Softube introduces Console 1 Fader

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by The Pirate, Oct 25, 2019.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

To further improve the workflow advantages that Console 1 brings, Softube has decided to bring us Console 1 Fader. The sale price is $699. https://www.softube.com/products/fader#/

CF1.jpg

Console 1 Fader gives you ten 100mm faders for use in your DAW or for controlling UA Apollo console software while tracking. Use it to control aspects of your mix simultaneously, effectively gain-riding the mix as though it were an instrument. Pair it with Console 1 for an analog experience in the digital world, or use it on its own as an intuitive fader bank.

Each fader gives you a solo button, a mute button, a polarity-invert switch, and a bypass button. The fader can be USB powered, but if you use the included power supply, you can take advantage of the motorized capabilities and touch sensitivity.

Console 1 Fader corresponds with certain select Softube plug-ins to give you functionalities beyond level control. When paired with Drive or Channel Strip plug-ins, you can use the faders to push Drive and Character parameters, as well as high-cut, and low-cut. You can effectively control the sound of the plug-in itself with your fader.

A pan control is provided, but if you hold shift on your keyboard while twisting the knob, it becomes a stereo-width control. Layer Mode allows you to create VCA-like groups for the faders, so you can create drum groups, vocal groups, and instrument groups irrespective of the DAWs layout.

You'll note transport controls that also double as place-holders for assignable key commands. If you want to patch your undo function to a transport button, you can easily do that. It's also possible to send directly from each fader to a bus, which is useful for sending tracks to reverb, delay, or parallel compression, all from the Console 1 Fader.

Transport Controls
    The assignable transport buttons work as a regular keyboard and allow you to assign key-commands (undo, save, etc.) to a button. By default, these buttons are transport controls and compatible with major DAWs, but they can be configured and customized.
    Fader Modes
    The faders can be used for output volume. They can also be assigned to control parameters such as Drive, Drive Character, High Cut, Low Cut, Input Gain, and Sends. These are configurable depending on the plug-in present on a given track.
    Page Up/Down
    Use Page Up or Page Down faders toggle among banks of ten faders each. This is especially useful for large mixes.
    Layer Mode
    This feature allows you to create layers of tracks, rearrange tracks, or organize tracks with another layout than the track order in your DAW. This makes it easy to create a page with a drum group, guitar group, vocal group, and more, so you can organize your mix more effectively.

• Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

now this looks more like it. if they make a 16 or (18 by this standard) i'd be interested and my drop the hammer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Marcsal

Marcsal Kapellmeister

A 16 fader unit and double Console1 will make a killer set up at a vefy reasonable price.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Two very good ideas. Recently I have seen a lot of discounts and give-aways with Console 1 Mk 2 which makes me think that there is a Console 1 Mk 3 in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Moonlight It is nothing more than a DAW controller. Moreover, its motorized faders and buttons feel cheap. Its big advantage is its full integration with Studio One and a couple of other DAWs. It is not what you would want in a pro studio. Presonus had the opportunity to really create a beast and decided to build a chihuahua. It can't compete in quality and tactile feedback with either the Avid S series or the Softube offering. The motorized faders on Console 1 Fader and overall construction is of much higher quality. Furthermore, via its software, you get a couple of vintage analog board emulations on each channel. To Presonus credit, it has done what other DAW developers decided to ignore. It has built a hardware controller for its DAW. It also has kept its price very affordable. Indeed, a new open box Faderport 8 can be purchased for $300. Get me some meters on each channel and a pan on the Faderport 16 alog with higher quality faders and I will use it.

If you have a touch screen monitor or iPad/Tablet I will use it instead of spending money on the Faderport.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Since we got off topic here and @Zenarcist mentioned the remote app for Studio One, it is worth noting that it does work with the non-legit version. You can also install it not only on a tablet or iPad but on different computers, and as long as those computers are connected to, or have access to the network you can control Studio One from another room or remote location in real-time.

11. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Oh yeah, you can use those low quality 30mm faders for accurate mixing and adjustment decisions. :deep_facepalm: As you said it:
    Accordingly, there could be some people that actually follow your advice and think that a $5 dollar 30 mm fader can rival those found in the Softube, AVID and even Presonus.

13. alcyppa

alcyppa Noisemaker

Yeah but that network needs to be off the net or the remote app won't work.

Or at least it was like that when I've tried it few months ago.

14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I am currently teaching a guy in music production and engineering and he has a console 1 at home. Pretty cool workflow. But sometimes the thing becomes unresponsive and he had to unconnect and reconnect again. I expect a lot more reliabilty from a controller that coasts around 500 Dollors… and I also don't like that the plugins you can control with it are limited to Softube and a selection of UAD plugins only. There could be something like a mapping editor for it to map out plugins you'd like to choose beside their overpriced plugins.

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This looks great, but I think they need to review the pricing maybe. When you think of the competition it has once you get to the price territory of a Console 1 + Console 1 Fader for the full experience, you're then into competition with Mackie Control Universal Pro, Avid Artist Mix, Avid S1 and way above other devices like the Presonus Faderport 8 and 16 and the Icon Qcon Pro G2, Icon Qcon Pro X. Granted, some of these don;t have the 1-to-1 mapping with a plugin etc, but can be mapped to have the functions but have other pros like screens, built in audio interface etc.

I'd have liked to have seen something like the Console 1 price drop to £300 and Console 1 Fader come in at a max of £500, with a bundle deal for £700. I think that would have put it between the lower end stuff like the Icon's and Faderport 8 and undercute the more expensive options like the Mackie and Avid's. In that price bracket, it's only direct competition would probably have been the Faderport 16, which would be marginally more expensive.

16. Talula

Talula Rock Star

use legit version - second-hand S1 4.X Pro (license transfer/account takeover) can be founded for 100-150 USD
    also you can set up your network with specified rules and block domains/ips in router settings

17. Talula

Talula Rock Star

set up OS (drivers, power management, usb ports settings, etc.) and don't use usb hub - connect directly to desktop/laptop usb port.

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

if its quality is equal to the faderport classic it is OK for me, especially for that price ! Especially the integration into S1 roxx. 16 Fader to control anything (eq, filter, attack, all parameter which can be automated)... and that while being context sensitive, that means you can learn 16 faders to plugin parameters by plugin(it remembers the mapping by plugin), and when you close the gui you control the volumes of I haven't found any other daw which such easy mapping

19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I tried it but I do not like pointing my finger on a glass surface, i prefer a tactile fader

20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

or you block at router level :)

21. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That is like asking Rolls Royce to shave 50% off its price to make it "affordable" like a Mercedes Benz. There is a saying "you get what you pay for" The Softube hardware is a perfect example. You are paying for the quality of its parts and built. As I said, quality-wise the Faderport can't compete with Softube. There is a big difference between a cheap fader and a professional grade one. The same goes for the rest of the parts used in both units. Anyone who has had the opportunity of trying a high-end console will tell you that much. The Faderport is what it is for its price. And so is the Softube...for its price. I don't think that either one is intended to compete against the other. With that said, when it comes to hardware, there is only so much that a manufacturer can do to reduce a product price, maintain the same level of quality and still make a profit. @metaller suggested building your own for $20. Maybe he was joking. To put it into perspective let us use Midas and Behringer for comparison.
    A 5 pack of faders for the Behringer X32 will cost you $99 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...cement-fader-for-behringer-x32-mixing-console
    On the other hand, a 5-pack of faders for a Midas console will cost you $180 https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/56...endurance-motorized-100mm-faders-200mm-cable-
    In sum, I think that both Softube and Faderport have prices set on what they are. Of course, both could be better but any improvements will come at the expense of a higher price. Presonus can add a pan, meters and use better quality faders. That will put it in a class by itself. Softube could make it possible to map VSTs other than its own and UAD's. The problem is that- as of this writing-neither manufacturers is open to making modifications to their respective units.