Softube releases: Heartbeat - Drum Synth plugin

Discussion in 'Software News' started by theDingus, Jun 26, 2015.

1. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Classic drum synthesis is back with a vengeance! Heartbeat is an innovative software drum synth with a familiar, yet unique, sound character. A world class effects section is included, as well as the innovative Auto Layer Machine which will take your beats to unexpected places. Because Heartbeat is more than a machine—it's a living thing with a mind of its own.

Heartbeat is likely to cause severe palpitations. It is the drum synth of your dreams, combining modeled analog synthesis of yesteryear with forward-thinking features and flexibility. The modeled analog sound engine, the Auto Layer Machine and the included top-of-the-line effects turns Heartbeat into a killer package for your beats.

The synthesis engine

While Heartbeat draws inspiration from the best analog drum synths from the 1980s, it does not emulate any existing drum machine. The sound mostly originates from Softube's own modeled analog synthesis, which has been augmented with carefully selected waveforms.

The core of Heartbeat consists of the eight instrument channels. You will find two different bass drum channels, which can be as punchy and deep as you want them, but are also perfectly capable of producing snappy and hard hitting woody textures. The two dedicated snare drum channels have six parameters each which allows you to achieve anything from edgy rimshots, soft and whispery snare rolls to machine-like claps.

The percussion channels are identical and can be used to model anything from 80s style synthetic toms to cowbells and noise drops. And just like the other channels, the hihat and cymbal channels offer flexible synthesis engines—tweak to your heart's desire!

[​IMG]

The effects

In order to make Heartbeat your one stop shop for beat programming, we added a fully featured effects section. It includes slightly adapted versions of our beloved model of Valley People Dyna-mite and one of our top sellers of all time, the TSAR-1 Reverb. The Dyna-mite is a dynamic shaping Swiss army knife with a serious attitude. Limiting, compression, gating, sidechained ducking—Dyna-mite handles it all. And TSAR-1 is simply the most gorgeous plug-in reverb ever created.

The all new Filter Echo is a filtered delay effect with adjustable Cut Off and Resonance parameters. And finally, the output saturation can go from juicy to gritty and is not taken from any existing Softube product.

Each of the eight channels has a dedicated mixer channel with controls for volume, pan, ping-pong (auto panning), EQ (adapted specifically for each instrument) and send levels to the reverb and delay effects.

A mind of its own

Heartbeat is not only about sound, it's also about inspiration and interaction. This is where the innovative Auto Layer Machine comes in. The Auto Layer Machine has four channels that can each be used to layer sounds or trigger a chain of events. This can be used to create new sound textures or create automatic fill patterns in up to four steps.

If things still get too predictable, move the Chaos sliders to the right—these add an element of randomness, ranging from subtle variations to massive trigger-riot mayhem!

Flexible global velocity parameter knobs for volume, pitch, attack and decay can make Heartbeat responsive to velocity changes. Time Gate shortens the overall decay to create a stuttery and stiff machine sound.

No iLok USB dongle required

A hardware USB iLok dongle is optional for the copy protection of Heartbeat. Heartbeat can also be used with iLok's new machine based license.

[​IMG]

In short:

- Eight channels of drum sounds, mostly based on modeled analog synthesis
    - Mixer with volume, EQ, effect sends and panning for each channel
    - Four channel Auto Layer Machine for layering sounds or triggering beat patterns
    - Chaos slider adds randomness to the behavior of Auto Layer Machine
    - Adapted versions of TSAR-1 Reverb and Valley People Dyna-mite included, as well as Filter Echo and output saturation
    - No iLok USB dongle required
    - VST, VST3, Audio Units and AAX Native

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3zs0tBEVZ8 | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_vA3AKAExc | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoJ1Qqi9KGw

http://soundcloud.com/softube/christofferberg-heartbeat-demo?in=softube/sets/heartbeat

http://soundcloud.com/softube/tomas-boden-heartbeat-demo-1?in=softube/sets/heartbeat

http://soundcloud.com/softube/kristofer-ulfves-heartbeat-demo?in=softube/sets/heartbeat

http://soundcloud.com/softube/heartbeat-dnb?in=softube/sets/heartbeat

http://soundcloud.com/softube/heartbeat-hiphop?in=softube/sets/heartbeat

Heartbeat is available $219

More INFO: Softube | Heartbeat

3. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

looks amazing man!

