Softube Console 1 - any limitations using hardware with software?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm considering purchasing a Softube Console 1 as I have only ever really hear good things about it! I am someone who is more productive with hands-on, tactile gear so this is why it is peaking my interest!

However, I'm just wondering whether the other console types are out there is the wild at all (such as on the sister site), and if so, are they usable with the hardware?

3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I have no idea how to translate that properly but I'am just guessing that you ask if all softube plugins are usable with console 1 and yes, they are. But from other comapanys as far as I know not.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

The Console 1 will only work with legit Softube products which (either are designed specifically for C1) or have a function that matches the knob layout of the hardware, ie. some of their eq's and compressors. It's the same with some UAD2 plugins.

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Bunford As a satisfied Console1 user since the MKI I will definitively recommend it. You will love its sound quality and workflow specially within your DAW of choice, which if my memory serves me well is Cubase? You will be able to select tracks and control their pan, volume, sends and more directly from the hardware. With Console 1 hardware you will get results much more quickly than you can with mouse and keyboard.

Contrary to what @Lieglein has stated, NOT all Softube plugins can be control from Console 1. To see which Softube plug-ins that can be controlled from Console 1, go to https://www.softube.com/products#/ and select ecosystem Console 1 as a filter. At this moment there are only 22 Softube plugins that can be controlled by Console 1. To see all Universal Audio plug-ins that can be controlled, you can go to https://www.softube.com/support/faq-console1/c1-uadplugins#/.

BTW, @notsoloud and @Bunford the software does not have to be 'legit" in order to work with the hardware. The Audiotopia's Softube release contains a couple of SSL's that will work with the Console 1 hardware without any issues. Problem is that there has not been a scene release containing the latest versions of Softube plugins, which are the Console 1 ready plugins.

Best place to purchase it: Ebay. I paid less than $400 US for mine, brand new and it included the SSL 4000E channel strip that comes with Console 1.If you buy a used Console 1 hardware make sure you get the code that came with it. Without it you cannot register it or use it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Ah thank you :shalom:. Yeah I just searched for a few plugins and I saw that they have the addition "Console 1 ready" so I simply thought all of them do. :sad:

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

If you buy in Europe, you will receive the Softube British Class A Plug-In for free!!! (189,-€)
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/softube_console_1_mk_2.htm?ref=search_prv_6

until 30.4.19

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  8. No it isn't. There isn't a UA Console 1, so if you're referring to Unison that applies to the Pre on your audio interface.

9. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

CB021E32-C6E8-4131-A79B-123A48F62745.jpeg
    I'm referring to this.

10. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

As stated above, the Softube compressors and EQs from AudioUtopia work with Console 1 but none of the consoles work with recent versions (i.e. last few years) of Console 1. In fact having legit and crackled consoles installed causes problems with the hardware so it's a good idea to remove all traces of Audioutopia console 1 files to avoid headaches.

Console 1 is good but it's essentially just a plugin with a fancy pre-configured mouse to control it, and the Console 1 puts the same plugin on every channel whereas, say, Brainworx or Waves versions of the same thing have slight variations built in to separate instances to imitate the per-channel variations and crosstalk you might expect in a real mixing desk.

Something like a Novation Launch Control XL set up to control any console emus you already have is about a third of the cost of Console 1. If your eyesight isn't great then I'd avoid the Console 1.

I do like Softube, and their customer service is great, but it's a bit of a rip-off charging so much extra for the plugins that their expensive hardware controls.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019
  11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is what my question was in essence. Good to know @The Pirate!

And it is Cubase indeed :)

12. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Unless you intend on using only Softube plugins developed for Console 1, why would you limit yourself to a limited use control surface?

I have no issue with Softube plugins, just the Console 1 approach thus far.

At least UAD gives you dedicated DSP with their interfaces without limiting what is used to control UAD plugins.

13. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

i´ll wait untill there is a console 1 hardware (like), that can handle ALL VST´s, then it makes really sense for me

14. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I've had mine for a long while and although I have no intention of being rid of it, if it just vanished in the night, I wouldn't be rushing to buy another. I like how it sounds.... I mostly use the Neve configuration, but unlike many users, I find it slows me down. I use it with Logic and it's not.... ummmmm, how you say....logical. If I move from track 7 to track 41, I want the hardware to move with me. I don't like holding shift, then page up through 10, 20, 30, then 40 then to 1 to get to 41.
    Although, if I'm doing something wrong and there's a better way, please tell me. I'm happy to feel like a fool.

15. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

In my opinion, buying a midi controller which is limited to certain plugins is the worst decision one can make, unless, you only use Softube plugins.
    If you like working with fingers consider buying one of the touch screens like:
    Slate Media Technology RAVEN MTi2 Multi-Touch Production Console
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c808--Mixing_Control_Surfaces

But still using mouse and keyboard is better especially if you wanna be precise, like using Fabfilter Pro-Q3

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I would be in for those midi controllers if the "Drehbank" of Doepfer would still exist but it seems like no one wants to have a big bunch of knobs they can control anything they want to with high quality handling. :dunno: