced ears to do your master. As well as a well treated room. If you're just trying to get some "shine" that's what I'd recommend Lurssen for. Just gives you a basic idea of where it can go.
    Personally, I used it when I was demoing a mix for the band. But I'm still sending the tracks off to be mastered prior to release.

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

5. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

tried landr. results are very decend. and i use alot my powercore stuff for mastering

6. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Maserati GRP Stereo from Waves can make magic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Helvetica

Helvetica Producer

Hire Daft Punk

8. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Searching with your good eye/ear closed lol \m/

9. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

If you reasonably know what you're doing, meaning that you at least have a clue about what each part of a mastering fx chain should do, Ozone 8 with its mastering assistant plus its new "Tonal Balance Control" tool is an excellent combo.

That's the closest you can get to an automatic mastering tool, at least for now (AI will do anything audio related better than us somewhere in the next 15 years). Currently, Izotope is the state-of-the-art reference when it comes to AI assisted mixing/mastering solution.

Neutron 2 is also excellent for mixing. I highly recommend it.

10. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

T-RackS was the first software I used that actually put out usable masters (this was well before Ozone, and back before Waves was making mastering-type plugs beyond Maximizer). Before that, I had Prosoniq Dynasone, the original "automatic mastering" software, and it really made your shitty mixes sound bad.

11. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

I'm thinking about put differents plugins to clean my mix globally, like ozone mastering assistant, maybe oxford inflator or the maserati grp, and then use lurssem. I was really shocked from IK products like T-RackS

12. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

IMHO, you should worry about cleaning up your mix during mixing, not mastering...And that's why I like Neutron 2; It's the perfect tool for the task. Only being able to see and fix clashing frequencies in real time, on a single screen, it's worth its price...Mix assistant is really great at automatically identifying resonances and harsh frequencies as well.

Really, I used to dislike Izotope products. A few months ago I tried the Neutron 2+ Ozone 8 combo at a friend's studio, and I was really impressed about how it's able to accelerate your workflow. It's crazy.

The point is, nowadays I think Izotope stuff make my music sound at least as good (better, most of the time) as messing around with a zillion different plugins, and it's at least ten time faster.

13. Pule

Pule Producer

Try Har-bal

14. figroll

figroll Noisemaker

There are some quality free plugins out there for mixing & mastering,but mainly its your ears!! A top engineer will use the rolls royce of £££ plugins, but if your samples are clean all you need is EQ ,MB COMPRESSOR.LIMITER maybe SATURATION, just experiment until you feel its sounds right.

http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=Mastering/Strip

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  15. johndoehizzle

johndoehizzle Kapellmeister

no offense, but no such thing as automatic mastering. its all ear.

16. Ballz

Ballz Producer

17. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I would like this auto mastering and some automatic music making plugin too please. Make 'em two if you can, np. Put in an automatic lyrics generator too. And i wouldn't mind if it makes an espresso at the same time while it rolls a huge blunt. Actually, now that i think about it we can skip the blunt to save cpu resources, as anyway i 'd rather be gone swimming in some cool beach while all my automatic softies make my music for me. After that i will let my automated bot soft (shortly called Autobot mini, distant cousin to Optimus Prime) upload all MY music that I, the task man himself, GENIOUSLY created from MY IMAGINATION, to youtube, itunes, juno etc and sell it for big bucks. Did i say that this will be MY MUSIC not YOURS? Sheesssh, the more i think about it the better it gets.
    Beware LilPump , here comes Task :phunk:
    Now that's real artistic creation.
    Ain't life sweet , huh ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Exactly -- no two songs are mixed the same, nobody uses the exact same mics or puts them in the same spot in the same room, or has the same outboard gear or plays the same way or has the same number of instruments doing roughly the same things. They have paradigms to balance frequencies on a two-track master based on the "genre" (question: if you select "rock", for example, does it take keyboards into account? Punk? Nu-metal? Some loops? Beach Boy-style harmonies? An orchestra in the background?) of music, but it doesn't account for bad mixing, like too much reverb or delay, vocals too soft, too much or too little compression, bad gain-staging, etc. And if it could, would you really want an AI assessing your mix? Everybody's songs would end up sounding the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I have never had much to master, this being just a hobby for me to play with the toys.
    I've only had 3 songs that I worked on mixing, and did those years ago...good enough to crank up in my old Nova with some old house speakers rigged in the back ... basic drums & bass with a mess of guitar on top.
    But in recent times I got interested again because of all the nice instruments. Then I found Ozone, and it got me interested in mixing in more depth. I've always known how mixing is done but these tools (not just mixing tools, but the DAWs themselves,too) are much more interesting to work with than in the olden days, when i was using mostly stock Cakewalk plugs.
    So now I am beginning to watch tutorials (something else there wasn't much of back then) and read the manuals / use the help (often built-in with popups and nice manuals often just a click away from within the plugin (and using PDF-Xchange portable is really nice).
    I like Ozone for seeing what it does and then fooling with the settings-having a variety of stuff in one plug and easy dynamic EQing , level-matching on the output ... these are a big deal for quickly testing ... these are incredible tools these days.
    It does a lot, so I figured I'd put it on every track, submix and final and it brought my machine to its knees (i7 7700 non-OC).
    Fun times!

20. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Yeah I don't want a bunch of automatic AI tools interfering with my creativity.
    I never needed all that stuff to make my shitty mixes sound bad.