Softube Modular - What happened to this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

There was a bit of a buildup to this, marketing stating the use of Doepfer and Intellijel unit being remodelled and so on. The, when it got to about 24-48 hours before release they postponed the release, which ended up being for about 6 weeks ish. It's not been out about 2/3 months and I've heard NOTHING about it.

Not just in terms of scene releases and so, but I've not really seen any reviews/usage on YouTube, nobody talking about it, no real marketing for it etc.

What happened? Did it bomb that much, or just too niche to have been spotted?

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Well, it hit the shelves and recieved generally favorable reviews on most of the major sites.

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Have you worked with Arturia Moog Modular?
    I'm just curious in case you have compared both.

5. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

6. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Fiction,

My opinion on the difference between softube and Arturia is the softube has a more strident, forward, stiff character to it's sound. There is a slight "buzzy" quality that is present in the sound no matter how you configure the modules.

The Arturia has more of a complex and rich tone and feel but also slightly washed out, flatter and grainy, lacking the punch of the softube.

I wouldn't say one is easier to navigate than the other. If you have any experience working with the hardware you may find the mouse workflow slightly exhausting. I do.

I think for different functions they each have their strengths. I think the Moog is possibly better for drones and pads, the Softube probably excels with up front bass parts and arps.

I also noticed that the Softube is much harder on the processors than Arturia.

CB

7. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

I own it , it's the best sounding soft synth I have . It's miles above anything else in my opinion including Arturia collection.

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

That distinct distortion you get from Moog's ladder filter is awesome on basses.
    Nothing else comes close. In my opinion.

If you compare them without any add-ons though, you can get far more whacked out sounds on Arturia's Moog Modular.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Thanks everyone for the elaborate answers! They're exactly what I was hoping for :wink:

@xbitz: Funny that you posted this, I use a similar setup with a blofeld as source, but I did learn a few things from the vid. Great one.

I might indeed try the Pulsar Modular, I'm especially interested in good band pass and resonant high pass filters - the only thing I'm actually missing on the Sub37.
    That's why we tend to own more than one synth, right? :winker:

@Pinkman: Hey, why not put the Arturia Modular's output into the Sub37? I'll try that one day.
    I might also try to put a MK2-Tube Vitalizer after the Arturia Modular, because it often changed exactly the flat, "washed out" sound of weaker virtual synths into something powerful, "buzzy" and "in-your-face, much more than any compressor could do. Totally different sound.

BTW, do you guys know the free Sonigen Modular for Windows? I like it too because it's a small, quick and easy alternative and it reminds me a bit of the Nord Modular.

10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@fiction Next time I get my hands on the Sub37 I'll try that. What I did try was running my guitar audio through Ableton Live's Looper then into ModularFX, all in open C tuning. Fun times.

11. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Modulars are nice toys for killing time, but in the final mix the individual character is lost and the same sounds can be replicated, if you know what are you doing, with layering several less complex patches.
    Btw, why is Softube modelling the cheap eurorack? I thought that people are more interested in the more expensive or esoteric stuff like Serge, Buchla and so on.

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

The "cheap" Eurorack can hold a plethora of different-sounding oscillators, filters, envs, lfos, fx and whatnot, some no more available, and each with a different sonic character. I remember more than ten (!) different filter modules that are or were available from Doepfer alone.
    Softube seem to aim at building up a library of such modules, although these will all be separate purchases, so not too interesting for me. Like 23322332 said, we could likely tweak existing stuff to replicate the sounds closely enough.

13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

What ModularFX are you using?
    OSCiLLOT?

14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Softube's ModularFX.

15. robotboy

robotboy Producer

If you haven't already, you should check out the modular synth documentary I Dream Of Wires (http://www.idreamofwires.org). Lots of Eurorack enthusiasts in that one.

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

IMO when people found out that they were selling the modules separately a lot of the hype died down. I know that's when I stopped paying attention. Don't double dip me, Softube. I bought Bazille instead. That thing's filters are spectacular in their own right

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List