Softube Weiss DS1-MK3

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Pollice verso, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

:cool:

In short
    • Officially licensed and endorsed by Daniel Weiss himself.
    • Not an emulation, but a line-by-line code port of the original digital hardware.
    • Exactly the same processor as the $10,000 original, at a fraction of the cost.
    • Three processors in one; de-ess, compress, and limit, with the industry standard tool.
    • Processes at resolutions of up to 32 bit/192 kHz for exceptional sound quality.
    • Advanced metering - waveform view.
    • Featuring presets from Bob Katz.
    • Truly versatile de-essing. Choose your own filters, adjust frequency, and tailor the process to your needs working in stereo or mid-sides.
    • Digital compressor can operate at speeds no analog unit ever could, and offers you total control.
    • Two brand-new advanced limiter algorithms included, as well as the Weiss original.
    • Run multiple instances of this legendary unit on the same mix at no extra cost.
    • Nothing sounds as clean, as transparent, as good. That’s why the hardware is in every major mastering studio in the world.
    • Purchase of the DS1-MK3 also includes the new Weiss MM-1 intelligent Mastering Maximizer plug-in.

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=weissds1

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. JockÄl

JockÄl Member

Reminds me of the Stealth Limiter from IK Multimedia's T-Racks. And the Stealth Limiter is a pretty good plugin.

4. HoubaZhouby

HoubaZhouby Member

So... Is this a software emulation of software compressor??? :woot:

Am I missing something here??

5. Disfunktion

Disfunktion Ultrasonic

Nope, It's a line-by-line code recreation of the DS1-MK3 Hardware that uses digital algorithms to process incoming audio signal.

The original hardware unit can cost anywhere from 8-10,000 USD.

6. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

I can trust Bob Katz. Interesting +1

7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Now that is something worth getting curious about.

TY

8. 1/20th the price of the hardware for 99% of the original sound. If you have $500 bucks to spend for mastering duties this one is a no-brainer. Weiss is nice. The folks that I have heard use it say that this is the real deal. Bob Katz (and his three Grammys) uses it and he could use anything at all that he chooses. I wonder if the Revolutionaries in Reverse will with this 2 bestow the masses.
    [​IMG]
    Those are the Weiss units on the right. Droollllllllllllll.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Skaunker

Skaunker Kapellmeister

what is missing ?

10. 1%. Silly question.
    Best price is $419 @ http://everyplugin.com/weiss-ds1-mk3.html
    There is a 20 day demo, go wild mastering shit for the next three weeks or even just using the comp for comp sake. People are saying that this is the best plugin ever, better than Acoustica stuff. Totally transparent with an amazing sense of control.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Softube is processing my demo for download. I forgot that you need a soft licence for this one. My computer is never online. Is there a workaround for this?

Edit: You can have a separate download and use the software licencer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

AD/DA conversion.

I'm not that enthusiastic about any expensive audio processors, though. There's been even more bullshit and pink elephants in the professional hardware world than in the professional software world. Yes, Weiss is a big name. That doesn't mean it's a holy-fuck one magical thing that makes everything you put through it sound like gold. :wink: The rule in the audio world has always been: shit in=shit out. Good shit in=better shit out. :rofl:

13. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

No.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

500 $ for a single Plugin… The licensing fees for the "Weiss" brand name must be immense…

15. $250 too expensive. But hey, I can wait for the inevitable blowout sale when it comes.

16. They always do. :crazy:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. And old Bob Katz gets his silver for the presets too.

Remember this, the hardware is a box housing the wherewithal for a digital processor and the knobs to fiddle about with and a little screen to see what is what. The porting over to vst is what you are buying. Previously it was like having a plugin in a box, now you are supplying the box. Since so many people have forsaken hardware as the soft becomes more true to the analogue world and the line that divides the two is narrowing, it might be the perfect time for Weiss to offer this well known and what was previously only available to platinum card holders, intellectual property. The DS-1 is (too) expensive, but Cedar restoration plugins run about $2400 apiece. I don't know or know of anybody using them, but I am far away from that sector of users that might be working with those tools these days. Like Herr Plange said, "I can wait for the inevitable blowout sale when it comes"...maybe. Until that time there is always DMG Limitless and Essence to get the mastering engineer with less, more.

18. Blorg

Blorg Producer

VST copy of a 10-yr.-old digital HW compressor/de-esser? That I'm hearing about for the first time now (inb4: yes, due to own ignorance and all-around unhipness)? For just half a grand?!
    [​IMG]
    Grammy Award-winning albums mastered by Bob Katz:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

haz never heard befo about this Weiss thing either here :dunno:

waiting for R2R to "try it out", so i can uninstall and delete it on the same day.. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. It's 17 years old. The DS1 came out in 2001. Weiss are unheard of because they're so expensive and 100% digital. The real famous processor that they did was an early EQ around the time Sek'd (aka MAGIX) invented the linear phase digital EQ. Personally I think the Massenburg EQ is better than the ancient Weiss. Make your own mind up about the DS1. It's a limiting compressor. Is it really worth $500 after 17 years? People will think so. Katz does the presets for the HW version, probably got ported at the same time.

21. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

I'm really waiting for it to get cracked just so I could know I downloaded for free something that others bought for 10000$.

Holy spit they actually sell a little de-hissing plugin for 3000$ :rofl:

You can't make this shit up

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018