Softube TAPE

Discussion in 'Software News' started by devilorcracker, Jun 7, 2017.

1. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Time to get reel! Softube’s Tape plug-in adds cohesion and weight to your mixes. But Tape goes far beyond your average tape machine emulation. It includes three distinctly different tape machine types, and it offers the ease of use and low CPU strain that today’s music creators rightfully expect.

Even in this day and age, it's common practice for computer based professional studios to run their mixes through at least one generation of analog tape. Why? Because even when used subtly, analog tape has a smoothing effect and adds cohesion and weight to a mix—it takes the recording from a collection of individual tracks into a song where everything is connected and works together. With Softube’s Tape plug-in, you can have all that and more.

Three Machines in One
    Tape includes three different tape machine types in one plug-in. Type A is based on a classic Swiss high end reel-to-reel machine, known and loved for its precision and linearity. Type B is much more colorful—it’s a transformer based machine which adds extra weight and cream to the low end. Lastly, Type C is based on a British tape machine with a distinct vintage vibe.

Ease of Use
    Select your favorite tape machine Type, and adjust the Amount knob to taste. In most cases, that’s all you need to do to soak your tracks in analog tape sweetness. Easier still, load up one of the included presets, made by award winning engineers such as Joe Chiccarelli (Beck, U2, Strokes) and Howard Willing (Smashing Pumpkins, Sheryl Crow, Kris Kristofferson).

But Wait, There’s More
    Feeling tweaky? Why not start by trying the different tape speed settings—you’ll find that the slower the tape speed, the more pronounced is the so-called tape head bump, which adds low end to the mix. Or open the Remote Control panel where you can control the selected tape machine’s speed stability, crosstalk amount and several other tape-a-liscious features.

Dense Sound, Light on CPU
    Add a single instance of Tape on your master bus to emulate what most computer based studios do today—mix in the computer, then mix down to a stereo tape machine—or go vintage style by adding Tape to every single track in your mix. Yes, your computer will be able to handle it. As most Softube plug-ins, Tape is uniquely light on your computer’s processor.

Extras for Studio One Users
    If you run Presonus Studio One, you can not only use Tape as a standard plug-in. Adding Tape to your MixFX slot gives you Tape Multitrack. Tape Multitrack includes all the goodies of Tape, but in addition, you get selectable crosstalk between each individual track—and you can easily control the Tape Multitrack settings from a single interface. The Tape and Tape Multitrack license is one and the same. This means that if you’re not a Studio One user but at some future point decide to switch to that DAW, you will already have Tape Multitrack installed, licensed and ready to go.

• Realistic analog tape sound
    • Three tape machine types included
    • Easy to use
    • Low CPU usage
    • Includes Tape Multitrack which can be used in the MixFX slot of Presonus Studio One—adding individual channel crosstalk and singleinterface control of all tracks
    Intro offer: $79
    Regular price: $99.99

More info: https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/audio-plug-ins/softube-tape?mc_cid=89e4799cea&mc_eid=18b95b5052

• Like Like x 11
    • Interesting Interesting x 5
    • List
  3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

2017: the "Tape" season goes on. Another (useless) brick in the wall?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

always welcome vintage tape and analog console emulations and all the fuck in between, so more power to Softube.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Did you mean this vintage one? :woot:

[​IMG]

1956 to 1964 - Ampex 601-2

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Or this slightly less vintage one? :winker:

Well, never mind. AS won't let me post a pic of an Akai GX-260D evidently...

7. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

haha, no, I didn't mean an emulation of your grandma's old squeaky gramophone, if that's what you're asking.

I wouldn't mind Studer A80 and Stephens Tape non-UAD emus though. Some classic 70's stuff right there.

• List
  8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Lol, at people complaining about having different options.....:rofl:
    That studio one feature is nice too, even though I dont use it anymore

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

It also comes with a razor blade, so you can cut yourself if not satisfied with the mix.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

So, Tape Emulations are becoming the new 1176es, as far as flooding the plugin market is concerned?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. virusg

virusg Rock Star

12. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

so what? Overloud came up with a new 1176 emu and it's better than the predecessors. it's called progress, not flooding. Overloud did Tapedesk, which is console interacting with tape, do you have many alternatives of that on the market?

man, you "lets stay with 5-10 years ago made everything" ppl are insufferable. now it only takes Sinewave to come and post his shitty rant about how he hates new Softube Tape 3D interface and the "mission retardo" is fucking accomplished.

13. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Personally, I'm a big fan of having choices. I was strictly using the Waves CLA-76 until I seen a post in @subGENRE's thread where @spencer26 was saying to use the T-Racks 1176, so I tried it. And my ears like it much better.
    I think @5teezo is just commenting that it seems to be the Tape Emulators turn, not that that was necessarily a bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

The way you talk you probably never even owned a Walkman – because you sound like a 12 yr old. So I am pretty sure you couldn't tell progress if it happened right under your snotty nose! ;)

From a marketing perspective I am pretty confident it's called market differentiation, or: flooding. Because everybody and their mama want's to get a piece of that sweet virtual analogue pie and take your money! And they do so by making YOU believe that their particular product is THE closest VA emulation of a Tape Machine ever. But the funny thing is, most of us don't even know the real thing – I know, I don't. I never had the chance to work with real tape. All I know is, that I know how it is supposed to sound like and what it's physical and sonic characteristics are.

BUT I actually appreciate that there is software that does all this analog magic. And I actually do own some Softube plugins, so I know what they are capable of. And I follow the plugin market pretty closely so I am not one of "those people" you referring to.

The 1176 comparison was drawn to show that what you call "progress" means just more high res graphics on top of a shiny GUI. Get a well-renown celeb mixing engineer to promote it. Where they should say, "hey, snot nose, learn to produce tight shit first" they say "Hey, dude, buy this plugin… No, aactually, don't buy it, lease it so you have to pay monthly. And if you don't you can no longer open your session, but who gives a fuck, right, this is awesooooome?!"

Che-Chiiiiing… Some PROGRESS for your ass, boyyyyyy! (FLAVOR FLAV VOICE) :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I trust my ears and R2R...Who cares about what some famous guy or even (insert random forum screen name here) says whats good or bad..... Well except @Von_Steyr and @Jaymz and @superliquidsunshine , I totally trust their discerning ears and judgments on plugs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Yeah, the pic attaching is still borked. You gotta host em still and use the pic button in the post box

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I agree. I use my ears.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

5teezo the way you talk you really gotta be a lame 12-year old bozo. the only thing you could do is try to belittle my point with speculations about my age, which are BTW a fart in the wind, bubba. very immature and low class too.

though it doesn't change the fact Overloud made progress with their 1176 emulation and Tapedesk is one of a kind plugin. and devs will continue trying and improving stuff, regardless. this Softube Tape might very well be a new standard in virtual tape emulations, but all I'm talking about is too hard to comprehend for a troglodyte like you.

next time try to come up with some valid points, actually. and try to be more adult while at it.

Che-Chiiiiing idiot!

19. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@digitaldragon I posted this in the kontakt wallpaper section, but in case you need a fast easy alternative way to post pics.
    [​IMG]
    This is my workaround 'til this site gets sorted out. You can put them on a photo sharing site like imgur without sharing them to your/their gallery feed. Takes 2 seconds to up it there. Then you just right click the image and copy the image location. And then you can use the insert image button on top of the post box here and paste the link in there.

20. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I worked with tape from 1978 until 1994. From multi-track down to two track. Studer to TEAC. I did sessions with Neumann mics and some with nothing but SM57's. But everything sounded "whole" no matter what outboard gear I used or didn't use. Tape made everything stick. Get the balance right, adjust the eq and send it off for mastering. I have half a dozen tape sims including both UAD, but none of them gel like the reel thing. Hey. Get that pun? Reel/real. Thank you for being a great audience.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Come on, cant we all just get along. Im definitely tired of being in forum arguments, more tired of reading them. Save them for when we have a valid point to argue. Not if someone likes or doesnt like plugins. Usually the ones doing the talking about the tech and theory are the ones hoarding all the plugs and cant even finish a tune. I have never worked with tape or real (pro) hardware, so I have no baseline to compare these plugs too. But, I do know this. They definitly make my mixing and mastering sound better. So, I will keep trying different options till I get the best sounding mix that I can possibly achieve

Cha-ching, lol Reminds me of headshot kills in Fallout 4. Its the sound it makes in the game

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List