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Softube releases a drum synth. This could get interesting.

5. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    hey, audio lovers,

it seems, it hears, new winds might blow from our speakers through these quite fresh sounding timbre making possibilities... :wink:

all the best... :bow:

6. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

They do make some great stuff & this looks no different *yes*

7. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Hmmm... no more iLok usb dongle and a brand new drum synth... hmmm... new customers on the go.

[​IMG]

8. remix

remix Platinum Record

i like softtube...

i hate drum synthesis tho...especially 80's sounding ones. What a shit decade for drum sounds.

9. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

Fantastic decade for acoustic drums tho Remix, all those massive compressed arena like snares!

Depends on what you like I guess.

Would be interesting to listen to the history of drums thru the ages and how it has changed.

Of course it depends on the genre.

I mean I hate to admit it but I like some Rap stuff & they gotta be some of the shittiest sounding drums ever but in some ways they fit the song. I mean 909 & 808 legendary bits of kit. Wouldn't mind an old AKAI myself bet they pricey now but havent a clue to be honest.

Eye of the beholder again i guess :wink:

10. davea

davea Platinum Record

The sound out of this "new" *no* drum machine reminds me a lot uTonic from SonicCharge ( which is an amazing drum synth btw)

11. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

Nice GUI and interesting sound, but iLok = no way!
    SonicCharge gets my money.

12. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Reminds me a nice analog drum machine with attitude (and if you listen to both Softube and this one, they are not 80's at all) :
    Elektron

About uTonic, i used it for years, and no, it will never deliver such a result. Very nice kicks and such, but nothing near Elektron/Heartbeat diversity.

13. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Pipotron do you regularly check your AudioSex mailbox? I wanted to talk to you about something.

14. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Lel, that's what I thought when I saw the title of this thread.

Looks like a really nice plugin to just mess around with and create some random drum patterns and give your tracks an intentionally raw drum mix.

These days I'm going for these types of sounds anyway, so it's nice to see these kinds of tools being updated for 2015 > :)

15. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

heartbeat is rather a lame name. :rofl:

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

That's why they invented processing. Now it may seem passé but back in that day and age it was the cutting edge, we're just snobs now due to our wealth of options and technologies right at our fingertips. Some samplers such as 112dB's Morgana can really make drum sounds shine with a vintage sound that is often in fact highly revered. Also for example 80s drums are really perfect with some applied processing for Industrial music. Ohmicide. Noise gate on the snare with a big verb. :grooves:

I actually really like drum synthesis because you can sculpt the exact timbre that you want and since the drums are the foundation it's something worth getting good at. Have you ever given FXPansion Tremor a go? It can get some interesting results and the polyrhythmic capabilities are very well implemented. It's also more contemporary sounding than those classic old-school types of boxes. Sonic Charge Microtonic is a really amazing drum synth as well that I highly recommend.

17. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Am i the only person using Waldorf Attack?
    I really love the sounds i can get from that but i never see it mentioned by anyone else.

18. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    hey, Willum,

you are not alone, have even done one percussion bank for, with, it... *yes*

all the best for all of us... :bow:

19. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Bro, I'm not going to lie... this is a really great comment you've just posted. Totally agree with everything you've just said, especially about the reason why you like drum synthesis. Sometimes, it can get really fun just getting lost inside these drum tools and just creating some crazy shit :D

Also, total respect for how much you know about these plugins...since you're so busy all the time dealing with the websites etc etc...

20. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

The world NEEDS an Fxpansion Geist 2. Geist is way ahead of all the drum plugins as far as capability and flexibility. Only minus are the stock fx. I'd definitely frisbee my wallet at a Geist 2.

21. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Best Drums ever come from the 80s.....Name a few Roland 808, DMX (listen to Run DMCs Its like that or Sucker MCs)...